Sugden Masterclass HA-4 Headphone Amplifier - Anyone heard it?
Apr 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at this picture, i wonder why it should cost 1400 pounds...

Spanjaard Muziekhandel

"Electronic circuitry is a variant of Sugdens ‘VCV’ Pre Amplifier, coupled to a Pure Class A, Zero Feedback, Mosfet output stage."

In other words its not a glorified opamp, this topology is very interesting. The deal killer is what is after the Mofsets? Big electrolytic caps? Or have they came up with a better way to kill DC offset.

May 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #47 of 72

I thought I’d be radical and actually answer the question: I received mine in January. I understand it was the first production model. I’d heard the prototype in about October I think. The sound has Sugden writ large across it. Hence, if the Sudgen sound appeals, so will this amp. Certainly one for the music lovers & musicians more than audiophiles I’d assume. As with Harbeth loudspeakers, if you know what a string quartet, piano, trained voice or orchestra sound like then this should appeal. Most hi-fi sounds like a poor electronic representation of the real thing to my ears. I’m very happy with the purchase.

I won’t bore with the usual explanations of the sound - you know: tone, texture, timbre &c. It has a balanced input BTW.

I’d certainly recommend an audition. Hope you enjoy whatever you do buy!

Kind Regards

May 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 72
Hi macraddy,

What headphones have you used with your HA-4? As per my earlier post, Sugden told me that they primarily used the GS1000i to voice the amp. I use the HD800 exclusively fwiw and am therefore very keen to know how they pair up. The Headmaster drives the HD800 very nicely with the exception of lower bass registers, where it has noticeably less grunt than my SPL Auditor.

Hi-Fi World magazine here in the UK are reviewing it next month so will be interested to see what they have to say. Am expecting a postivie review based on the reception of their other products such as A21a/SE and IA4 integrated amps, Masterclass series etc,

Cheers.

May 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #49 of 72

[size=x-small]Hello,[/size]

[size=x-small]I'm using AKG K701. I know Sudgen used the Grado's during development as they were approached by Grado to develop the amp for them initially. I've found Grado's a little unrefined for my tastes and I know Patrick doesn't use them now. If you like the Headmaster I can't imagine you not liking the HA4. I've always found Senns a bit too laid back so initially worried that they mightn't suit, but seeing as you have the older Sudgen you should like it very much. (I've not heard the 800s.) I'm happy with the bass, in fact am currently enjoying Bax 6 on them and it sounds splendid. Bass is very natural. And as you'd expect, midrange is liquid and neutral and top end is illuminated and grain-free. The sound is completely un-fatiguing. [/size]

[size=x-small]Hi-Fi world do seem to 'get' Sugden so it'll be interesting to see what they think of it. [/size]

[size=x-small]Incidentally, I'm using the Masterclass CD player as the source.[/size]

May 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #50 of 72
Thanks macraddy for your feedback :).

I have used the K701 previously (mainly the ALO Audio recabled version) and just recently sold mine off, along with the Lawton Audio D5000's. I've heard the GS1000i at the last UK head-fi meet and thought it was decent but nothing special for the price.

The HD800 is quite similar to the K701 in its basic sound signature, but with improvements in just about every area. Although given the price differential, the K701 is a clear winner in the vfm stakes. Like you, I found the older Senns esp. HD650's to be too laid back/veiled but the HD800 doesn't have that problem at all imo. So provided the HA-4 can drive them, it could be a very good combination.

Have you heard the Headmaster and do you feel the HA-4 is a decent advance on that amp? The Headmaster wasn't really at it's best with the K701 in my experience, mainly because it lacked bass grunt. I think it's happiest with low impedance phones such as Grado and Audio-Technica.

May 9, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #51 of 72
I've not heard the Headmaster although Patrick tells me the HA-4 is a massive improvement. (You'll know they guy's not a bullshitter.) I had a Slee Solo/PSU1 before.

The difference between the two amps I've owned are what you'd expect move to class A.

I think you're in for a treat when you audition the HA-4 - Enjoy!

May 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #52 of 72
Thanks for the info and the listening notes, Macraddy. I'm a Sugden/Harbeth user, and I'd love to hear this amp -- pity they're so hard to find in Canada. Looking forward to hearing more on this and best,

o

May 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #55 of 72
The HA-4 is reviewed in this month's "Hi-Fi World" magazine (UK) paired with............Grado SR-80's!!

What a disappointment. I would hope to have seen something a bit more in keeping with the price tag of this amp. And preferably a mixture of high and low impedance cans used (e.g. GS1000i, HD800 and Beyer T1). I can't see many users pairing a 1400 GBP amp with 100 GBP headphones. The vinyl and digital sources used were excellent btw.

