Suggestions for a IEM Under $100 (Motorcycle Helmet w/Sansa Clip+)
Sep 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 25
You know it's illegal and will possibly kill you.... right?

I'm just making sure that you know that if you are wearing them, you won't be able to hear the blaring horn of the car slamming into you, the IEM of your choice being implanted into you head and the cop going "wham, whamp, whamp, wah, whah" translate to "you know that's illegal for your safety"

This is for your safety, not that I'm trying to ruin your time or whatnot.

I ride a Honda Super Sport CBX and i wouldn't test myself with anything in my ears. Especially when my engine can over-rev and just go flying off. In the most graceful sense of the idea. "bye bye"

But other then that, Shure then. I like the clear

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 25
I personally would go for the SE215 over the Westones.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 25
I am a fellow rider and for the last several years I have been using the Creative EP-630 (Sennheiser CX300 clone) which provides remarkably good sound and noise isolation for the price (~$20), and most importantly, are low profile.  I recently bought the Creative Aurvana 3 which provide better clarity and detail than the EP-630 and are also low profile.  However, with the wind and engine noise, I don't think you gain much by going with a more expensive IEM as you are not focused as much on the music as you are on the road.  Lastly, the EP-630 has survived four years of being yanked on (accidentally from time to time) when I have removed my helmet so they are pretty durable.  I don't think you can go wrong with the Creative EP/Sennheiser CX series.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 25

I purchased the Shure s215 and the Westone 1 for motorcycling. After listening to them I thought the Shure s215 sounded great for low and mids- highs were a hair muddy it seemed; However, almost sounded like a dual driver. It really came down to the fact that the s215 didn't fit my inner ear canal that well. I put in the Westone 1 noticed the clarity and lightweight  "ness" about them and was worried but not only was the fit wonderful the sound was crystal clear and fitment was amazing. In regards to sound the Westone 1 didn't have but some of the bass and ok mids with exceptional highs0 In my opinion it's a very balanced sound without the "Gimmicks"... 

As of today I returned the Shure s215 as I'm KEEPING the Westone 1. 

A HUGE THANKS TO: = )
Headphone Solutions
Divisions of FMA Solutions Inc.

THIS COMPANY IS AWESOME AND HIGHLY RECOMMENED!!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Im in the exact same boat as you. ive found a few places that will let me try them on first so im gonna bring my helmet with me and try them on first if they fit then ill worry about isolation and last sq right now im looking at westone 1s or etymotic hf 5. If you got them i would love to hear which ones you got and how they worked out for you if not ill let you know after i try them on.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 25
I reviewed them here... Went with the Westone 1! Perfect...

I purchased the Shure s215 and the Westone 1 for motorcycling. After listening to them I thought the Shure s215 sounded great for low and mids- highs were a hair muddy it seemed; However, almost sounded like a dual driver. It really came down to the fact that the s215 didn't fit my inner ear canal that well. I put in the Westone 1 noticed the clarity and lightweight  "ness" about them and was worried but not only was the fit wonderful the sound was crystal clear and fitment was amazing. In regards to sound the Westone 1 didn't have but some of the bass and ok mids with exceptional highs0 In my opinion it's a very balanced sound without the "Gimmicks"... 

As of today I returned the Shure s215 as I'm KEEPING the Westone 1. 

A HUGE THANKS TO: = )
Headphone Solutions
Divisions of FMA Solutions Inc.

THIS COMPANY IS AWESOME AND HIGHLY RECOMMENED!!!

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 25
Soundmagic PL50 with Comply tips,  Very low profile phones and the comply tips allow a great degree of wind noise suppression.  Have used in helmet speakers and the Soundmagic set up and the IEM route is definitely the one to take.  Of course custom moulded would be a better solution but I could never justify the cost particularly as there is a fair degree of wear and tear when using a helmet (taking on/off and snagging the wire etc).

Andy80F

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 25
I know you have found a solution, but for those who use search to find information later, this may be useful. The best headphones for helmet use are the flattest. Helmets are supposed to be decently tight, tight enough to snugly hug your head, if there is any free movement it is too big. Bearing that in mind, the headphones need to be next to completely flat, I'm talking they remain inside the ear cavity. Over the ear is therefore a must, I've tried a few that wear straight down and it inevitably gives me a headache within half an hour. PL50's are good for this, PL30's are ok, as are MEelec M6, probably q-jays as well.

Secondly, sound quality is really not important. Why? Because you pay most attention to your riding and not the music, it's going to be background noise and that's just a simple fact. In addition, there are many other noises that filter in past the phones that ruin the quality anyway. Lastly, you're out riding, the point is to enjoy the ride not listen to music.

Quote:
You know it's illegal and will possibly kill you.... right?

You know you're a blithering moron and have no clue... right?

1. The is the biggest point by miles. You say you don't test yourself with anything in your ears. Well if you wear a helmet (not sure if you are in the backwards places that still think living in the stone ages means personal liberty), particularly a full-face helmet, you are constantly subject to 100+ dB of high pitched swirling wind noise through your helmet. This does two things. a) it damages your hearing b) it brings you much closer to the sensory overload point. I find the wind noise at much over 120-130 km/h is pretty much unbearable when trying to properly concentrate on your twisty road riding, that is when riding without hearing protection my brain doesn't let me get over about 80 mph on the mountain and hill country roads because the input is just too much. But it does damage your hearing, I would put it nearly on par with drumming in terms of loudness - go talk to any drummer about hearing loss.

I normally wear the foam insert ear plugs that are about 29 dB attenuators. I think most IEM's are around 19-20 dB, not as much but quite reasonable. With these in the sensory input of the wind in ears has disappeared and can fully concentrate on what the eye's see not what the ears tell. That top speed barrier falls to dust.

2. You can't hear other traffic anyway. You just can't. You might be able to hear a horn in close range or a truck accelerating and compression braking or other bikes, but that's all. You can't even hear a car creeping up beside you. Riding is all done with the eyes and if you start leaving things to your ears, you are selling yourself short. Add to this an aftermarket exhaust kit and most of all you can hear is your bike and wind noise.

3. It's not illegal so stop passing on old wives tales unless you can back it up. It's certainly not in Australia, nor anywhere else that I've hear of. Prove me wrong, the road rules for your particular locality should be readily available from your road authority so find the particular rule that mentions riding with phones under your helmet. Do you know that specifically designed speaker kits have been made for helmets? As well as cb radios and bluetooth sets for communicating within a group. These all use headphones or speakers.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 25
SE215's are good

Any Etymotic is going to have way to much Noise Isolation its just how they are.

The Westone 1 isn't very good, the 2 is much better, I know the Klipsch Image X5's and X10's are TINY but over $100. Tyll at inerfidelity had a review of a couple he rode with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back