suggestion to people--move away from pay pal
Nov 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I'm having a hard time finding people take google checkout, which is a simple CC/debit card payment. seems people are still stuck to pay pal/afraid to move away from it.

Just wanted to point out that PP are one of the worst companies in the world. I won't go into it too much but I was a member for 10 yrs and gave them tens of thousands in fees. Being high volume I had a bad month, handful of problem customers, due to international delays.

suddenly my account is locked and blacklisted, thousands frozen. I fell into a Kafkaesque maze which cost me thousands, frozen accounts, taking money out of my bank without permission, one nightmare after another.

My brother and my GF would later access their PP accounts from my home, and both of them are now black listed and can never have an account with them again. it is totally insane. millions have had similar problems.

not saying quit, i know it is convenient, but I'm still surprised how many users are clinging to PP and refuse to even look at alternatives. and how many sites and businesses only use it. if you haven't had problems, you very easily could like millions out there have. it is inevitable. I thought everyone knew this by now but yet I keep getting turned away from deals since they only want PP

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 25
I've read a lot of the horror stories on the wall of shame its pretty scary haha.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 25
I don't think anyone doing low volume/low dollar transactions ever has problems with Paypal, but as soon as you step out of those criteria you're bound to have a nightmarish conflict with them eventually.  Their actual customer service is terrible.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 25
I want to, but google checkout and amazon whatever aren't really on many sites, it's convenient with your ebay account and buying stuff on the same day.

They say you should never leave any money in the account, they can freeze it and you can't do anything about it. I also like how they always side with buyers no matter what, even if they are liars.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 25
It's too convenient to step away. As a customer 90% of the time and only doing small transactions, I've got nothing to complain about 
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 25
I'm really not a fan of Paypal and I always use alternate methods when purchasing from stores, but for interpersonal transactions it's pretty much universally defined, making it hard to move to other options.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 25
I haven't closed the account yet, but I haven't used it in about a year.

I'll probably kill it shortly when I dump my "Too Big To Fail" bank and move everything to a credit union. I expect to do so by the end of the year.

No, I don't have a PayPal horror story, but the company frightens me and is too expensive. I've only bought with money orders and credit cards.

As for dealing with PayPal's freezes and other crap, I'd just sue them. They probably have an arbitration clause, but screw it. Small claims them and it'll get kicked over to legal. Legal will be a lot more responsive than some customer service rep. They'll be much more motivated to settle things than compel arbitration. Of course, suing will probably get you blacklisted forever, but who cares?

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 25
Here's my recent story, copied straight from the AT 50th Anniversary thread:

I pre-ordered the W3000ANV from PriceJapan initially, but for some reason PayPal decided to reverse the transaction and limit my account. Putting it on lockdown, basically. Having called customer service, they say it's because the payment was "so large."

Which I find odd, considering I've sent twice as much over PayPal on various occasions in the past with nary a hitch.

Ended up having PriceJapan cancel my order. I didn't want to make Kaneda wait for PayPal's "investigation" (which I was told would take 4 to 5 days), and I couldn't do a bank transfer since PayPal credited the amount to my PayPal account, and it would take additional time once cleared to have it redirected BACK to my bank account.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 25
I hate paypal too, but there are no other easy alternatives for small transactions.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 25
I still use it fairly often. I wish Amazon payments had caught on more than it did as I vastly prefer that. 

I also use ebay fairly often so there's that. Sankyo scroll "flip clock" here I come. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 25
I don't do a whole lot with PayPal but I haven't had any problems.  I guess I haven't given them many chances to be a problem.  It would be nice if there was a much easier way to conduct a transaction without so many middle organizations getting in the way.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 25
i never had an issue with them before. i only use pre-paid debits with them anyways and if i have to make a transfer higher then 500 i'll just use my bank or load up two debit cards and later on dispose of them

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding people take google checkout, which is a simple CC/debit card payment. seems people are still stuck to pay pal/afraid to move away from it.

Just wanted to point out that PP are one of the worst companies in the world. I won't go into it too much but I was a member for 10 yrs and gave them tens of thousands in fees. Being high volume I had a bad month, handful of problem customers, due to international delays.

suddenly my account is locked and blacklisted, thousands frozen. I fell into a Kafkaesque maze which cost me thousands, frozen accounts, taking money out of my bank without permission, one nightmare after another.

My brother and my GF would later access their PP accounts from my home, and both of them are now black listed and can never have an account with them again. it is totally insane. millions have had similar problems.

not saying quit, i know it is convenient, but I'm still surprised how many users are clinging to PP and refuse to even look at alternatives. and how many sites and businesses only use it. if you haven't had problems, you very easily could like millions out there have. it is inevitable. I thought everyone knew this by now but yet I keep getting turned away from deals since they only want PP

That's an incrediable story. I'd like to hear PP's version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back