Sub $100AUD Amp/DAC to power BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms? [Please note, I'm a noob.]
Oct 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dabboo

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi!

I understand these question may seem incredibly stupid but please bare with me, I'm doing my best.

I've just ordered my first set of "audiophile" headphones which are the Dt770s, they'll mainly be for music and gaming and I realised that I'll need a better source than my I/O port on my PC.

I was looking at the Fiio E10 which seems to be the best choice at the moment, but I can't understand how it works. When the Fiio E10 is plugged into the PC via USB is the audio sent through USB to it and then sent to the headphone via the E10 and if so how would I configure my audio to come out of a USB port? 

Or are there better DAC/amps that would better suit the DT770s (80 ohm)?

As I live in Australia things cant often get a bit more expensive which is why I want to keep it as cheap as possible while still keeping some quality.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Dave.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I understand these question may seem incredibly stupid but please bare with me, I'm doing my best.
I've just ordered my first set of "audiophile" headphones which are the Dt770s, they'll mainly be for music and gaming and I realised that I'll need a better source than my I/O port on my PC.
I was looking at the Fiio E10 which seems to be the best choice at the moment, but I can't understand how it works. When the Fiio E10 is plugged into the PC via USB is the audio sent through USB to it and then sent to the headphone via the E10 and if so how would I configure my audio to come out of a USB port? 
Or are there better DAC/amps that would better suit the DT770s (80 ohm)?
As I live in Australia things cant often get a bit more expensive which is why I want to keep it as cheap as possible while still keeping some quality.

Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card can power 80-Ohm headphones.
And they should come with a better DAC then what is built into your motherboard.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card can power 80-Ohm headphones.
And they should come with a better DAC then what is built into your motherboard.

As I'm often in game or on skype I like to be able to adjust the volume which is why I thoguht the E10 would be best as it has a dial. However, what is the sound quality going to be like for E10 vs DG? Any idea?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I was looking at the Fiio E10 which seems to be the best choice at the moment, but I can't understand how it works. When the Fiio E10 is plugged into the PC via USB is the audio sent through USB to it and then sent to the headphone via the E10 and if so how would I configure my audio to come out of a USB port?.

Do you use Windows7? To make your DAC the "default" device:

Attach your E10 to a USB port. Windows will install its drivers. Right-click on the volume control in the system tray and select <Playback devices>. Select your USB DAC from the list of devices. Click the <Set Default> button. Click <OK>. Done.

Otherwise, if you want, you can leave the default as is and select the device from your individual player program (or programs.)

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Do you use Windows7? To make your DAC the "default" device:

Attach your E10 to a USB port. Windows will install its drivers. Right-click on the volume control in the system tray and select <Playback devices>. Select your USB DAC from the list of devices. Click the <Set Default> button. Click <OK>. Done.

Otherwise, if you want, you can leave the default as is and select the device from your individual player program (or programs.)

Thank you! I just couldn't wrap my head around it for some reason, this helps a lot and you'd recommend the E10 for the DT770s?

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Thank you! I just couldn't wrap my head around it for some reason, this helps a lot and you'd recommend the E10 for the DT770s?

Sorry, I haven't heard any FiiO's except the E5. It's so popular, though, you'll have no trouble finding people who have heard the E10 attached to just about any well-known headphone.

Edit: You inquired about a DAC. I changed the subject to amp.

I am a big fan of the E5 which I've heard with my (32-Ohm) DT 990 Premium and (300-Ohm) HD 650. When it's used within its (somewhat-limited) capabilities, I found it to be always pleasing and quite neutral. It's also inexpensive (~US$20), tiny, and cables are included.

OTOH, it wasn't too hard to drive the E5 into distortion. It didn't have enough gain for a number of my DVD's even at its maximum volume. Much as I like it, it's not an ideal desktop amplifier.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
As I'm often in game or on skype I like to be able to adjust the volume which is why I thought the E10 would be best as it has a dial. However, what is the sound quality going to be like for E10 vs DG? Any idea?

The Fiio E10 comes with a better DAC and headphone amplifier then the Xonar DG(X).
The Xonar DG needs just about max volume to drive 250-Ohm headphones, the E10 might be 5/8 to 2/3 max volume.
But the Fiio E10 comes with zero surround sound features, so you would only be gaming and watching movies in 2-channel stereo (no 5.1 surround sound).
Where as the Xonar DG(X) comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Sorry, I haven't heard any FiiO's except the E5. It's so popular, though, you'll have no trouble finding people who have heard the E10 attached to just about any well-known headphone.

I am a big fan of the E5 which I've heard with my (32-Ohm) DT 990 Premium and (300-Ohm) HD 650. When it's used within its (somewhat-limited) capabilities, I found it to be always pleasing and quite neutral. It's also inexpensive (~US$20), tiny, and cables are included.

OTOH, it wasn't too hard to drive the E5 into distortion. It didn't have enough gain for a number of my DVD's even at its maximum volume. Much as I like it, it's not an ideal desktop amplifier.

Yeah I figured I can't really go wrong as so many people own one, cheers!

Quote:
The Fiio E10 comes with a better DAC and headphone amplifier then the Xonar DG(X).
The Xonar DG needs just about max volume to drive 250-Ohm headphones, the E10 might be 5/8 to 2/3 max volume.
But the Fiio E10 comes with zero surround sound features, so you would only be gaming and watching movies in 2-channel stereo (no 5.1 surround sound).
Where as the Xonar DG(X) comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound.

From what I've been reading on these forums the whole "Dolby" thing is just a selling term and it won't really help the audio sound any better but it will change it. If I'm wrong please correct me.

For my situation it does seem that the E10 would be my best bet.

Thank you for your advice though!

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Yeah I figured I can't really go wrong as so many people own one, cheers!
From what I've been reading on these forums the whole "Dolby" thing is just a selling term and it won't really help the audio sound any better but it will change it. If I'm wrong please correct me.
For my situation it does seem that the E10 would be my best bet.

Movies can come with Dolby sound tracks, so I'm surprised someone would think that Dolby Digital 5.1 will not help with audio.
Gaming can be another matter. I'm guessing a lot of games work off something else besides Dolby.
The Xonar does come with other processing stuff besides Dolby, like OpenAL.
So the Xonar DG(X) can process 5.1 gaming audio, while the Fiio E10 is 2-channel audio only.
As the Fiio connects with USB, you will loose access to some features of the motherboard's built in audio.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Movies can come with Dolby sound tracks, so I'm surprised someone would think that Dolby Digital 5.1 will not help with audio.
Gaming can be another matter. I'm guessing a lot of games work off something else besides Dolby.
The Xonar does come with other processing stuff besides Dolby, like OpenAL.
So the Xonar DG(X) can process 5.1 gaming audio, while the Fiio E10 is 2-channel audio only.
As the Fiio connects with USB, you will loose access to some features of the motherboard's built in audio.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess watching movies wouldn't be my main priority it's mainly gaming and music that I'll be doing.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back