Subwoofer-fi - who uses really world-class ($1K+) subs?
Apr 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #121 of 132
I have had my sub for going on 8-9 years, it is a Klipsch LF10. The specs are:

LF-10 Specifications
frequency response 19Hz-100Hz±3dB
max acoustic output 120dB SPL @ 1/8 space, 1 meter
maximum acoustic output 120dB SPL @ 1/8 space, 1 meter
low pass crossover Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 36dB/octave slope above 120Hz
subwoofer K-1073-K 10" (25.4cm) Kevlar / Fiber-composite cone / cast aluminum frame active / Two KD-104-K 10" (25.4cm) Kevlar / Fiber-composite cone passive radiators
amplifier BASH® digital hybrid
phase Switchable 0 or 180 degrees
enclosure material Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
enclosure type Bass reflex via dual passive radiators
inputs 2) Line level RCA phono jacks, 1) Line level dedicated LFE (unfiltered) RCA phono jack and 2) High level speaker terminals
outputs 2) Line level RCA phono jacks and 2) High level speaker terminals
auto power on 2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay
dimensions 14.2" (36cm) x 13.6" (34.5cm) x 15.4" (39.1cm)
weight 49 lbs. (22.3kg)
finishes Matte-finish Black vinyl

And the following is a picture from the Klipsch archives.

400x400.aspx

May 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #122 of 132
You can count me as part of sub-woofer-fi. I have a JL Audio Fathom f112, and it is incredible. I do not want to be a heretic, after all this is a headphone site, but a proper speaker system and subwoofer set-up can really expose the limitation of headphones sometimes imo. It just is not the same experience. I love my headphone rig (fairly modest one), and I listen to it late at night in order not to disturb others, but I often can't wait until day time to crank up the B&Ws and fathom. Takes me to another level of enjoyment. Again, my experiences, don't crucify me.

DSC_0004-10.jpg

May 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #123 of 132
I lust after a Fathom
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #125 of 132
Over at AVS forum there is test after test with almost all the subs mentioned here and
some that were not and a long going argument on sealed vs ported but the contenders
for which many are measured against would be the SVS Ultra PB13. Velodyne HGS 18,
and the JL Fathom 13 these have both been tested in HT and music with scoring by different posters at a meet and there are some notable brands that sub engineers have
split off of known companies to form their own its interesting reading.

May 27, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #127 of 132
I have two Paradigm 12" passive subs, each powered by one channel of a 250 watt per channel Bryston 4B amp and blended into my system with a Bryston electronic crossover. They not only provide a more realistic, full frequency sound, but by taking the responsibility for the lowest frequencies away from my main, full range speakers, allows for more clarity and less main speaker distortion at higher volume levels.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #129 of 132
That sounds interesting as an idea, but doesn't work for me, in that the times when I use headphones I can't be using a sub. When a sub is an option for me, I'm listening to speakers
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #130 of 132
My habits are in line with you Skylab. If I can crank up the main sub, I will have the speakers running too. I do use a desktop sub sometimes with the hps but seldom. My hps are for environmental control.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #131 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My hps are for environmental control.

Well put. I love headphone listening, and I listen to headphones a lot, but when I do it, it is almost always because I am somewhere where I do not/cannot have a sub, or where I couldn't use one even if I did
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #132 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphones+sub topic is one that needs more discussion.

I've tried 2x identical subs out of dual-headphone outs
I liked it a lot but space limitations made me abandon that project

So it looked like this:
Stereo -> Headphones
Stereo -> Splitter + Adapter -> 2 Subs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back