Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise
Jul 17, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Agreed it's a fantastic album.

Man, Im fascinated with it - he is truly such an amazing talent. He composed all the tunes, recorded, engineered, produced, played how many instruments. Its layering and composition is almost orchestral, and his use of tone color to convey the mood and attitude of each of the tracks is amazing. I am an Illinoisan as well, and when he talks about Chicago and John wayne gacy, I can just totally feel it and get it, remarkable.

And that track come on and feel the illinoise part I - dude, the thing is in 5, that's wild, i know that unsymmetrical rhythms have been done before but it sounds so good and is executed incredibly well and the only thing i can think of that sounds as good is Pink Floyd's Money in 7 as well as Brubeck's time out in 5.

And the Carl Sandburg piece - wow, that's such a chilling number, as well as the john wayne gacy one.

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 59
a very strong effort, but imo not up to michigan.

fwiw, i also prefer michigan to seven swans. i seem to be part of the distinct minority with this opinion.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 59
Whee, nice! Seemingly there are different versions of this album... iTMS lists 24 Tacks on the Asthmatic Kitty, Amazon 22 on the Rough Trade one (also has an altered cover). Had a look at the other albums and it's all the same, track-count varies. Argh!

Thank you anyway for keeping me from not buying CDs again
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 59
I got Illinoise, Michigan and Swans at the same time. Michigan hit first, but I've been giving Illinoise the most listens lately. Especially like the little Casimir Pulaski Day. Seeing him tomorrow night at the Great American Music Hall with his fellow Asmatic Kitty Liz Janes.

What can anyone tell me about Enjoy Your Rabbit?

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 59
I had wanted to buy Illinoise to bring with me to the Bloomington meet, but none of the stores around here have it yet. Certainly on my "to buy" list.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
I had wanted to buy Illinoise to bring with me to the Bloomington meet, but none of the stores around here have it yet. Certainly on my "to buy" list.
biggrin.gif

I ordered through ebay - apparently, stores couldnt sell them and tehy were quickly retracted from the shelves, there is a picture of superman on the cover and a song about metropolis as well, and DC got pissed, so they need to re-edit them. However, when i came home i saw that it was delivered, the original version, which IM happy about.

I definitely need to pick up some of his earlier efforts as well

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 59
brilliant album! as far as the recall i havent heard of any tracklisting changes i only know about the artwork changes. i made sure i ordered an extra to keep sealed, i know im a nutjob when it comes to that kind of stuff but you never know how many slipped through the cracks and how valuable they will be in the future.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 59
This guy is insanely ambitious to claim that he will make an album per every state in the union. I hope he makes good on his promise.

Some people I know who are big music fans are turned off by him simply because of the Christianity elements in his music. IMO they are missing out.

I think this record and Michigan are neck and neck. It's hard to pick a winner since they are both so accomplished. I was let down a little by Seven Swans (though it is good), but this one came out and totally restored my faith (hehe) in Stevens. He's really talented.

I previously thought Devendra Banhart was the most talented of the current singer-songwriters since he is only like 23-24, but Stevens is right there if not better, and he is probably around the same age.

And not trying to slight Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) or anything, he is good, but I think he is a little overrated right now when there are guys around like Stevens, Banhart, and M. Ward who IMO are head and shoulders above him.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Ha! I'm seeing him tonight!
It should be dope.

Let us know.
wink.gif

There's an interview over at The Onion this week.

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 59
About the Christianity part. True he's a Christian but he has a very questioning disollusioned tone when enters that territory. Without discussing religion I really see it as a guy more searching than preaching. Connects with me in a big way since I go through the same things.

I saw this album was getting pulled so I drove right down to Borders and grabbed one. Certainly a great album, not sure about comparisons to Michigan yet. I hope as he goes on with his States series he can evolve a bit, this sound will get old even by the next record. I have A Sun Came and it's much different but in a more ethnic way that won't work for the American series. I actually wish he'd explore a bit more of the musical history of the states. For example I saw the "variations on a single note for Jelly Roll, etc". I flipped to it hoping he'd take a nice shot at the Big Band that exists in Chicago's history, but instead it didn't have much of a jazz feel. The thematic elements of dropping a few historical figures and locations within the context of his same emotional folk doesn't quite bring the concept home. You could certainly hear the love on Michigan for his home state. I think as he gets further from home he'll have a harder time making an album that connects.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Let us know.
wink.gif

There's an interview over at The Onion this week.

I just got home, and the concert was pretty good.

When I say "pretty good" however, I really just mean that they are talented musicians that play good music. It was less than eighty minutes long, and I believe that they only played stuff from the new album.

Kind of disappointing, but certainly better than some concerts I have been to.

Also: At the merchandise table they were selling Illinois, so I was able to pick a copy up.

Have a good time tonight. I hope the opener is good. I arrived just as Sufjan was starting so did not get to see her.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 59
The concert was only 80 minutes and you're just now getting home. Man, you must live far away.
wink.gif

Well taking off in a second myself. Thanks for setting expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back