Substantial improvement from Klipsch S4's sought...Monster copper did not work...please help
Jun 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matt B

Head-Fier
Hey All,

For a long while I owned a set of Shure E4c's which I used for years and really loved. Unfortunately one of the wires developed a short and I had to replace them. I had been reading very good things about the Klipsch S4 and picked those up. While I was quite impressed with them, I did not have the same affection for their sound that I did for the Shures. Recently I decided to "upgrade"....I had read consistently good things about the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers and even though I wanted to try a multi-armature design, went ahead and bought them. What followed was one of the most disappointing experiences I have ever had with a piece of audio gear. The monster is over 4 times the msrp of klipsch. I do understand that price does not equal sound, but that's a large discrepancy. I was expecting fireworks with the Monsters...I got almost nothing. To me, the S4 sounded about 90% of the Monsters and though they had less detail were quite a bit more sensitive...a valuable commodity to a mp3 player user. The scary thing is that the MTPC are supposed to be top notch....have they reached the point of diminishing returns?

I am looking for a headphone, iem or otherwise, that will be a major, noticeable improvement from the S4. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 14
Can you be a bit more specific about what you want in an IEM?  What are you looking to improve in the sound of the S4?  Outside of cost, what was most objectionable in the MTPC?  Are you looking for a bit more treble?  More mid range?  Fewer microphonics?  What source material do you listen to and at what bit rate?

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Did you burn in the Coppers for 50-75 hours?  Did you get a proper fit and seal?  Did you insert the tips to deep?  Are you giving the phones enough power, is the source output turned up enough to drive the driver so it can be heard?  Can you be more specific about what you want to hear and aren't hearing rather saying 'I got nothing'?  Whats your source material and or genre?

Sometimes a good phone is like a good woman, it needs a little foreplay...

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Sometimes a good phone is like a good woman, it needs a little foreplay...

bigsmile_face.gif

I would bet on a bad seal and source output.

It's crucial with the MTPC to get a good seal (obviously). Which tips were you using? 

As well as giving it enough juice to give you the proper dynamics. I've noticed, as well as a few other members, that the MTPCs really shine with a higher volume. They aren't hard to drive but it could be a factor.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Sorry I should have been more specific. I typically listen to high bitrate mp3's off of an older Iriver Clix, while sometimes listening to CD quality files or actual CDs through my laptop. So yes, I do not listen off particularly high quality sources.

I guess what I was looking for is a little unrealistic...it just wanted it to sound better, I know that isn't specific enough. I guess I am looking for cleaner bass, and more sparkle in the treble. I want a phone that is exciting to listen to. Perhaps once you get to a certain quality level you need to upgrade your source to get improvement?

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Klipsch has a V shape frequency curve, with a harsh treble. The copper is flatter and neutral sounding. You are used to the Klispch sound already, so give yourself some time to get used to the new signature. I have not heard Copper myself, but I have heard Klipsch S4, Monster MD, IE8, FX-700. And how long you have been listening to the Copper? Did you get it brand new? If so, give it some time to burn in.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
If you want clean and (maybe) sparkle get the e-q7. It's really source dependent, though.

Also, seconding the burn in comment. My coppers bass was really boomy and muddy until about 100 hours. If you haven't put in that many hours yet, you should look for the thread where some one compares 2 different coppers with two different burn in methods. Seems to be a +/- 5 dB swing depending on what kind of noise you use to burn in.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 14
Goes to show you, everyone's ears are different.  I went from the Klipsch S4's to the MTPC's, and IME, the S4's sure as hell are NOT even close to 90% of the MTPC.  For me, there's no comparison.  My S4's sit in their cool aluminum case, unused.  They're almost unlistenable for me now.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Goes to show you, everyone's ears are different.  I went from the Klipsch S4's to the MTPC's, and IME, the S4's sure as hell are NOT even close to 90% of the MTPC.  For me, there's no comparison.  My S4's sit in their cool aluminum case, unused.  They're almost unlistenable for me now.

Seconding this. I, too, went from the S4s to the mtpcs.

I let my mtpc's burn in, I took the time to get the right eartips and the time to fit (not too deep and not "plugged" sounding with pressure in the ears) them right, every time (this makes a huge, huge, difference).

If the mtpc's DONT sound head and shoulders way above the S4's, then the problem is eartips/fit or burn-in or something.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm going to bet on fit issues. I have experienced quite a bit of these, I must have odd ears or something. Anyhow, point is that when I wasn't getting a good fit my MTPC sounded down right terrible. The bass was so off and the vocals were beyond distant. Basically the whole sound signature was wrong. Once I got a good fit though they should sound just amazing. No aspect really overwhelms or stands out, they just play the music well and clearly.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Assuming you are getting a good fit, which after years of using the e4c's you likely know how to fit IEMs, I would agree with many of the other users here regarding burning in your drivers.  If after burn-in you're still not satisfied, you may want to move to one of the multi-driver balanced armature designs which have a bit less bass and a bit more high end emphasis than your MTPC.  I have not heard the MTPC myself, so I can't help you compare. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 14
You said you wanted an exciting IEM. Maybe this is a case of a particular sound signature not agreeing with your own personal preferences. First, as has been said, make sure you're getting a good fit. Then just listen to the MTPC for a week or so (don't go back to the S4 for that week). You have to let yourself acclimate to what is likely a radically different sound sig. If after that week the MTPC still disappoint, then you should look for other IEMs with a V shaped response and exaggerated bass like the S4. Off the top of my head, the westone 3 comes to mind.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm also wondering if you tried the white foam hybrid tips. They worked wonders with my coppers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back