Sub-$50 interconnect recommendation?
Jan 11, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #31 of 40
OK, then go to the next question. Do you want to assemble your own cable, or buy one ready-made? You can get a far better cable for your money if you can solder, or have a friend who can do it for you. OTOH, you can't return it if you don't like it.

Once you decide which you want to do, there have been several good suggestions in this thread for you.

Jan 11, 2002 at 11:58 AM Post #32 of 40
I actually still use MonsterCables. I use their MkII series mini-RCA, M-Series interconnects, subwoofer cable, and variety of video cables. (not on main system)

They're going to be replaced, but they sound fine, they're not "bad" like many others say.

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
You're joking, right? Because those are what I'm using right now, and having heard of Monster's awful rep I decided that they must be really bad, I just don't have anything better to compare with...

all I know is that Jude used to use these cables before he lost his mind, and kwkarth has compared them to a LOT of cables in the sub-$200 area (only a few went over $100 though I believe), and although he preferred some cables to the 400 mk II's, he found that the differences were meager.

Jan 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #35 of 40
Apature Accusound Silver Stage BL-4's anyone?

braided silver + shielding.

Gotta be the bargain of the century....

p3_9.gif

CAT. #JJ Series - Accusound -Stage BL - 4 Silver: The Accusound cables have the finest specifications (specs) that can be attained by any cable at any price. They use the finest materials that current technology has available; silver conductors in helical litz windings which are individually sealed in nitrogen foamed Teflon or high-molecular polyethylene dielectric and hand terminated with Teflon twin symmetrical gold plated RCA's. More important than the Accusound's features is it's ability to transfer the dimensionality of the "Sound Stage." Where each instrument is surrounded by an identifying air while being placed in it's proper space on the sound stage grid, with all the focus and depth of the live performance. This goes beyond a cable's duty to simply pass the signal information of the audio bandwidth. The BL - 4 Accusound Stage is designed in a 2+2 geometry for interconnect, twin 4+4 for speaker cable; and 8+8 for Bi-wire.

Jan 18, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
In a budget cable, I like the Acoustic Research Pro series, which should be about $25 or less (gray cable). The Premium series ($12 at Best Buy) isn't bad either. I like both of these better than the Monster Interlink 400II.

If you are using the included freebees,
the AR pro cable will make a huge improvement.
These cables are probably the best bang for
the buck (about $15 I thought).

Another really good bang for the buck are the
QED Quenex 2, for about $45.

I use the AR in my video setup, and the QED
in my music system, so I might be biased
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #39 of 40
Well, I found an excuse to pay a visit to the friendly local Magnolia Hi-Fi for an hour and a half, and in addition to hogging the SCD-1 I also got the Audioquest Copperhead cables (1.5' long) for $40.

Mondo improvement! Especially in the bass... Maybe there's something to the whole thing about really good cables...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Well, I found an excuse to pay a visit to the friendly local Magnolia Hi-Fi for an hour and a half, and in addition to hogging the SCD-1 I also got the Audioquest Copperhead cables (1.5' long) for $40.

Mondo improvement! Especially in the bass... Maybe there's something to the whole thing about really good cables...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Good for you! I was also one of the "cable is cable" people until I did the same thing...LISTENED!

I found different levels of cables. You only need what you system is capable of reproducing. I started out with the $50 range cables (interconnects). That was fine with my old Rotel receiver and Fulton speakers. Then I upgraded my speaker cables.

Then, stricken with the "audio disease", I jacked up credit cards with new system components, one by one. I then had to upgrade cables again. Nothing truly exotic, just about the $100 range is good enough for me. Again, I did a lot of listening at a store.

I settled on the Straightwire Encore II's as my main interconnect. But I need one more cable, and I strayed from the Straightwire path and have orderd DH Labs Silver Sonic cables. That should be interesting.

Cables DO make a difference!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back