Sugden Masterclass HA-4 Headphone Amplifier - Anyone heard it?
Apr 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right procedure would be to specify wich headphone to use and then ask if this headphone amp might be right for you, since alot of headphones like the 600/650/hd800 like tube amps better!

For someone who, by their own admission, is not new here, I'm surprised you recant this generalisation about tube amps. Just because an amp uses tubes says nothing about its topology and how well it will drive any particular pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For someone who, by their own admission, is not new here, I'm surprised you recant this generalisation about tube amps. Just because an amp uses tubes says nothing about its topology and how well it will drive any particular pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Read reviews about the hd650 or the hd800 and the people that used it on meets with several different amps. The general consencus is, from people i know to trust, that these headphones sound better from good tube amps. And you can also read in threads wich amps do very well with these headphones, most of the pack are tube amps!

As i said, use the combined knowledge here...

I also happen to have used solid state amps (also quite expensive) and ended up with a tube amp, wich to my ears is leaps over any solid state amp for the hd650...especially now it's totally modded...

there is one general rule technically though, tube amps need voltage and solid state needs current... a tube is a voltage amplifier...some headphones are more sensative to voltage then others and some are more sensative to current then others...senns love voltage...as in tube amps...senns need the voltage swing for the dynamics...and alot of solid state don't deliver...some do...

So, if any, it's quite the other way around. Tube amps can be as good or better then any solid state amp!

So, be my guest, who am i to stop you from buying an amp.

All i say is read, read and listen...money can be spend mostly just once...and people tend to like to get the most out of their money, if this is the right track, who knows...

For 1600 euro's i'd be reading this forum wich amps get the best reviews for a certain type of headphone... before i even consider spending serious money...and in headphone money, 1600 is serious money...

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 72
OMG go away. I didn't expect to have to plough through all your OT posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3p0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just saw this new amp which is out (I think its new)

retails for around £1400.

Anyone had an opportunity to listen to it yet?

Well you could be the first
tongue.gif
. Go one, take one for the team! £1400 is some serious ouch though and I'd probably look towards a high end DIY amp for a similar price.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG go away. I didn't expect to have to plough through all your OT posts.

Well you could be the first
tongue.gif
. Go one, take one for the team! £1400 is some serious ouch though and I'd probably look towards a high end DIY amp for a similar price.

If you read my off topic posts i came to the same conclusion, yet you let him take the plunge so you know you don't have to spend that kind of money yourself to get something better. I don't know what's better, reading my so called off topics or advice him to go ahead and spend his money for you...

So, please go away...or take the plunge yourself...

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 72
So you are not only annoying but you have no sense of humour? The OP just bought a new amp so I was just poking fun at their already small audio fun account.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tourmaline - your posts have me very curious, what is "your amp" that you keep mentioning? Do you have a schematic/parts list? Are you commercially making these amps?

Eagerly awaiting their response
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

So you are not only annoying but you have no sense of humour? The OP just bought a new amp so I was just poking fun at their already small audio fun account.

That's what you get if you DON'T read the thread, OP didn't buy this amp yet, he's asking if this is a good sounding amp for the money and if somebody heard it allready...

So much for the fun, and beying annoying...

Most annoying is people not reading and responding ridiciously...and spending others money...

At least i am more ON TOPIC Then you...

But i am going, if you like, i am going to spend money elsewhere....

all i can do is laugh about those ignorant people that pretend to know...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

That's what you get if you DON'T read the thread, OP didn't buy this amp yet, he's asking if this is a good sounding amp for the money and if somebody heard it allready...

So much for the fun, and beying annoying...

Most annoying is people not reading and responding ridiciously...and spending others money...

At least i am more ON TOPIC Then you...

Listen, OP bought a new amp. It is not this amp. I know this because I lurk more and troll less. This is quite clear from my post. No need to point the finger at me accusing me of not reading
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

As usual you don't really know what you're talking about. So yes please go. You should spend all your time performing magic mods.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tourmaline - your posts have me very curious, what is "your amp" that you keep mentioning? Do you have a schematic/parts list? Are you commercially making these amps?

I posted a thread about the mods some time ago on dpreview and the progress and how it sounds...Also with lots of pictures! Meanwhile i have been modding again and it turned out that cheaper, newer, caps in the powersections actually sound much better then very expensive caps, Black gates...changed those for (mistery) and sounds even better...Also swapped some high end resistors for another brand and that as well made a positive change...

Sometimes people are right if they say something sounds better then another component...

So, what did we learn from this? Price doesn't say anything!

And another thing i learned from this is that black gates are not really suited for tube amps as they always take a couple of hours to sound their best where other caps always sound their best when powered on.

This means amps with black gates need to be turned on al the time if you immediatly want to hear their best sound, not ideal for tube amps since it would eat your very expensive tubes really fast!

There's only high end in there, everything has been replaced...and it's like day and night...

For senns, i'd stick with tube amps anytime...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As usual you don't really know what you're talking about. So yes please go. You should spend all your time performing magic mods.

At least i modded amps and know what changes they make and wich components are WORTH the money! Since i tried them all, cables, plugs, cores, insulation, components, high end recordings! I even tried the alps potmeter that's in this amps and changed it really fast for a high end one!

Did you ever tried any of this or are you just being the bulge of the people on head-fi and talk like you seem to know something but really don't know anything at all.

You should use all your time buying expensive amps like your chord and selling them again...because you know there's something better for less.LOL.

You wanna tell me something here?!

oh wait, you're the one telling me that cables don't matter, components don't matter, and any difference is possibly not audible, right?! Just spending big bucks does matter...and selling them again...

And no, i am NOT leaving that easy, only if you can tell me why this amp looks so special to you...and why it's worth 1600 euro's.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Listen, OP bought a new amp. It is not this amp. I know this because I lurk more and troll less. This is quite clear from my post. No need to point the finger at me accusing me of not reading
wink.gif

So? I am still right, he DIDN'T buy this amp at all, so what's with the trolling then...

Nice you read something in Another thread of the op. That doesn't help anything about this thread doesn't it.

Intresting question would be why he's looking for another amp since he just bought a new one?!
Seems to me he allready made the mistake to buy the wrong amp for his pair of headphones.

Another question, could a mod of his current amp make it his choice for a trivial amount of money or should he spend 1600 euro's for a new one...

that's what i found out, inbetween trolling...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

So? I am still right, he DIDN'T buy this amp at all, so what's with the trolling then...

Nice you read something in Another thread of the op. That doesn't help anything about this thread doesn't it.

I never said the OP bought this amp. I highly doubt anyone reading this thread thought the OP had purchased the amp. Therefore you can be right, highlighting an obvious fact that everyone in this thread already knew.

Anyway it appears I'm just going to be beating myself up responding to your posts so I'll take my leave now.

Sorry for all this OT stuff c3p0. It was not my intention to make it worse.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

I never said the OP bought this amp. I highly doubt anyone reading this thread thought the OP had purchased the amp. Therefore you can be right, highlighting an obvious fact that everyone in this thread already knew.

Anyway it appears I'm just going to be beating myself up responding to your posts so I'll take my leave now.

Sorry for all this OT stuff c3p0. It was not my intention to make it worse.

You didn't. Most is ontopic, if you read it well!
as i said before, the most intresting question would be why the op is looking into another expensive amp while he just bought a new one!

one more thing, if i would be trolling, i'd be kicked out of the thread by any moderator...

had a look at the thread about the mods or is it too complicated for you?! (this is not fun but sarcastic).

To the op, please read between the lines and good luck with your current amp and maybe a future new amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back