Subwoofer-fi - who uses really world-class ($1K+) subs?
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #91 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or perhaps you've measured yours wrong.

Possible, but mine's extremely close to what my loudspeaker software expected. However you choose to interpret that is up to you.

I'm done with this now as it's boring me.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #92 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're hearing "effects" from your subwoofer or even notice it in your system, you don't have it proper set up and integrated into your system. VERY few speakers can play flat and linear all the way down to 20 Hz. The speakers that can typically cost an arm and a leg. You can get a competent speaker which doesn't go as deep and couple it with a good subwoofer for much less money than a speaker that can go deep.

Also, setting up a speaker for proper imaging and soundstage is not goign to be the best spot for optimal bass. As I mentioned earlier, the other benefit of using a sub is less strain on your amp which yields benefits in overall system sound quality. Another way of looking at adding a powered sub is that this is another form of true bi-amping.

Well,

I now my share of how to set up a proper Hifi system, so that was no problem. And if I'm lost, there are plenty of colleagues and friends who can help. SO the subs where perfectly set to fit in with the rest. I used different speakers and amps along the way and have set them up in many ways.

I've really tried everything. And I didn't hear the subs in the mix as in ''hearing that there's a sub'' but I could notice a certain shift in the sound my system produced which I didn't like. I can perfectly imagine a sub in a stereo system, but not in mine.

Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, I really care about neutrality.

Now my speakers shure as hell don't go down to 20Hz, but I'm in my younger years and enjoying one of my first proper set-ups. So I hear the flaws clearly, and better speakers will certainly follow. But a subwoofer will never make it to my system. I'm happy with what my system does at the moment and a sub only decreased that happyness.

Now one day I imagine myself in my private listening room, curved maybe rounded shaped, carpeted walls ceilling and floor for better isolation of sound, two nice speakers (B&W Nautilus, Canton Reference, Martin Logan's or perhaps Kef Muon's) and a perfect system (Pre-amp, 2 mono-blocks, CDP with CD pro mechanism, Michell turntable, Nordost cables) and just a relaxing chair. But that's just a dream that I hope will be reality once...

...Oh well...
biggrin.gif

Rgds

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #93 of 132
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #96 of 132
Got my second SPL1000R and SMS-1 and waiting for the second SMS-1 for a true stereo sub. Both subs will do duty to extend bass refq response with my Sonus Faber Concerto speakers.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #97 of 132
SVS EQ1 looks better than SMS-1 but I'd need two of them, or if I buy one, the second sub would require long RCA cables to the pre-amp and back to the sub.

basman I thought SMS1 can EQ more then 1 sub? So why buy another unless in different homes? nm SMS-1 only does 1 room

"This is correct. Even though the SMS-1 has 3 ouputs, they are all summed together. It does one eq for the room.

The SVS can take into account 2 subs in 2 different locations and send each one an optimized curve."

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #98 of 132
I just bought a Vandersteen 2Wq sub to run with my Vandersteen 2ce Sigs. I'm really surprised at the difference it makes. Even though you can't pick out the sub and where it's coming from, if I turn it off the music seems much less "full".

I know Richard Vandersteen recommends two subs or none, but I like what one adds to my system. Maybe I'll try a second one out at some point, but for now, I'm happy.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #100 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's just all get this, and be done with the bass cravings.
biggrin.gif
But it requires a closet to be built to house it.....

http://www.eminent-tech.com/RWbrochure.htm

Cool Idea, Saw the rotary woofers a while ago but still something that hasn't really take off. Similar in a way to infinite baffle subs but without all the big drivers.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #102 of 132
Ha ha, a 'mid-sub'. Nice.....

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #103 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, although I am not a bass head, I have to admit that proper deep bass is one of the greatest things in sound! I would love to own a high end sub woofer one of these days. But I am lost. How can a sub wolfer be incorporated with a stereo amp? Also if one is using a tube stereo speaker amp, can a sub wolfer be used without interfering with the tube sound?

My apologies for the newbie like questions.

You can use a sub with any amp and don't need a dedicated sub output. You just connect the sub to the L/R speaker outputs on the amp and then you connect the speakers to the sub itself instead of the amp.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #104 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use a sub with any amp and don't need a dedicated sub output. You just connect the sub to the L/R speaker outputs on the amp and then you connect the speakers to the sub itself instead of the amp.

Or buy one of the REL subwoofers. They connect directly to the amplifier along with the speakers. They pickup a small signal and get the same sonic character that your speakers get off the amp. They integrated better than any of the others I auditioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back