Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise
Jul 19, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 59
I like it. I like it alot. I almost like it too much. It makes me wonder why somebody is able to make music that everybody likes, even people who dislike music that everybody likes.

Am I the only one getting a bit of a homosexual vibe from some of the tracks, like "The Giant Wasp of the Palisades is Out to get Us!"? Example:

there on my shoulder my best friend is bit seven times
he runs washing his face in his hands
oh, how i meant to tease him. oh, how i meant no harm
touching his back with my hand, i kiss him
i see the wasp on the length of my arm

And then the next lyrical bit pertaining to the same subject is...

we were in love. we were in love. palisades, palisades, i can wait, i can wait

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 59
Wow, what an album!
eek.gif
Ambitious as could be, lots of great instrumentation, he's a gifted composer. Very uplifting, he seems to be enjoying himself even in some of the more somber songs. I'd heard of him before, but never listened to any of his music, what a surprise. This is an extremely impressive record, the whole thing is like this giant Technicolor widescreen epic. OK, some of the lyrics are a little trite in places, and he's no great singer (he does that whisper-singing thing), but those are quibbles, really. You would have to have a pretty darn hard heart to deny this one!

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 59
As I was checking back into this thread, a friend just IMed me the following. If you want to celebrate Christmas in July click here [I don't see this sold anywhere, news of its release, etc. only many websites distributing it so I hope it's okay to post.]

Also NPR has for download Sufjans tribute to the recently discovered "extinct" ivory-billed woodpecker.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I ordered through ebay - apparently, stores couldnt sell them and tehy were quickly retracted from the shelves, there is a picture of superman on the cover and a song about metropolis as well, and DC got pissed, so they need to re-edit them.

Interesting. I just picked this album up a couple of minutes ago from my local record store and clicked on this thread right after I started listening to it. I was quite surprised -- and happy -- to find Superman flying across the cover. I also have the song about Metropolis, so I think I'm good to go.

FYI for other Seattlites -- I picked it up at Easy Street Records on lower Queen Anne.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #21 of 59
I have been listening to this album quite a lot recently, every time it finishes I just keep hitting play and starting it over again
smily_headphones1.gif
. This is my #1 album of the year so far and I can't see it falling very far if it at all.

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #22 of 59
Can anyone point me to an online vendor that is selling the CD with the original artwork (Superman picture)?

Can't find any Sufjan Stevens CDs in my area....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145
Can anyone point me to an online vendor that is selling the CD with the original artwork (Superman picture)?

rolleyes.gif

All of the original-cover ones have been recalled. Best bet is eBay, probably.

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

I just did a quick search on ebay, and it definitely looks like you will be able to get a copy, but it will probably be around twenty dollars... I don't know how much you are looking to pay, but good luck.

I really wish that I had picked up some extra copies at the concert I went to.

http://attr-search.ebay.com/sufjan-s...csZ2QQsbrbinZt

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 59
This guys is mad talented - i am listening to the night zombies song, it totally rocks, he seems to convey a wide palette of various influences. I hear the folk obviously, but i hear the rock, the blues, classical, i hear the christian references, I also dig his use of poly and asymetric rhythms on two of the tracks

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Try here

I got one with the original Superman cover at their brick & mortar recently, so it might be worth a shot. I'd probably drop them an email first, though, to ensure that you're getting the original art.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
This guys is mad talented -

I totally agree. How popular do you guys think he will get?

Last year Funeral by The Arcade Fire obtained quite a bit of critical acclaim but now they are still a fairly obscure band. I definitely think Sufjan will become better known than The Arcade Fire is now, but I am not sure how much farther than that he will go...

Regardless, the success he has achieved so far practically guarantees another album-and hopefully another forty eight (or forty nine with Puerto Rico?)- so I'm happy.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Amazon.de

This CD is really nice. Too long though, and a bit repetitive here and there, but nevertheless an excellent album.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 59
Hmmmm, what a great album...I ordered it direct from Asthmatic Kitty and got a copy with the Superman cover. I've grown up in Illinois all my life so it almost feels like this album's made for me. Plus he's playing here in Chicago Sept. 16th, got my ticket already
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back