Suggestions for upgrading from q-JAYS please
Mar 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RADI0HEAD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Great forum you have here. I've been lurking here for months and although I've learned a lot I'm still not sure which way to go in upgrading my q-JAYS. I think I like a neutral or balanced sound maybe even analytical, nothing with boomy bass. I'm considering the ER-4P, CK-10 and DBA-02. The latter two are very hard to find in the states which I'm not happy about. If there are any other models I'm open to suggestions. I listen to a lot of different types of music from Sade to rock to even some Slayer. What do you guys think? Thanks so much

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
from what you mention only the ck10 id really call an upgrade, the er4 too if you drive it well but the dba is just a sidegrade

I haven't heard the DBA but to me, the er4 is lots better than the Q-jay. I just couldn't get past the treble character of them in the context of their balance and I think a 4p is already etched. I know it's personal but when the ranges sound divided, phones just don't work for me. I value that sense of seemlessness regardless of the tonal charater. You can have consecutive octaves close yet virtually any tonal balance.

Radiohead, I haven't heard the 6i. I know the Q-jays have more bass but do you genuinely prefer them? Just curiosity.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 12
Radiohead, I haven't heard the 6i. I know the Q-jays have more bass but do you genuinely prefer them? Just curiosity.

Yes, I prefer the q-jays over the er6i and this is from someone who was a big fan of the er6i having owned 3 of them over the years. To my ears the q-jays sound fuller where as the er6i now sounds kind of screechy. I can hear more kick drums and especially bass guitar notes with q's, snare drums sound a little fatter. The etys are great on crash cymbals, they sound more pronounced. On the other hand to me "ride" cymbals sound better through the q's. I like the wider sound stage of the q's. I guess a combination of both of these would be great. I just don't know what to get next as there are so many choices and sadly I don't know of any places where I can audition them.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Recommanded : Westone 4 . Neutral, analytical, no boomy bass.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 12
I was in your shoes a couple of months back where I was looking to upgrade from the q-JAYS. I eventually settled for the CK10, but W4 was completely out of the picture because of the cost. 

I haven't heard the W4 and can't really compare - but what I can confirm that if you like the sound of q-JAYS, then CK10 would be completely worth the upgrade. They are just a little better at everything that q-JAYS already do so well. They have more quality in the bass, have a much better sound-stage and positioning, and the treble is even more clear and sparkly with significantly less(but still some) sibilance. One area where they completely demolish the q-JAYS is the mids. On comparing them A/B with some trance, I realized how far in the background the mids of q-JAYS were - I would go as far to call them quite muddy when compared with CK10. The CK10 just make everything feel a lot more alive and vibrant.

Another area where the CK10 completely out-do the JAYS, is in build quality. The Japan made hardware is almost flawless, and I haven't seen anything that beats them in terms of the sheer quality that the earpieces and the cable ooze. The cable is almost memory free and it's a pleasure when I take them out of the carry case(which is quite awesome in itself), and it just unfolds so smoothly without any hint of kinks or twists. Amazing stuff!

I know that shigzeo has heard and reviewed both the CK10 and W4, so you should probably read his articles (I'm sure you already have), or try and get some additional comparisons from him.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 12
I was in your shoes a couple of months back where I was looking to upgrade from the q-JAYS. I eventually settled for the CK10, but W4 was completely out of the picture because of the cost. 

I haven't heard the W4 and can't really compare - but what I can confirm that if you like the sound of q-JAYS, then CK10 would be completely worth the upgrade. They are just a little better at everything that q-JAYS already do so well. They have more quality in the bass, have a much better sound-stage and positioning, and the treble is even more clear and sparkly with significantly less(but still some) sibilance. One area where they completely demolish the q-JAYS is the mids. On comparing them A/B with some trance, I realized how far in the background the mids of q-JAYS were - I would go as far to call them quite muddy when compared with CK10. The CK10 just make everything feel a lot more alive and vibrant.

Another area where the CK10 completely out-do the JAYS, is in build quality. The Japan made hardware is almost flawless, and I haven't seen anything that beats them in terms of the sheer quality that the earpieces and the cable ooze. The cable is almost memory free and it's a pleasure when I take them out of the carry case(which is quite awesome in itself), and it just unfolds so smoothly without any hint of kinks or twists. Amazing stuff!

I know that shigzeo has heard and reviewed both the CK10 and W4, so you should probably read his articles (I'm sure you already have), or try and get some additional comparisons from him.

Thanks so much for your impressions. I can hear exactly what you say, when listening with the q-jays I find myself wishing for the mids to be brought up and forward a little more. Anyway, I ordered the W4 last night, hope I made the right choice. I still plan on trying the CK-10 as well. When is this madness going to stop?

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 12
As you can afford to spend for W4, I'm sure they would be right up your alley in terms of sound. Do let us know your impressions, once you receive them.

The madness: Probably never! (or maybe once you are bankrupt)

Quote:
Thanks so much for your impressions. I can hear exactly what you say, when listening with the q-jays I find myself wishing for the mids to be brought up and forward a little more. Anyway, I ordered the W4 last night, hope I made the right choice. I still plan on trying the CK-10 as well. When is this madness going to stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back