Suggestions for an album
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pm0unt

New Head-Fier
So I was having a discussion today about how digital delivery has changed how we listen to music, and most of the participants indicated that they didn't really listen to albums anymore, just individual songs.  Some of these guys are young, too, so the idea of listening to a whole album hadn't really entered their minds.  Now, I'm not old, but I certainly remember when CD players were uncommon, CD-Rs nonexistant, and MP3s not invented.  Back in those days if you wanted a playlist, you made a mixtape.  Remember?

At any rate, I've decided to do more album-oriented listening, and I need some suggestions.  Here are a few of my favorite albums to listen to beginning to end:

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Bon Jovi - New Jersey (don't hate)
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites

I'm looking for albums that have great flow, seem to tell a story across the tracks, and are maybe a bit different from stuff I usually listen to.  Concept albums are cool, I really liked Deltron 3030, and I'll even listen to that Queensryche album every once in a while.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I'll do three albums a decade:  (And I'm assuming you already know about famous ones, ie Pet Sounds, DSOTM, Sgt Pepper, Court of Crimson King)
60's
Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Zombies- Odessey and Oracle
Duncan Browne - Give Me, Take You

70's
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Big Star - #1 Record
Comus - First Utterance

Let's Pretend the 80's never happened.

90's
Elliott Smith - XO
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Radiohead - OK Computer

00's
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Andrew Bird- The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park Edit: Grizzly Bear - Yellow House

Mainly concept albums, a couple that are just really solid as albums throughout. This is all stuff that's on my ipod right now, and are not a "best of" list by any means, just some great albums/concept albums off the top of my head. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Good call on the Village Green Preservation Society! I was going to recommend that, too.

Here's a few I enjoy start to finish:

Red Headed Stranger, Willie Nelson (a country concept album - really!)
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, the Flaming Lips
Dusk at Cubist Castle, the Olivia Tremor Control
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Wilco
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Neutral Milk Hotel
Funeral, Arcade Fire
SMiLE, Brian Wilson
Terroir Blues, Jay Farrar
Sound-Dust, Stereolab
Love Kraft, Super Furry Animals

All of those flow well from one song to the next and I love to just let them play through.

I used to jump around to different tracks a lot, but the turntable got me to settle down. I got used to listening start-to-finish and prefer it now.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 5
A triple album ought to do it..

Wikipedia:
1979 saw the release of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, a three act rock opera about the life of a young musician named Joe, set in a dystopian future where music was made illegal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back