Suggestions for desktop DAC/AMP
Sep 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

revolutionz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, been doing a lot of searching over the last couple days, and just cant seem to find what I'm looking for.  Here's what I'm working with:

I have a laptop and my PS3 at my desk.  I want to use USB out to the DAC from my laptop, and optical from my PS3.  Connecting to it I will be using my Shure SE846, and possibly in the near future, a pair of HD650 or HD700.  I also want a line out to run the DAC to my desktop speakers.

Options I have looked at are:

Audinst HUD-MX2
Audioengine D1
Topping D3

What I am looking for, are something similar to these amps, with a sound signature that would be similar to my RSA Shadow that I use for my portable setup.  My budget is ~$500, but these all seem to be on the lower end of the budget.  While I know price isn't the end all, is there something very similar to these that would be a couple hundred more that would offer a noticeably better DAC/Amp? Is there anything better that I should be looking at for my particular needs?  Thanks in advance.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I have been leaning towards the Audinst, but was hoping for something a couple hundred more that might offer better DAC/Amp section.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 6
I have been leaning towards the Audinst, but was hoping for something a couple hundred more that might offer better DAC/Amp section.

If I were looking in your budget (not quite there yet), I'd be considering the Compass 2:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631659/audio-gd-compass-2-amp-dac-impressions-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/385759/the-audio-gd-compass-was-designing-an-alternative-to-the-zero-dac-amp

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I finally found a few that I am going to try and find in a store to try out.  They are:

Nuforce Icon HDP
NAD D 1050
or CEntrance DacMini with the 1ohm output mod.  This is the most expensive, but I think it will pair best with my SE846's, since they only have an impedance of 9ohms.  More than I wanted to spend, but if the sound is right, it should last quite a while before I want to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back