Stymax-Obravo HAMT-1 AMT Hybrid
Jan 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Case

New Head-Fier
These Taiwanese headphones using a hybrid of dynamic drivers and Air Motion Transformer (AMT) technology were apparently presented at CES 2014:

http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones_7.htm
http://www.obravo-global.com/Product/Overview.aspx?Id=24
http://www.obravo-global.com/Product/Overview.aspx?Id=25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

Corporate Engrish blurb:
Combined one of the best tweeter technology, AMT tweeter and a great bass performance Dynamic driver, with a multiple countries patented structure design to create a brand new listen experience in over-ear headphone market.

Brent Butterworth:
[...] while the construction and design of the HAMT-1 looked gorgeous, the voicing needs work -- to me, it sounds colored and somewhat muffled in the midrange.

The only other headphones to use the Air Motion Transformer principle seem to be:
  1. Ergo AMT
  2. ESS Mark 1 AMT

HAMT-1 
Frequency Response: 15Hz~45KHz 
Tweeter: 40mm AMT tweeter 
Sensibility in dB/1W/1m:  105dB

Did anybody perchance notice them and can tell us more?

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 56
This is really an interesting product from obravo, audited their ai5 and ai25p before,not colour and muffled at all, not sure about their headphones though

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 56
Case said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif  Did anybody perchance notice them and can tell us more?

I heard them prior to CES, at a show in Taipei. TBH, I'm not a big fan.

The midrange is very colored and somewhat veiled. I wrote about it in this post.

The technology is definitely intriguing and has potential, however. And they aren't the only ones doing Heil-type AMT headphones these days.

Found this short little blurb on them as well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 56
Definitely interested if retail for cheap. AMT? Where have I heard that before I think in speakers or something....bah mind is not functioning well, drinking more should help.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 56
  Ouch on the price. I'm aware of what AMT is and I've heard an AMT tech based loudspeaker.

Yep, ESS are prototyping AMT/dynamic hybrids as well...

From HiFiPlus:

The price is much more reasonable, and I have a little more faith that ESS will bring out more potential out of the AMT drivers, considering they were the pioneers of the technology. Not to say that I think OBravo is incompetent, as their speakers sound decent, but the tuning on the HAMT-1, intentionally colored or not, just isn't very enjoyable.

At the same time, I'm quite curious what the heck Westone is thinking, doing a $5500 (?) ribbon/dynamic hybrid. Huh?
blink.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 56
I brought my ESS MARK-1's to the Head-fi meet up in Redwood City, CA last month and let 2 people give them a try. Then I got shy and left the place, since I'm not really an audiophile and didn't really know what to say to anyone. I just walked aimlessly around with my cans. Maybe, if I feel up to it, or if I bring a friend or two, I'll go to another meet up, and bring both my ESS Mark-1's and my in-law's Precide's Ergo AMT's (both listed in the first post on this string), so everyone can get a taste of the two AMT powered headphones. I don't know why I didn't think to borrow the Ergo AMT's last month, oh well.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 56
  I brought my ESS MARK-1's to the Head-fi meet up in Redwood City, CA last month and let 2 people give them a try. Then I got shy and left the place, since I'm not really an audiophile and didn't really know what to say to anyone. I just walked aimlessly around with my cans. Maybe, if I feel up to it, or if I bring a friend or two, I'll go to another meet up, and bring both my ESS Mark-1's and my in-law's Precide's Ergo AMT's (both listed in the first post on this string), so everyone can get a taste of the two AMT powered headphones. I don't know why I didn't think to borrow the Ergo AMT's last month, oh well.  

So, you and your in-laws are not audiophiles, but yet you possess some of the more technologically-esoteric headphones around? Interesting.

Truth be told, I've never been to a head-fi meet (don't live in the US anymore), but I'm sure the other guys don't bite (or not enough to draw blood, at least
wink.gif
).

They probably are all very curious how your Heil-type headphones sound and would be happy to chat up a storm with you.
duggehsmile.png

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 56
My in-laws may be considered audiophiles and have some very decent equipment, as do I. I married into the Heil family, and now I own most of Oskar Heil's toys. That said, I really don't have the ears or knowledge to consider myself an audiophile.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 56
  My in-laws may be considered audiophiles and have some very decent equipment, as do I. I married into the Heil family, and now I own most of Oskar Heil's toys. That said, I really don't have the ears or knowledge to consider myself an audiophile.

Ah. Makes a lot more sense (your screen name too). I'm sure people would still be happy to check out what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back