Suggest good "Closed" set for gaming ?
Jun 27, 2010 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Grackdor

New Head-Fier

Hi all,
 I wonder if I could please get a few suggestions from the folks who know their headphones !  

I am looking for set that will be used almost exclusively for computer gaming. ( Building a new rig soon.)   I had done some reading, and  *was*  thinking on getting the Audio-Technica ATH-A700's.

However, I'm having a tough time finding a decent source (I'm in Canada), and a local dealer can order them for $230. + tax.  More than I had hoped to spend. I do want new, rather than a used set.

So now, I am wondering what alternatives to this set I should be looking at.
 My main criteria for these cans would be:

- Closed  (somewhat noisy surrondings,want to isolate somewhat)

- MUST be very comfortable with eyeglasses  ( for use a couple hours at a time- heat/sweating not really an issue, and don't want to feel like my head's in a vice.)

- Terrific  "soundstage"  for in-game sound positioning.

- Preferably lower impedance  (haven't bought a soundcard yet, but likely will, and willing get one with an amp, if the cans are that good and need it because of their impedance.)

- Budget...well, $250 is just too much, but I don't mind spending say over $75 but under $200 for a really awesome set.

I have read SO many gamers recommending the open-version (ATH-AD700's)  for their soundstage and comfort. I really do need a closed set,unfortunately. I have read enough now that I know not to look for the multi-drivers (5.1) gaming sets....I want real quality headphones instead.

So, if I may ask for some expert opinions and advice from the knowledgeable people here, I would be appreciate it very much.
Thanks in advance !

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 5
HD25-1 from Sennheiser. Used to play Medal of Honor for a couple of years with these headphones and was very pleased.

-$200
-great isolation
-good soundpositioning
-70ohm

Notice the comfort issue though. While comfortable as heck for maybe 2 max 3 hours they will start hurting a bit. I think most owners will confirm this. I've got velour pads on them which is a bigger comfort but the strain will come after some hours of use. But hey, I think any headphone will do this. A bigger issue is you, them and glasses. I put the HD25 on for a sec but I see no room whatsoever for normal glasses. Then again, what headphone will?

Oh, and they make great (portable) headphones for listening and can take multiple beatings to the floor!

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi,

I don't do PC gaming BUT I do console gaming. If you are looking for "close" cans I would suggest the Sennhieser PC350.

Warning: Senns PC350 are power hungry so better have a good soundcard or amp. Also, PC350 WILL NOT reach their peek till 100+ hours of burn in.

Here is a link of my set up. Like I said I do console gaming and I use HD595 and PC350 as back up. http://gamebattles.com/profile/tipsyelite02/photos?id=3228821

****As far as mic there is a lot of choices, but if you want to use the Labtec LVA7330 "they are awesome"

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 5
 Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I will start doing some 'surfing about these sets .

A couple follow-up questions,if that's okay.

@  iiTipZ :   I see in your Sig that you also have the Audio-Technica AD-700. How would you rate the Senn PC350 in comparison ?  (Soundstage, positional sounds.)

And, would you think they fit too snug to comfortably wear eyeglasses for a couple hours ?

Any other recommendations  out there ? 

Thanks again ! 

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Well in regards to my AD700 they are great cans for GAMING ONLY. Note that they are open cans so sound leakage is to be excepted. Sound stage is huge on these but bass is def. lacking.(which is not that important for gaming). Positional sounds are also great. I use them only as back up. When I go to LANs I use my PC350. As far as AD700 being comfortable YES they are even if you have glasses BUT a few things you need to look at is AD700 is a BIG BIG headphones (big that you do not want anyone to see you while you have it on LOL and also, it's fits most head due to it's wing system BUT sometimes if you move your head they could fall off. ONLY sometimes, maybe because I don't have a big mug

Reason why I don't use AD700/PC350 as a primary can is because I need a versatile can, that can do games and music. This is why HD595 is my primary cans. It's a good all rounded headphones.

As far as other headset/headphones out there for your budget I would purchase a Sennhieser HD555 and mod it. It will sound "almost" like the HD595 and it is cheaper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

HD555 is a headphone so no mic included so you can just purchase a separate mic. I recommend the Labtec LVA7330 and do the same thing I did.

http://gamebattles.com/profile/tipsyelite02/photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back