Sugestion for Sennheiser HD-650
May 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #61 of 65
I've been waiting for the right time to make my 3000th post and here it is..

To the OP - Buy the HD 650 at a good price (used if necessary) and see if you like it's character. If you do then save up a bit for a decent amp (I recommend the Project Ember Mk2 but the Schiit Lyr 2, Little Dots etc all do a fine job with the 650's). If you're still happy with the sound then invest in a decent off-board DAC.

Yes, the HD 650 is warm & dark but the detail's there in spades. They are very comfortable, scale well with DAC & amp upgrades and can be sold on relatively easily.

Are they truly reference quality? No. But they're my reference. I love them.

And yes, I've heard many headphones that are technically better.

Good luck,
Gordon.

May 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #62 of 65
  I've been waiting for the right time to make my 3000th post and here it is..

To the OP - Buy the HD 650 at a good price (used if necessary) and see if you like it's character. If you do then save up a bit for a decent amp (I recommend the Project Ember Mk2 but the Schiit Lyr 2, Little Dots etc all do a fine job with the 650's). If you're still happy with the sound then invest in a decent off-board DAC.

Yes, the HD 650 is warm & dark but the detail's there in spades. They are very comfortable, scale well with DAC & amp upgrades and can be sold on relatively easily.

Are they truly reference quality? No. But they're my reference. I love them.

And yes, I've heard many headphones that are technically better.

Good luck,
Gordon.

Nice 3000th! (and it actually answers the OP's question)

May 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #63 of 65
I've been a little busy for the past few days and I wasnt able to update this. Thank you all for your answers, they all helped me learn a little more.

I ended up getting the HD-650 I feel like they're the perfect match for me, even though I like detailed sound it can get boring sometimes, and these cans seem balanced both ways. Anyway, I'm planning on getting Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade, based on the reviews you can't go wrong with this Amp for its price. Still, I found a nice sale of Darkvoice336SE and I wonder how does it compare to the Crack with Speedball...

May 24, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #64 of 65
Hey, only had a chance to losten briefly to the crack with speedbal but I remember the occassion vividly. The crack is more neutral than the darkvoice, and is more forward sounding. As a result, it responds better to tube rolling than the 336 but lacks deep imaging/soundstage. In terms of what I would like better, the Darkvoice is the one I own, but that's because I really like a warm sound signature and not having to assemble it myself. Ultimately though, I also had to buy the amp abroad and the thought of the crack being checked in luggage is scary as hell :))

So in summary

Crack- Neutral, wider soundstage, more forward &faster
Darkvoice - Always Warm, deeper soundstage, slower but in a good and mellow way.

Whichever you get though, don't forget to get rid of the awful tubes :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back