suggestion to people--move away from pay pal
Nov 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #17 of 25
Yeah, I just had my Paypal account unlocked. It was locked after the big PSN hack, when someone tried to log into it (don't remember if they actually managed to log in and changed the password, or it just automatically sent a message after X tries).
The thing is, one of the steps to unlocking it required verification using a credit card, which I don't have. And no, even linking to my bank account didn't work until I contacted the customer service, which took a few days, including changing my password and security questions - not that I haven't done it a few times before to be sure (and yet I still feel like I've left a piece of paper with my info on a street, or at least sold my soul to the devil)...

Sadly, I can think of no other often-used international money transfer option (actually I created my account because of you guys, and the trade/sell forum here (and the user-made AVOTT NiN live album, but that, a bit different story) - for local payments I can just transfer money directly)...

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 25
The reason i use paypal (as a customer) is that i don't have to worry as much.

for example, when Mp4Nation shipped my item 18 days late and it never came (the tracking number was invalid as well), I messaged Mp4Nation through paypal (so paypal can see), they never responded. When i asked paypal themselves to decide what should happen, they gave me a refund in like 5 minutes, that easy!

I can see why paypal can be a b!tch to sellers though, and i know there are buyers that will take advantage of that.

and btw, i will never buy anything from MP4Nations again. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 25
Unfortunately, you are blacklisted from PayPal for life. PayPal has an advance cross-referencing system that tracks your name/address/IPS/banking/CC/Social Security. Basically, you will not be able to register again if even one of these things show up. I'm not sure if we're hearing the full story since your feedback has some blemishes here as well.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 25
I came across a new system recently, Dwolla.

Only 25¢ per transaction, no matter the amount.

I haven't used Dwolla, but the principle seems sound. They cover their costs and don't nail you with a percentage. I'd be willing to give Dwolla a try.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #22 of 25
Ever hear of bitcoins? Too bad those arent more popular and stable :frowning2: Imagine if the whole worlds currency was bitcoins, and like you could transfer your digital ones to "Cash" physical bitcoins and back without accounts or anything, but its never gonna happen...

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 25
I am not a fan, but still use them.  I am very small volume - hundreds a year in gross transactions, or less.  I sold one computer for parts on ebay (successfully, no complaints from buyer, but no feedback from him), and they immediately threw a 3 week freeze on any money coming into the account due to sales.  They randomly lifted it about 12 weeks later.  Weird, and inconvenient.  I don't like them!

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
I am not a fan, but still use them.  I am very small volume - hundreds a year in gross transactions, or less.  I sold one computer for parts on ebay (successfully, no complaints from buyer, but no feedback from him), and they immediately threw a 3 week freeze on any money coming into the account due to sales.  They randomly lifted it about 12 weeks later.  Weird, and inconvenient.  I don't like them!

The only reason I like them (as a buyer) is that its easy for me to get my money back IF its faulty or it doesn't arrive.

I can definitely see why PayPal sucks for sellers though, because some people will take advantage of that.

I ordered some cheap Galaxy Tab 7" case from ebay and it didn't fit at all, I just told PayPal: "the device's back is rounded but the case's back is flat so it doesn't fit", I expected PayPal to ask me for proof or something, but no, they just gave me a refund without any questions asked. 

Using Paypal for me is like an insurance.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #25 of 25
I applaud any effort to dump these idiots.

I have had my current account frozen by PP because I refuse to submit additional personal information to them.  Since I've bought some kilobuck pieces of gear from vendors, PP wants various IDs and documentation. I've never had a payment issue or problem with my account.  PP just wants to stick its nose into my purchases and make itself more intrusive. No other vendor payment system or credit card company I use has requested such info.  I've refused so  far just on principle, and the desire to keep my online footprint low.  So now i make purchases as a guest using other payment methods.

I am now facing a potential dispute with ALO Audio (see the vendor feedback forum for more details) and wonder if this will impact PP's willingness deal with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back