Subwoofer-fi - who uses really world-class ($1K+) subs?
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #107 of 132
I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer.

This is the original model which I bought for $2500 within 2 months after it came on market (2000?).

My speakers are Dali Ikon 6 which go down to 37Hz. My preamp is a Parasound 2100 which has a cross control for the sub output. I have the cross on the Sunfire set wide open at 120Hz and the cross on the preamp set at about 42Hz. It took my 3 hours to get the optimum cross settings.

It took another 2 hours, 2 days later, to get the best location for the Sunfire.

The flooring is carpet. Between the Sunfire and the floor I have BDR Cones on 1/2" MDF shelf that I borrowed from my equipment rack.

Now all I need is a second Sunfire.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #108 of 132
Sunfire subs are great. I use a True Sub Jr. in my office. The amount of DEEP bass that little cube produces is amazing.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #111 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such statements are more useful when accompanied by actual examples.

I agree, also when the statements are followed with side by side comparisons of the products, and systems used.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #112 of 132
due favouritsm and snobbery I won't mention brands. Sunfire True EQ is £2000 (and generally tiny sealed box with massive amps are expensive) and there are alternatives.

And the arguements about SB & PB become boring.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #113 of 132
I'm still in the researching mode for subs. I want something that reaches very low, but does so while being very quick and true to music reproduction. Not interested in just the biggest boom possible, at the expense of music.

The short list is (I'm watching for any of these to pop up second hand):

1) REL Strata III
2) ACI Titan LE
3) Martin Logan Depth i
4) Von Schweikert VRS1
5) Vandersteen 2WQ

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #114 of 132
The ACI Titan is a TERRIFIC sub - my Dad uses these - very tuneful and punchy. They don't reach much below 30 Hz though.

I like the M-L Depth a lot.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #115 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...' Also, setting up a speaker for proper imaging and soundstage is not goign to be the best spot for optimal bass.'...

Yes. One most easy starting point is to put subwoofer exactly into same place, where are you typically listening your music, then put on some constant lowest bass audio signal through this subwoofer, then walk arond listening room (sometimes also neighboring rooms!) and make marks on floor at these places were heared bass is deepest/strongest!
Next step: put now your subwoofer exactly into one previously marked places and go back to your typical listening place and do your listening test with music. Now put subwoofer to another previously selected places and do your listening test again... go on with all marked places.
And only now, hopefully your find just one or two perfect places, go with your setup to finish (cuting-freq, EQ, phase, ...).

Hope that helps to start... .

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #116 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ACI Titan is a TERRIFIC sub - my Dad uses these - very tuneful and punchy. They don't reach much below 30 Hz though.

I like the M-L Depth a lot.

Thanks for the info. That helps my choice situation. I think my top two then are the Strata III, and the ML Depth. Would you say that the Depth handles music reproduction with accuracy and finesse?

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #117 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the Depth handles music reproduction with accuracy and finesse?

Unquestionably. It's not a rafter-shaker - it's all about finesse and musicality.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #118 of 132
Awesome, thanks. I did hear it demo'd at my favorite hi-fi shop, albeit only on an explosive scene in one of the Batman movies... but in that role it did totally awe me in its sheer slam and output. So I at least know it'll be fun for the occasional movie too.
biggrin.gif
The guys at the shop keep trying to sway me to REL though, because of its capability to run two profiles (one for movie surround, and one for 2-channel music). I don't totally understand what that option entails, but they seem to think that the REL sealed subs are even better than the Depth for music. Personally I really like the look of the Depth, with its 3 driver array and all.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #119 of 132
Well, I don't know how my sub compares to "world class" subwoofers, but it does fit the bill as far as cost in the thread's title, and it certainly pleases me immensely. I have a Cain & Cain Bailey, which was made to match my Cain & Cain Abbys. It's not a sub that throws bass at you, but it fills out the bottom end of these single-driver speakers perfectly.

hero.jpg

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #120 of 132
Looks VERY cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back