Suggestions for $1000 CD Player
Sep 25, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 55
So I went to SF Stereo in Mountain View. I listened to Musical Fidelity A3.2, Rega Planet, and Rega Jupiter. They were all in a speaker setup with different amps, so the "audition" is somewhat rigged. The Musical Fidelity sound definitely has more detail than the Jupiter or Planet. However, although I couldn't put my finger on it, the Jupiter and Planet seem to have more rhythm than the Musical Fidelity. Either that or I am just fascinated with the Rega Starship Enterprise transport!

I couldn't discern any sonic difference between the Jupiter and Planet, although the Jupiter definitely has the better build quality. The Jupiter has an underside heatsink, a metal lid clamp, and is definitely heavier. Although the Jupiter is within my budget, I couldn't get myself to fork the extra dough when the Planet is almost as good and also has excellent build quality.

I ended up with a Rega Planet 2000, in black.
280smile.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #32 of 55
A great buy PATB.

A friend of mine has a Rega Planet (in an all Rega system), and you're right about the way it has a grip on the rhythm of the music. Get's your foot tapping for sure!

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #33 of 55
Man, I wish I could plug into a Rega Planet everyday. Have Fun with it PATB. BTW I was just reading this, and maybe someone has already mentioned something along these lines, but that Jolida JD 100A looks pretty neat, and I think its under a grand too. According to the review done by Elrod-Tom (which btw was an excellent review in its own right) it rocks. Hey just a thought.

Isaiah

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #34 of 55
Get yourself a used EAD 2000. For the money, you absolutely cannot beat
it. It uses Pioneer stable platter system, and has very low jitter.

I'd avoid Sony product like the plague. All Sony units I've ever owned have
a dark, slightly muddy sound.

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
I ended up with a Rega Planet 2000, in black.
280smile.gif

Me to, hopefully I'll have mine early to mid next week.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 55
If you are looking for build quality and want detailed music, you may want to consider Musical Fidelity's X-Ray at just less than $1,000. It seems to be built like a tank, and played very detailed when I auditioned it against a Rega Planet 2K. while I did not end up buying either, I leaned towards the Planet as far as a sound that I liked. Right now, I am still getting used to my Rega Jura speakers that I purchased instead of the Planet.
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #37 of 55
I love the planet so much, I am thinking of getting the Rega Mira integrated amplifier and Rega Jura speakers to build an all Rega system. The problem is I really enjoy listening to my headphones via the SR-71, and swapping between the Mira and the SR-71 will be too much hazzle. Unless I get a preamp to plug the SR-71 into. Oh, and I also saw this Rega planet turntable that mates perfectly with the Mira,....this never ends.
evil_smiley.gif

I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell you that the planet is a player you can listen to ALL DAY. I can't say the same with my low end Denon and Ipod mini. The planet gives me a musical listening experience I never had before. It also makes me appreciate Jazz and Classical a lot more. With my iPod and the Denon, I only liked listening to alternative and country-rock. Weird.

Sep 27, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #38 of 55
Considering your particular situation, I would definitely look very seriously at the universal player market. For your budget, there are many great choices and you get a player that can pull double duty and remain useful long after you may have moved on to something else.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
If you are looking for build quality and want detailed music, you may want to consider Musical Fidelity's X-Ray at just less than $1,000. It seems to be built like a tank, and played very detailed when I auditioned it against a Rega Planet 2K. while I did not end up buying either, I leaned towards the Planet as far as a sound that I liked. Right now, I am still getting used to my Rega Jura speakers that I purchased instead of the Planet.
biggrin.gif

The MF X-Ray must be burned in for at for least 150 hrs before it sounds it's best. The X-Ray is a special player, and in IMO bests the Regas. There's also a player called the (don't laugh) the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb (pronounced "new tube") that's avaliable at Upscale Audio. The player costs about a grand, uses tubes, and has gotten excellent reviews in the audio press.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #40 of 55
For $1000, you could probably find a modded Jolida JD-100. Read my review in the stickies for more info. It's an exceptional value IMHO.

Sep 28, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #41 of 55
If you can find a used Meridian 508.20 or 508.24 for the money you are looking to spend you won't regret it.
Best source I've ever owned and even though mine is about 7 yrs old I can't imagine letting it go. Great svc from Meridian too.
CPW

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #42 of 55
Well I will let the secret out about the Rega Planet 2K, if you add an aftermarket cord, it unlocks even more.
smily_headphones1.gif
A friend and I did some testing this weekend and had even bigger smiles switching between the stock cable and a DH Labs AC Power Plus cable.

Enjoy your new Rega. I'm going back to listening to Madeleine Peyroux's Careless Love on my Planet 2K.

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo
Well I will let the secret out about the Rega Planet 2K, if you add an aftermarket cord, it unlocks even more.
smily_headphones1.gif
A friend and I did some testing this weekend and had even bigger smiles switching between the stock cable and a DH Labs AC Power Plus cable.

Enjoy your new Rega. I'm going back to listening to Madeleine Peyroux's Careless Love on my Planet 2K.

I wonder how my Quail power cord will perform with it?

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
I'll give a vote for the Sound Odyssey Level 3 Music Hall. For $1090 it will beat the socks off of anything in that price range. The Never Connected PS for the clock does wonders for the sound. I haven't heard the Rega, but the NC smoothed out the sound incredibly.

Well I'm glad you like it since I ordered one almost a week ago to replace a JVC DVD-A changer that jams so often I left the screws out of the cover. It only cost me about $150 though. Having ordered the fully modded Music Hall from Sound Odyssey sound-unheard based on the very good reviews of it, and more importantly, lack of bad ones, I'm excited(and a little nervous) about getting it.
plainface.gif
Haven't checked the UPS tracking in five minutes - Dang it, not shipped yet!

Oct 10, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
So far, I am really tempted in getting a Naim CD5i as somebody posted. If that sounds as good as it looks -- that will be my first real CD source. A dealer in San Francisco has a new one in the box ($1650) and a floor model. They also have the Rega Jupiter ($1700) in stock.

PATB.

A caution with a Naim CD5i. Its forward treble and out of proportion bass might not agree with Grado fones. I would suggest ask your dealer about a Naim CD5. ( this is discontinued. but it is better-rounded player than a newer CD5i. imho ) You can also upgrade a CD5 later on by adding on a power supply which makes a dramatic improvement whilst you can't upgrade a CD5i.For sure, listen to a CD5i with your Grado before commit.

With Grado, Rega might not be a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back