Sub $150 headphones for classical music in coffee shop use
Feb 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

syntheticfish

Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking to buy my first reasonable pair of headphones. I listen to mainly classical music and these will be for use in a coffee shop powered from a laptop or iPhone etc. I'm on a tight budget of $150. I have no problem buying second hand to get in under this figure.

I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT100s (long story how I ended up with these) anyway, thought they were fine until I listened to a pair of Grado 80i which blew me away. These would be in budget but from what I read they aren't ideal for classical music so if I can get something even better then boom! Thank you for your advice!

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Hmm i would recommed the Shure SRH840, they are around $180 on Amazon but you can probably find them around $150 new on ebay, and maybe cheaper second-hand.

They are a fairly neutral headphone, instrument seperation is great and they have an above average soundstage, they have a very transparent sound and clarity is amazing.

I suggest you look up some reviews on them to see if they're for you.

Also if you get them buy a mini jack to mini jack cable, because they will come with a coiled cable which is unpractical for moving around.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Hmmm I could maybe stretch to the beyer dynamic dt660s. Would I need an amp for these? An amp would be out due to portability and cost.

I like mine.  Very efficient, more even than Grado.  Definitely no amp required.  Great isolation and there is some sub-bass.  $220 on amazon but you could wait for bargains like refurbs.  Like almost all closed headphones, not the widest soundstage.  Might be a great match for a coffee shop experience.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT660
These might go for a little more than $150 but if you could probably get a used pair if you looked around. http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you everyone for all the helpful feedback. I'm beginning to think beyer dynamic dt660 is the way to go. Quite a few reviews have been saying that an amp really helps matters so what would people say if I paired it with a fiio e6. All seems very portable and if this is going to transform my listening experience then worth missing a few dinners to stretch for.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Thank you everyone for all the helpful feedback. I'm beginning to think beyer dynamic dt660 is the way to go. Quite a few reviews have been saying that an amp really helps matters so what would people say if I paired it with a fiio e6. All seems very portable and if this is going to transform my listening experience then worth missing a few dinners to stretch for.

Get the cans.  If you feel like you're missing something, get an amp.  Myself, I'd be surprised if there was better sound to be had that was worth the extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back