sub $300 amp for DT880 600ohm
May 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Silverion77

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Finally have gotten around to getting a pair of some 600ohm DT880s.
I also have a pair of Grado HF2s sitting besides me as well that I love.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was any real amp out there that would could have possible synergy with the DT880 both phones in the sub-$300 range.
Fwir, the DT880s tend to prefer tubes as well as a lot of power, but my main concern is the use at school and keeping this relatively small and out of the way.
Couple things that come to mind is the EF-2 or E7/E9 combo, but I have very limited knowledge.

I also looked into the Millett Minimax...but that is just one that caught my eye.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Silver

May 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 5
As for the DT880, I think a Darkvoice 336 is a great match. I don't know about the HF2, but I've heard the GS-1000 and SR325is on the Darkvoice, and that sounds ok too. Although the DT880 IMO is the better match.

Maybe a more "warm" sounding SS could also be a solution, but it could also be a compromise, that won't show the very best of  any of the two cans
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 5
As you can see, I changed my requirements actually...

I can live without the HF2s for the time being as the DT880s are more important to me at the moment.
Any suggestions to work with them would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard good things about the Darkvoice matching and I considered, but a main issue is that this is going to be brought to school and the smaller/less breakable this is, the better it will be.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back