Sub-$50 interconnect recommendation?
Jan 8, 2002 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I'm looking for some interconnects to replace the current Monster Cable jobs that I'm using between my Sony DVP-S550D CD/DVD player and MG HeadDT. (RCA->RCA) My absolute budget is $50, not including minor tweaks (ProGold...). I'm looking at the Straightwire interconnects sold with HeadRoom; I've had good experiences using the mini-mini cable between my CD player and CHA47 amp.

Jan 8, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 40
Unless you go the DIY route, I suggest saving a little bit more, because the cables that start to really make differences start at around $100... though... eventually I'll have finished my DIY interconnects and will be selling my Cardas 300B's for that much... used route always works.

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 40
The Symphony II goes for pretty much straight on US$50 for 0.5m -- and I've heard them, they're quite good. The Chorus is US$36, and it's not bad (1.0m should be within your price range).

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 40
In a budget cable, I like the Acoustic Research Pro series, which should be about $25 or less (gray cable). The Premium series ($12 at Best Buy) isn't bad either. I like both of these better than the Monster Interlink 400II.

If you don't mind doing some soldering, you can get some DH-Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 cable and a set of RCA plugs, and put something together for under $50 that will sound much better than anything mentioned so far.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 40
For a max of $50 (price will vary with length), I'd recommend an Audioquest cable. $50 will get you a one meter Copperhead pair. I have used the Copperhead's predecessor, the Turquoise II quite a bit on everything from a car system to my home theater system. I currently have about 5 or 6 of the Turquoise II's.

If you want to go used, try to find some Kimber PBJ's, unless the lack of shielding will be a problem. I am using several of the PBJ's in my living room system and they do well for me.

Going the DIY route will get you the most bang for your buck, and I'd suggest making your own cables with PBJ or DH-Labs Silver Sonic bare cable.

-Keith

Jan 9, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 40
I second the recommendation for the Straightwire Symphony II's.
They do sound audible better than the Chorus intereconnects, which are only $10 cheaper.

Jan 9, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 40
Well, I was at Magnolia asking around and the salesdroid *did* recommend a green pair of Audioquest cables, however I'm still wondering if the $25 Straightwire Link from HeadRoom is a better deal.

And I don't want to sound demanding or selfish, but it would be nice if I could get my cables from either HeadRoom(or another online retailer), Magnolia Hi-Fi, or Definitive Audio.

Jan 9, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 40
You can get 1 meter MIT Terminator 4 cables for $36 at Audio Advisor on line. It's a nice sounding cable for the price, a bit on the mellow side. Like HeadRoom, they have a 30 day return policy. AA also carries the full line of StraightWire cables (among many other brands) including the ones that Dusty and fredpb mention. I've not heard them but they both use teflon insulation which is good.

Jan 9, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 40
Dude, BL-1 are audiophile quality! They sound better than them rip off $300/ft silver cables.
I'm gonna buy bulk BL-1 cable (like 200ft), and find someone to terminate them for me professionally. I'll have to try T-14 speaker cables also! They're way sexy too.

I recommend AudioQuest cables. Paying $50 for them goes a long way...

Jan 9, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 40
Eh, the straightwires are pretty crappy IMO. Poor connectors, simple cheap coax... you can do much better... Really not worth it if you really want to upgrade your cable. They sound inert compared to my Cardas and not much of an improvement over radioshack.

I strongly suggest "The Skinny Ones" from diycable (http://www.diycable.com/interconnects.htm) as they will blow anything away at that price range... assembly isn't that hard... If you hunt for the parts yourself it will be even cheaper.

Jan 9, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 40
who makes the BL-1 ?

sounds like my interconnects...the BL-4

Jan 9, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 40
kewl must be from a different company
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Eh, the straightwires are pretty crappy IMO. Poor connectors, simple cheap coax... you can do much better... Really not worth it if you really want to upgrade your cable. They sound inert compared to my Cardas and not much of an improvement over radioshack.

I would strongly disagree with this statement. I have studied the cables, and also have about 10 years of electronics experience, in the trenches. Straightwires are made ok for the price. They are a good product.

I auditioned some cables, including Radioshack, on a system capable of rendering details at a nice shop. Before that audition, I was sure cables were just cables. The Symphony II's were obviously better than the cheaper cables. The Encore II's, which I use, were outstanding. They are a good match for my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back