Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise
Jul 27, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I totally agree. How popular do you guys think he will get?

Last year Funeral by The Arcade Fire obtained quite a bit of critical acclaim but now they are still a fairly obscure band. I definitely think Sufjan will become better known than The Arcade Fire is now, but I am not sure how much farther than that he will go...

Regardless, the success he has achieved so far practically guarantees another album-and hopefully another forty eight (or forty nine with Puerto Rico?)- so I'm happy.

I hope not. I don't care how elitist it sounds, I just don't like hearing about my favorite bands everywhere I go...Arcade Fire got so popular because suddenly it was something everybody could like together and have something in common about. For instance, Sufjan apparently got to a much bigger audience with Illinois than he did with Michigan...at least partly because Pitchfork gave him a better score. That's always the beginning of the end of an artist's relevance for me, I don't really know how to get around it.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kampfy
I hope not. I don't care how elitist it sounds, I just don't like hearing about my favorite bands everywhere I go...Arcade Fire got so popular because suddenly it was something everybody could like together and have something in common about. For instance, Sufjan apparently got to a much bigger audience with Illinois than he did with Michigan...at least partly because Pitchfork gave him a better score. That's always the beginning of the end of an artist's relevance for me, I don't really know how to get around it.

Sufjan is becoming more popular because he made a superb record that is getting much deserved critical acclaim and buzz on the internet. Why should this make you uncomfortable? How does this affect your enjoyment of the record? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Congratulations, you knew about Sufjan Stevens before everyone else. I didn't know there was a contest. Now you can move on to someone else while I continue to enjoy this fine record.

My opinion is it's okay to like him still even if Illinois was the Number 1 record on the Billboard charts. Wouldn't this be a good thing?

Imagine a world where you saw "The Power Out" video on MTV twelve times a day like it was by Green Day. Or you turn on the radio and hear "Casimir Pulaski Day" on the modern rock station. Awesome right?

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #33 of 59
Well, no, not exactly. I didn't say I don't like the album because it's popular; it's my second favorite of the year behind The Books. I also didn't say that I was the first person to "like" Sufjan Stevens, or the first to "discover" him, etc...hell, I'm pretty sure I found out about him via a Pitchfork review. All I'm saying is that once a band or artist gets absurdly popular, it's very hard for me to differentiate between people who seriously love the music and people who are going with the crowd, which is an issue for me because I suffer from the delusion that I will, one day, have a group of friends that I can talk about music with, being that my current friends all like "punk" and "emo." That's all.

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
And not trying to slight Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) or anything, he is good, but I think he is a little overrated right now when there are guys around like Stevens, Banhart, and M. Ward who IMO are head and shoulders above him.

I can't agree with you here. Head and shoulders above?

If you like Sufjan, you might try out (if you haven't already):

Smog's new album, Sun Kil Moon, Okkervil River, Songs Ohia, Akron/Family, The Hotel Alexis and Hayden...

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kampfy
Well, no, not exactly. I didn't say I don't like the album because it's popular; it's my second favorite of the year behind The Books. I also didn't say that I was the first person to "like" Sufjan Stevens, or the first to "discover" him, etc...hell, I'm pretty sure I found out about him via a Pitchfork review. All I'm saying is that once a band or artist gets absurdly popular, it's very hard for me to differentiate between people who seriously love the music and people who are going with the crowd, which is an issue for me because I suffer from the delusion that I will, one day, have a group of friends that I can talk about music with, being that my current friends all like "punk" and "emo." That's all.

But that's what you were getting at. You said that you hope Stevens doesn't become popular because you will hear about him everywhere you go and "that's always the end of an artist's relevance" to you.

You are letting others determine how you feel about music in general. The tendency to gravitate towards artists that are obscure for that simple fact is the same as liking something just because it is popular. Don't you see that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I can't agree with you here. Head and shoulders above?

IMO, yes. I don't think Beam is quite as versatile as the other three mentioned. Don't get me wrong, he can craft a good song. But I think Stevens, Banhart, and Ward have an edge on him in creativity. Of course this is subjective.

And thanks for the suggestions. I have heard them and enjoy them, mostly thanks to #it. My wallet cannot keep up with all of this good music.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #38 of 59
A STATEMENT FROM ASTHMATIC KITTY AND DC COMICS
It has been reported that DC Comics sent a cease and desist letter to Asthmatic Kitty regarding Sufjan Steven's album "Illinois." Not so. Asthmatic Kitty was alerted by their own lawyers of the potential copyright infringment. Therefore, Asthmatic Kitty asked retailers not to sell Sufjan Stevens' record until the situation could be resolved. DC Comics and Asthmatic Kitty have since reached an agreement that allows Asthmatic Kitty to sell the already manufactured records with cover artwork featuring Superman. The Superman image will be removed from future pressings of the album.

ILLINOIS TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK
We're very sorry, but the new pressing of "Illinois" will not arrive until July 26th-28th, and we've sold out of the first pressing. You may be able to find it at a local or online store, but if not, please check back. Thanks for visiting our website!

If you can find it right now you're probably safe.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #39 of 59
i read so many positive reviews of this album, i purchased it thinking it would be a sort of in the aeroplane over the sea, neutral milk hotel, kind of experience. but i must say, i really don't like the album very much. not at all as engaging as neutral milk hotel, which feels quite raw, while this feels laboriously delicate. in general, it just feels very tepid to me and not impressive melodically or lyrically. oh well.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 59
I no longer can listen to John Wayne Gacy. It's pervaded my delicate sensitivities via a lilting haunting melody that sinks into your poor tender heart. "Oh my Gooooooooooooooodddddd........."
eek.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I no longer can listen to John Wayne Gacy. It's pervaded my delicate sensitivities via a lilting haunting melody that sinks into your poor tender heart. "Oh my Gooooooooooooooodddddd........."
eek.gif

You have to say it with an illinoise accent "Oh my Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhddddd"

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
i read so many positive reviews of this album, i purchased it thinking it would be a sort of in the aeroplane over the sea, neutral milk hotel, kind of experience. but i must say, i really don't like the album very much. not at all as engaging as neutral milk hotel, which feels quite raw, while this feels laboriously delicate. in general, it just feels very tepid to me and not impressive melodically or lyrically. oh well.

well whoever compared him to neutral milk hotel was on crack. i can see them both floating around the same crowds. other than that, they both use guitars...and drums....
rolleyes.gif

but, at the end of the day, i do believe illinoise kicks the heck out of aeroplane
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #44 of 59
i really dig him. think he's doing some really great things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back