The HA-4 was scored 4/5 overall due to some bass softness (in comparison to the reviewer's Naim Superline) and the high price tag.

Another disappointment of the review was the absence of measurements - these are usually provided for amplification.

HFW is a good magazine imo but they dropped the ball on this. Unfortunately, none of the magazines (UK and overseas) seem to take a rigourous approach to reviewing headphones. Better leave it to Head-Fi!

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #56 of 72
Tempting. From having owned a Headmaster for a while one of the things that Sugden do very well is perceived value. The unit feels good, looks good and sounds great, you really don't think it can be beaten. Much like my Klipsch Image x10's, but without the breaking. It's a shame the HA-4 has lost some of the features (2 RCA in and a tape out) of the Headmaster as it was a great headphone amp which also served as a fine pre-amp. Also, I loved the total lack of branding on the front of the Headmaster. It just gives a look of assuredness.

If anything happens to my Headmaster I know what I'll be auditioning. And if I see one for sale second hand at a good price...

As to the Harbeth talk: One day I'll have to replace my ageing Rogers Studio 1s with some HL5s.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #57 of 72

Quote:

The ‘VCV’ circuit consists of a high input impedance voltage to current converter, variable current source and a current to voltage conversion stage.

This looks interesting. It would be fun to compare one to a Luxman P-1u. Brand-name gear understandably commands a premium.

For regular evaluation, alongside the usual considerations, see if it throws a good, wide soundstage (with the right music) and has good bass performance with high-impedance headphones, and I reckon you'd get a fair idea of where it stands.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #58 of 72
I owned a Headmaster for a while, and it was really not all that good.  Fair, but not worth the money for sure.

But perhaps this Sugden will be a big improvement.  I'd like to hear one.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #59 of 72
I had a Sugden Masterclass HA-4 on loan for two weeks earlier this year. I paired it with a Grado GS1000i, Grado PS1000, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 and Ultrasone Edition 8 (headphones I had on loan in the same period...) Also gave it a try with my own DT990. The other amps I had in my setup during that period were the Lehmann Black Cube Linear and Yarland P100 (Edition 2009) with stock tubes. My main source was a computer rig with FLAC files, 16-bit & 24-bit (M2Tech HiFace > Foobar2000 with Kernel streaming > Meier Audio StageDAC)

The Sugden made quite an impression on me, especially with the Grado's. The build quality is second to none, it really looks and feels like a high-end product that's built to last. Compared to the Lehmann it has a warmer, richer sound, it really is a smooth sounding SS amp (Class A FTW!). Maybe that's why some reviews claim it has a certain softness to it, but I certainly didn't find it disturbing - on the contrary (maybe that's one of the reasons why it suits the Grado's?). Bass control was outstanding imho, it beats the Lehmann and Yarland hands down in that area. It also does a very good job with headphones like the HD800 & Tesla T1, but it just suits the Grado's better.

The only real criticism on my behalf is the price. In the Benelux it costs a hefty 1.500 euro's, the Lehmann Black Cube sells for 'only' 800 euro's. I think the Sugden clearly is the better amp, but I couldn't justify spending 50% more on it... so I held on to the Lehmann. If you can spend the extra money, I think you really should audition it. Only your own ears (and wallet...) can decide if it suits you.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #60 of 72

Quote:

The Sugden made quite an impression on me, especially with the Grado's. The build quality is second to none, it really looks and feels like a high-end product that's built to last. Compared to the Lehmann it has a warmer, richer sound, it really is a smooth sounding SS amp (Class A FTW!). Maybe that's why some reviews claim it has a certain softness to it, but I certainly didn't find it disturbing - on the contrary (maybe that's one of the reasons why it suits the Grado's?). Bass control was outstanding imho, it beats the Lehmann and Yarland hands down in that area. It also does a very good job with headphones like the HD800 & Tesla T1, but it just suits the Grado's better.

The only real criticism on my behalf is the price. In the Benelux it costs a hefty 1.500 euro's, the Lehmann Black Cube sells for 'only' 800 euro's. I think the Sugden clearly is the better amp, but I couldn't justify spending 50% more on it... so I held on to the Lehmann. If you can spend the extra money, I think you really should audition it. Only your own ears (and wallet...) can decide if it suits you.

The Headmaster is also one of my favorites when paired with Grados!! I haven't heard an amplifier control the Grados like the Headmaster. So I am glad to read that the new Masterclass HA-4 has inherited the same ability to master the bass to tightly as the Heasmaster does. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back