Sugden Masterclass HA-4 Headphone Amplifier - Anyone heard it?
Apr 6, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as i said before, the most intresting question would be why the op is looking into another expensive amp while he just bought a new one!

Curiosity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had a look at the thread about the mods or is it too complicated for you?! (this is not fun but sarcastic).

-sigh-

Yes it is too complicated for my pea sized brain.

I bow before the almighty tourmaline oh modest God of infinite wisdom.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curiosity.

Mostly killed the cat.

But meanwhile, while i am trolling, this can only come to one conclusion and that's he doesn't like his current new amp and is looking into something else!!!

Would it be wise to spend another 1600 euro's???!!!

Really from years of experience, it's not a good sign if someone is getting curious about other amps if he/she just bought a new amp...

Maybe it's just a new way to say, that he doesn't like his new amp?! If i had an amp that i really liked, like the current one i own now, i am not curious about other amps at all but be very happy with it.

So, obviously there could be more to this "inquiry"...

I leave the solution to you guys, in your "experienced" hands. Over and out.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #34 of 72
Oh, I get it, you're a tweaker that thinks throwing in some "audiophile" resistors and "MOAR BLACKGATES" is the answer to everything... OK, have fun.

How is that for trolling
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #35 of 72
The former Headmaster really had a fantastic synergy with the Grado SR325. I would love to hear if the same is the case with the new Masterclass?

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #36 of 72
WOW, that was a lot of posts on a product that was not heard.

Because my experience with the Headmaster and other Sugden products has been so good, I will try to locate, see and listen to one. Living in Alberta means that it could take a while before a dealer brings one in.

For those that were told that the Headmaster was nothing special, it is a product I had to live with. Instead of fireworks, it did grow on me. I seems to work better with some headphones than others but which amp does not. Paying attention to the source, the IC's and the power cable made it sing.

As for modifications, I went that route twice before and it was a disaster both times. My learnings are it voids the warranty and kills the resale value. Beside, replacing components with some audiophile approved ones is not necessarily the answer to better sound.

My Sugden is all original.

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #37 of 72
I've owned the Headmaster, plus the accompanying Bijou components, since 2002. IMO, it is still a competitive product, especially when you consider you get a headphone and pre-amp with remote control facility, combined with superb build quality. The build quality (casework) of the SPL Auditor is lame by comparison.

The new Sugden amp is a lot more expensive if the pricing quoted is correct and is a dedicated head-amp, so it has quite a bit to live up to. Hopefully it can a variety of loads equally well. But given my positive experience with the Headmaster, I would definitely like to hear this ASAP.

Regards the Headmaster, it seems better driving low-impedance loads but I tried my HD800 with it and I like the sound (although it seems to struggle a bit in the bass area compared to Auditor). Very nice for jazz, classical etc. There is a very nice tube-like quality to the sound which is rare in SS electronics.

Sugden are a responsive company - ask a question or call and you will generally get a response from Patrick, who is their head designer. I have just dropped him a line to ask for more info about the HA4's capabilities vs Headmaster to drive the HD800 and will post details of reply when received.

PS The fact the HA4 is not balanced output will no doubt strike horror into the hearts of most Head-Fi'ers...

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curiosity.

-sigh-

Yes it is too complicated for my pea sized brain.

I bow before the almighty tourmaline oh modest God of infinite wisdom.

LOL
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The former Headmaster really had a fantastic synergy with the Grado SR325. I would love to hear if the same is the case with the new Masterclass?

i read that somewhere. would like to hear the ha-4 with my grados..

so far what little i have read about sugden has been good.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #40 of 72
I have a Sugden A21SE driving Harbeths in my speaker rig -- it's a highly transparent and smooth-sounding amp, and beautifully built, and I absolutely love it. Never thought I'd be able to manage life after tubes, but it's as close as SS gets, IMO, along with the Pass, Accuphase and Lux Class A kit. I ran the headmaster for a few years and very much enjoyed it.

o

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #41 of 72
Wouldn't it be something if accuphase poured all of their audiophile might into creating a dedicated headphone amp!
I used to own their E530 integrated and it opened my ears to how class A amplification can sound so alive and realistic.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 72
Exchanged some emails with Patrick Miller from Sugden.

According to him, the circuit design of the HA4 is totally different to the Headmaster with better current and power delivery. He tested it with 300 and 600 ohm loads and power output increased into each one, which suggests it should be able to drive HD800 or T1 adequately.

Apparently they use the GS1000i as their main reference can in the lab.

Am looking forward to hearing the HA4. I've been listening to the Headmaster and HD800 over the last few days and have realised what a nice amp it still is. Very clear and detailed, with lots of PRAT. Also, good tonal colour, probably a consequence of the class A circuit. Bass is one area where improvements can be made - hopefully the HA4 addressess this.

I do wonder at the cost of the HA4 - £1395 is a serious price tag so it needs to be very good indeed if it is to be competitive.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exchanged some emails with Patrick Miller from Sugden.

According to him, the circuit design of the HA4 is totally different to the Headmaster with better current and power delivery. He tested it with 300 and 600 ohm loads and power output increased into each one, which suggests it should be able to drive HD800 or T1 adequately.

Apparently they use the GS1000i as their main reference can in the lab.

Am looking forward to hearing the HA4. I've been listening to the Headmaster and HD800 over the last few days and have realised what a nice amp it still is. Very clear and detailed, with lots of PRAT. Also, good tonal colour, probably a consequence of the class A circuit. Bass is one area where improvements can be made - hopefully the HA4 addressess this.

I do wonder at the cost of the HA4 - £1395 is a serious price tag so it needs to be very good indeed if it is to be competitive.

Are you looking to audition one Mark?

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #44 of 72
Hi John,

I will try and arrange an audition at some point. If the SQ of HA-4 is akin to a supercharged Headmaster then I think I'd like it a lot.

It would be interesting to see how the HA-4 stacks up against the Auditor with the HD800 - it would have to be more than a bit special to make me consider dropping £1400 on it!

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back