Sub-$50 interconnect recommendation?
Jan 10, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 40
You should probably keep an eye out for Keith Dyer's interconnect auctions on Audiogon..he sells Silversonics with tiffany-style RCA connectors for around $50; purchased a pair from him a while ago, they're pretty well made. I think I've got his e-mail address somewhere..

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Poor connectors, simple cheap coax... you can do much better...

Speaking of which, has anyone tried making interconnects/speaker cable out of hard microwave coax? It's special low-loss cable used for radio-antenna links; due to the excellent construction the signal loss at 2.4GHz is really low, less than 1db/30' or so.[that's *really* low. I'd like to see your $500 DeMarzio Super M-Path cable do that at 2.4G...] I wonder how it would work for audio?

Jan 10, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 40
fredpb,

I was referring to the bottom of the line straightwires that Headroom sells. I'm sure the higher models are better and more worth it.

eric343,

That times cable, looks decent. It looks like it is a 3 conductor cable though (inner conductor, some sort of secondary conductor, shield). The insulation is okay and the capacitance and inductance are okay. There are better cables out there for audio use though.

The silversonic cable looks pretty good to me though.

Jan 10, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #19 of 40
for under $50, the Monster 400 MK. II is the way to go. Kwkarth and I'm pretty positive Jude will back me up on this. It can best cables costing up to $100! it's certainly not as exotic a name as the others being reccomended here, but it's as high quality an interconnect as you'll get at this price range.

Jan 10, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 40
I just finished making my BL-1's with WBT clone RCA's. For (2) 1m runs it cost ~$30 per stereo set. Of course I had to spend some time soldering, but to save $60 off of retail per cable...not too shabby.

I also ordered a 4ft run of T-14 speaker cable for my center channel (but forgot to order the banana's with it, DOH!). That was only $16.

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

fredpb,

I was referring to the bottom of the line straightwires that Headroom sells. I'm sure the higher models are better and more worth it.

Well, since you were responding to fred's post (and mine), that's not how it came out.

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 40
I agree about the cheaper Straightwire cables. The ones below the Chorus are not worth the price. Like the Musicable. These are not worth it. The Chorus is a bit better than those.

The Symphony II's are where the Straightwire products start sounding different. Their build quality is tolerable. But one thing that irked me about the Symphony II's was how they are wired.
Straightwire advertises that they are four conductor, with shield. This is true. But they lead you to believe that you have two conductors per signal path (signal and common), then the shield.
But that is not how they are wired. They have all four conductors on the center connector, and the shield as the outer conductor.
That irritates me highly....that's a no-no Straightwire! But they do have decent sound.

The Encore II's are of much higher quality than the Symphony II's.
They also have the same type of construction....four conductors and a shield. And they are wired "correctly". Two conductors per signal lead (two for center, two for outer). And the shield is only connected at one end, on the outer part of the connector. I am very happy with the Encore II's. I am sure there are nicer cables, but I really can't afford them.

I have one cable left to upgrade. Probably will be a DH Labs Silversonic.

smily_headphones1.gif
Straightwire website

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 40
I haven't ever invested much $ in interconnect cables, so I wouldn't presume to recommend a set. I do prefer the diy approach, since I am usually after long, non-standard lengths.

I will suggest a test to help you choose. Take a cable, and connect it into the tape loop of a good preamp (just connect the outputs straight to the inputs). Do an A/B test with the tape switch. If you can hear a difference, then it is not an accurate cable. The test should be done with headphones and then with speakers, since they will reveal different things.

Jan 10, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Actually I was responding to eric's post...

Ah, didn't see that, sorry. I thought fred and I were the only ones who had mentioned Straightwires...my bad.

Jan 11, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
for under $50, the Monster 400 MK. II is the way to go. Kwkarth and I'm pretty positive Jude will back me up on this. It can best cables costing up to $100! it's certainly not as exotic a name as the others being reccomended here, but it's as high quality an interconnect as you'll get at this price range.

You're joking, right? Because those are what I'm using right now, and having heard of Monster's awful rep I decided that they must be really bad, I just don't have anything better to compare with...

Jan 11, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343

You're joking, right? Because those are what I'm using right now, and having heard of Monster's awful rep I decided that they must be really bad, I just don't have anything better to compare with...

What do they sound like to YOU? I don't like the Monsters, but that's me. They may sound very different in your system than they do in mine. You may have a very different idea of what "good sound" is than I do.

It's a good idea to compare with other cables, just so you can see if you even hear a difference at all. Best is to see if you can buy from a place that has a good return policy so you aren't stuck with a cable you don't like if the new one isn't what you'd hoped.

Best bet is not to assume anything about what you have, and what you are buying. When you get a new cable, go in with an open mind, and make your own judgements after spending some time listening to both of the cables. It's the best way to find out what sounds good to YOU.

Jan 11, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
I will suggest a test to help you choose. Take a cable, and connect it into the tape loop of a good preamp (just connect the outputs straight to the inputs). Do an A/B test with the tape switch. If you can hear a difference, then it is not an accurate cable. The test should be done with headphones and then with speakers, since they will reveal different things.

I did seriously audition cables. I was hard nosed originally, a believer that wire was wire, and amps with specs were amps with specs. But, unfortunately, I have a nice "high end" shop nearby.

I first got new speaker cables, dumping the standard 12 gage type stuff. Then new speakers.

Eventually, I was auditioning interconnects with a friendly salesman, who connected a VERY nice set of components, and my type of speakers, with my original interconnects.

I was extremely surprised to hear the differences! Wire was not wire. The Straightwire Symphony II's were obviously nicer than the Radio Shack. The Encore II's were beautiful. Close enough for me!

It's hard to to an A/B comparison in the real world of high end shops. I took a lot of time, and the differences were very obvious.

Of course spending mucho $$$$ on cables when you don't have equipment that provides adequate resolution is silly. A $150 cable will not improve a $300 receiver.

Then again, I still scoff at those who say AC power cables make a difference!
evil_smiley.gif

But if I can get a listen, risk free, like a 30 day 100% money back policy, I am willing to try things out.

Jan 11, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

What do they sound like to YOU? I don't like the Monsters, but that's me. They may sound very different in your system than they do in mine. You may have a very different idea of what "good sound" is than I do.

I almost literally have tin ears when I can't do direct a/b comparison, because I have a really awful medium-term audio memory. The fact that this is also the best audio system I've listened to for longer than half an hour at a stretch also affects the whole thing. Besides, if I thought that I couldn't get some better cables for the money then I wouldn't have posted this thread, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back