Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #46 of 59
I must admit that was my reaction as well - whats the similarity between Neutral Milk Hotel and Sufjan Stevens that would cause you to compare them in the first place? And my second reaction was also the same - I think Neutral Milk Hotel is a bad loser in that comparison. Stevens work not only goes deeper, but is musically more varied and complex. Not too many others working in rock who think nothing of using densely orchestrated syncopated Steve Reich style 5/4 loops in one song, and then following it up with a devastatingly simple folk song about a serial killer. Sorry, but Illinoise has the goods musically, emotionally and lyrically that mark it out to be a classic.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
yeah, hopefully he'll get those other 48 states done this life time...

At his current rate of one every other year he'd better live to be 128.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 59
What are the chances he does Hawaii next?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #50 of 59
I actually just got Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane, and this CD must surely hold the record for most compressed and distorted piece of crap ever released. Absolutely unlistenable.
mad.gif
What a total waste.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I actually just got Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane, and this CD must surely hold the record for most compressed and distorted piece of crap ever released. Absolutely unlistenable.
mad.gif
What a total waste.

Well, you know what to do
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 59
Wow , what a great album ,
i started listening to him yesterday and i just keep repeating it .

The Song Casimir Pulaski Day is so Sad , beautifull and touching - it's amazing .

there are several more songs that i really love ( the zombies and wayne are good examples ) .

the entire album is Great and i certainly lookforward to further albums from him.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #54 of 59
This thread won't die, did I chime in yet?
biggrin.gif
I like Illinoise, it is truly outstanding. The only gripe I have with it is that the album is too long to listen to in one go, as it is not only almost 74 minutes long, but also a lot to listen to and for in those 74 minutes. I have Michigan & A Sun Came on order.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
This thread won't die, did I chime in yet?
biggrin.gif
I like Illinoise, it is truly outstanding. The only gripe I have with it is that the album is too long to listen to in one go, as it is not only almost 74 minutes long, but also a lot to listen to and for in those 74 minutes. I have Michigan & A Sun Came on order.

I will have to disagree about the length. i personally couldnt get enough of that music. But I have felt that near the end, he has trouble winding the album down, on both michigan and illinoise. the second to last song on illinoise would be a great ending song, every time i listen to it i want it to end as it fades out with "riffs and variations".

a sun came has some great songs on it, incredible songs, but i have to "uncheck" some of them in itunes if i want to make it through the album, the jokes and talking trackks get annoying real fast.

michigan is great though. really somber and wonderful for the winter.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #56 of 59
As I left my house today in my Come on Feel the Illinoise t-shirt, I thought to myself...."i haven't listened to Illinois in a bit"

Every listen always seems to capture the joy I felt the first time I heard it. Truly one of my favorite albums ever, and definitely a beautiful headphone album. There is so much going on in each one of these songs, that headphones are truly, in my opinion, the only way to really appreciate it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #57 of 59
As I left my house today in my Come on Feel the Illinoise t-shirt, I thought to myself...."i haven't listened to Illinois in a bit"

Every listen always seems to capture the joy I felt the first time I heard it. Truly one of my favorite albums ever, and definitely a beautiful headphone album. There is so much going on in each one of these songs, that headphones are truly, in my opinion, the only way to really appreciate it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #58 of 59

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
i read so many positive reviews of this album, i purchased it thinking it would be a sort of in the aeroplane over the sea, neutral milk hotel, kind of experience. but i must say, i really don't like the album very much. not at all as engaging as neutral milk hotel, which feels quite raw, while this feels laboriously delicate. in general, it just feels very tepid to me and not impressive melodically or lyrically. oh well.

Not very many albums can be as good as Aeroplane. I will go so far as to say that it's either the best album of the 90's or the 2nd best, depending on my mood, time of day, season of the year, etc. (Guess what the other "best" cd is, I bet you get it right
icon10.gif
) If you don't "understand" Aeroplane/like his voice/the sq sucks/whatever.... I am not going to try to persuade you. It may take about 50+ listens, but yes, it IS that good.

BTW, Illinoise is prob. my favorite album of 2005. I can't think of much else with so much ambition yet nails it completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back