icon10.gif
Oh, lots of pics too PLEASE!!!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 229
Yes.. pics!

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 229
HELLO EVERYONE!!!!

YES!!!!!!!! - First one to post from the meet!!!!

So far the meet has been a blast. It is currently 7:30PM and the meet continues. So many things to try out....so little time.
tongue.gif
Impressions and pics will follow shortly from the people who attended and from those who took pictures.

I know I am having a lot of fun.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 229
It was an excellent meet, the gathering was huge and many many many equipments were present, so many as not enough electrical outlets were availalbe for everything and two rooms and a few head fiers were listening to some gear at the end of the hallway.

I think I took many pictures, probably over a 100 or so, I will have to sort through them and pick the best and edit them.

I arrived shortly after the crew was returning from their 3' o clock lunch.

got to meet tyll and ray personally, didnt converse with tyll much, but I had nice discussion with Ray through out the meet, along with Doug, which was a member that took me by surprise as I was able to converse with him about deep matters regarding walk and Faith.

Ray is a fun guy, he ran me through a test between the hornet and raptor, which I failed. I was not able to discern the audible differences between the two, the test was done via switch box, but I think I wouldve been more comfortable with a bit more time and direct connections without the switchbox, but then it wouldve been a far too complicated process to undergo. Needless to say, using the switchbox and adjusting the gain on both amps, with rays own cables, I was unable to confidently decipher any difference at all between the amps. This was very impressive, though I to get any serious and invloving comparisons, I would have to sit with both amps for a few hours, to grow a bit more familiar with the signature. I seriously tried my best to decipher the two on the spot, but couldnt do it, which means the differences if any are so minutely marginal its negligiable.

BUT,

Quite an impressive display of performance. I will definately be ordering a Hornet. Nice frequency response, very dynamic and the gain switch is very very nice! in all sincerity, the price he's asking for does not even come close the performance and sound of the tiny amp. In essence the hornet sounds closer to the $1000k+ amp running off a battery. This thing is just great. it was connected to his meridian 508 audiophile cd player with his raptor home amp and one wouldve thought the differences would be huge, but I was clearly impressed that the amp performed to home headphone amp level out of this tiny thing.

I think the hornet would be a nice high end amp for anyone seeking an inexpensive amp for both portability and home use.

Everyone in the meet was impressed by the little amp, this thing sounds like a home amp!

I also have pics of all the portable amps lined up in regards to size, which was a rare occasion.

IMO the hornet took the show in my book. Thanks LFF and Edwood for conducting this fantastic meet.

Edwood, you look like nothing I pictured you in person LOL, you are quite intimidating, you had an aura of high IQ intellegence around you, Id hate to ever have to match wits with you in a debate or argument. Id get slapped silly.

LFF a very courtieous and down to earth kind of guy, very cool person,

I also spent most of the meet talking with Borat and Rx-s7 and I think Subduiek and mustang were a couple of people that were listening to the sky blue mini version 2.

dont worry I was taking pics of EVERYTHING. pics to arrive shortly.

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 229
Hey RnB180, were you able to compare it to the SR-71?

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 229
Stax 404, Stax Lambda Sig. Pro, Headroom Millet Hybrid
stax-marantz-HRdesktop.JPG

Singlepower SDS-T (tube rectified power supply) 2 box, modded Denon 2900
SIE-SDSt-Denon2900.JPG

Meridian 508, RSA Stealth, Beyerdynamic 880
RS-meridian-stealth.JPG

Senns, Woodied Grados, G lite, SR-71, etc
senn-woody-SR21-glite.JPG

Headroom's Box-o-phones
HR-box-o-phones.JPG

Tyll's massive power conditioner, Headroom Balanced Max, Meridian 588
HR-max-Meridian.JPG

DigiPete's M3, Denon 3910
m3-denon3910.JPG

AC1's laptop
AC1-laptop.JPG

AC1's Omega 2s, KGSS with Blackgates
O2-KGSS.JPG

Edwood's porta-PC rig
ed-box.JPG

Edwood's goodies
ed-R10-K1000.JPG

yumm
ed-R10-K1000-close.JPG

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 229
Wow, looks like a real mess of spaghetti, just the way we like our LA meets!

Ed, I can't believe you dragged your whole table there!

I can't wait to hear about the stock/modded DAC1 comparison, and see the internal pics of the latter!
biggrin.gif

Hope you all had one heck of a blast, with more to come tomorrow!

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 229
[size=large]THANK YOU [/size] Tyll, Ray, LFF, Ed, and everyone who showed up today for part 1 of the meet.

Tyll and Ray, it was great chatting with the both of you over lunch. Tyll, hopefully some of the gadgets we dreamed up in our chats will come true some day. I'll be watching your site eagerly
tongue.gif

I spent quality time with only 3 rigs today. I've been to enough meets to develop my own approach, which is not to even try to hit everything, and merely concentrate on a select few.

I was extremely & pleasantly surprised by the Headroom Micro DAC, Micro Amp, and Iriver (enter model here) combo (with my Ety ER-4S). With Tyll's reference tracks, that setup was amazing. As Tyll now knows, I fell in love with a particular track, and the only setup that equally blew me away with that track was the O2/KGSS combo. Tyll, great job!

I'm tired, but it was a great day. hope you guys have fun tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 229
Finally back home in the travel trailor with the wife and kids at the San Diego KOA. This was a great meet to have as a last meet of my season on the road visiting meets. As you can see, I got a birthday cake (and it was a great one with real cream outside and yummy fruit filling layers), and I kiss from Ray; I'm still tingling all over.
eek.gif

I'll probably not get around to posting my pictures for another week or so, but I did want to thank Luis for the great meet location and the hundred or so trips to the main floor he took to let someone in the building. It was a great spot to have a two day meet and secure all the gear for the night. I'm only sorry I won't make the second day of the meet.

Well, I'm gonna hit the hay for the trip to Vegas tomorrow, but I'll be watching to see what I missed on Sunday.

I can't wait to sleep in my own bed in Montana for more than a week straight. I haven't done that since May 15th!!!

Cheers!

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 229
socal6.jpg

This is why Head-Fi is so great.. different amp makers - competitors even - loving each other like brothers.

EDIT : Wow, this is my 1000th post too.

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 229
I really like this photo sdbuik? Im not sure which head fier it was exactly, but the equipment was an Ipod mini, a sandwinder Sky blue mini version 2 and the SR-71, Im not biased just because he was using the cable at the time
smily_headphones1.gif

socal1.jpg

but the photo itself captured the essence of head fi gear, its a perfect picture of a head fier, relaxing, and just enjoying the music, the best part is his foot, if anyone noticed, his foot was tapping with the music
smily_headphones1.gif

my fav pic posted so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back