Student kitchen ethics
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I limit myself to 1 yolk/meal.

So if I need 3 eggs (like I just did for lunch, with 200g of chicken breast), I would have 1 yolk with 3 white portions.

Should be fine having a maximum of 2 yolks/day.

Oh, okay, yeah. I thought you meant an average of 4 whole eggs a day.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 30
I think the safest course of action is just to buy the person some new eggs. You go through plenty, and I'm guessing the domestic bliss is worth the 1.50.

Regardless of what would have happened, you got eggs you didn't pay for. Buying some new eggs doesn't put you out, and I'm sure it will make your roomie happy.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 30
"Oh, by the way, I ate your eggs over the holiday since they were going to expire anyway. Would you like me to buy you some new eggs?"

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #19 of 30
It's a dorm kitchen... nobody will find out and nobody cares. They were dumb enough to leave something that could expire in the fridge... you "disposed" of it for them... there you go!

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 30
You just prevented the waste of food, which is the path to take. It might be 'theirs' but I'm sure that if they are rational, it will be understood. You could also just go and buy a 10 pack and give it to them--no one on the planet could complain then
biggrin.gif

One of my friends had his dumplings stolen by a room mate, which his mother had made and fedex'd to him! Some people, yikes.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my friends had his dumplings stolen by a room mate, which his mother had made and fedex'd to him! Some people, yikes.

Okay, that's definitely not cool!
angry_face.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 30
The way I remember it when my sister lived in a dorm with community kitchens was that: 'If it is ordinary goods (ie cornflakes, milk, eggs), and it isn't marked or labeled, its fair game.' My sister would buy 2 lb blocks of sharp cheddar because she likes to eat pieces of it plain, and it would always disappear, until she finally started sticking it in a container with her name on in.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 30
I'd eat the eggs. The owners aren't there to eat them before they go bad and there's no sense in wasting food.

When the owners return, tell them that you ate the eggs that were about to expire and offer to buy them more. That's fair and you'll come across as a good guy.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd eat the eggs. The owners aren't there to eat them before they go bad and there's no sense in wasting food.

When the owners return, tell them that you ate the eggs that were about to expire and offer to buy them more. That's fair and you'll come across as a good guy.

Yes, and if they actually take him up on the offer, then they're petty.
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eat the eggs. And replace them with a whole chicken. Explain that expiration date passed by and eggs "grew up".

Ha!

Or just replace them with eggs, and say that they were gone far too long, and the chicken had long since died after laying more eggs.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 30
Hehe, I'd agree with BradJudy - eggs don't usually go bad right after the date - which is usually the case with most perishables actually - expiry dates are usually just guidelines with a implicit assertion of: 'proceed with your own risk'

So if I were you, I'd buy back those eggs and tell them as well. Though, if it were me, and they were my eggs, I'd just waiver it, since they don't really cost that much anyway. But I know how some can behave, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back