Studio headphones
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hedkandiman

New Head-Fier
Hi, new to this forum :] Hope I'm posting in the correct area. I'm looking for a pair of headphones for use when composing music on my PC using Reason connected to a Creative X-Fi sound card. My budget is around £60. Many thanks :]

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 19
Search and ye shall find. Do a forum search for 'studio headphones', or headphones for mixing or music production, and you will get tons of recommendations. I can name a few that will definitely come up . ath-m50, shure 840, and akg k271 or 240

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Many thanks but unfortunately these are outside my budget. I have tried plenty of searches though cannot find any within my budget, hence coming to you guys. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Well, you have the power of the pound going for you.  Definitely check the for sale forums here, as even with international shipping you might be able to get someone selling one of the aforementioned, excellent phones for a price you can swing.  Otherwise, as I imagine you will not be doing any live instrument tracking with Reason, check out something like the Superlux HD-668 or 681 phones.  They're basically AKG clones, and they sound pretty good.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 19
You might find an Equation RP21 in your price range. You can search for the huge thread on that one from a few years back.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Many thanks guys, unfortunately the Equation RP21 will be outside my price range with delivery (they're not available in the UK). The Superlux HD-668's look perfect, except they're 150Ohm and I'll be plugging them directly into my Creative sound card... Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 19
Many thanks guys, unfortunately the Equation RP21 will be outside my price range with delivery (they're not available in the UK). The Superlux HD-668's look perfect, except they're 150Ohm and I'll be plugging them directly into my Creative sound card... Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 19
668B is 56 ohm.
My laptop drives it to ear splitting levels. Even my MP3 player can drive it to very loud volumes. So you concern with Creative whatever is not a concern anymore. =D

Here's the discussion thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485039/superlux-hd668b-are-they-really-that-good-or-just-a-cheap-copycat

Rockgrotto forum has a tonne of discussion on modding the 681.
From what I read, 681 has a slight V-shape equalizer sound: and thus more 'fun' to listen to. And for that reason, it has more room to mod its treble & bass. The 668B is more neutral, some say clinical and less fun.

But to me, the 668B sounds absolutely fantastic for vocals. It's clear & detailed, the bass a bit boomy (personal preference: I dislike heavy bass). Timbre/tone quality/colour/whatever of instruments and voices can be distinguished easily enough. Separation of instruments are also pretty good.
After some very simple blu-tac & cotton, the bass is reduced & tightened up.

I've posted the links to the mods on the link above. The mods for 681 works for 668B too.

It sounds like I'm over-hyping the 668B, and I probably am. But for the price, you just can't go wrong with it. It might not be HD650/K702/DT880 good, but it's good enough for me. It's so cheap it doesn't really matter if you eventually dislike it after buying.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
But the 681's are 32Ohm... perfect! Though they're extremely cheap :\ Are they going to be any good?

Yes, quite actually.  The build quality is nothing special, though they're not going to fall apart.  In terms of the sound quality, however, they will definitely compete with phones up to about the 100 dollar range.  They have pretty good detail, they're fairly neutral...not super comfortable but not awful either, and they're a little bass light.  They are definitely a very good phone though.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks again guys! I've been looking at the 662's, they seem a better spec, what do you think? I'll be creating house music, not really anything special with vocals but it still needs to be a flat response I guess.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Maybe the 662's will do the job, as well most of the AKG's will be good choice as flat studio hps (K-271MKll K-240MKll). I use the K702 for my electronic music production and also for my mastering business, but with the 70X you'll need amp or better sound card like the Apogee's. Other good option will be the GMP's / MB Quart. The M-50 are nice but not so flat, and you can get them for good price on ebay.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 19
someone told me fostex  has a similar design to denon phones?   are  that company  gets some parts from same contractor or something,,, but ive always been curious.. has anyone compared them to denon phones?    i actually do like the look of fostex as well they look like a phone should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back