Stuck with Sony MDR-F1's and Heed Canamp. What now?
Nov 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gorgorsan

New Head-Fier
Hi, Guys. the 2 are not compatible as phones are only 12 Ohms so what do you suggest to sell and what to keep? I've searched for amp recommendation for this current hungry cans but couldn't find any. Also, if you suggest to keep the Canamp instead (will probably be cheaper thus a better option as my budget is around 500 euros) which cans do you recommend the most to go with it? The ones on my short list right now are:

-AKG K701
-AKG Q701
-Ultarsone Pro 900
-Ultrasone Pro 2900

Thank you!

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

I would probably keep the amp, and get rid of the headphones. Sell which ever is more likely to actually get sold basically.

As for which headphones to go with later... well, that's up to you. You just listed two groups of headphones that are pretty opposite, some that are neutral and some that are very bassy. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Heya,

I would probably keep the amp, and get rid of the headphones. Sell which ever is more likely to actually get sold basically.

As for which headphones to go with later... well, that's up to you. You just listed two groups of headphones that are pretty opposite, some that are neutral and some that are very bassy. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Very best,

Hi, MalVeauX. I've listed those 2 groups just to be on a safe side as they are both confirmed to match well with Canamp. I don't mind more bass if it screams quality. K701's are well known excellent match but am curious how Ultrasone's compare to them when driven specifically by Canamp. You have (had) the Canamp?

Thanks

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Hi, MalVeauX. I've listed those 2 groups just to be on a safe side as they are both confirmed to match well with Canamp. I don't mind more bass if it screams quality. K701's are well known excellent match but am curious how Ultrasone's compare to them when driven specifically by Canamp. You have (had) the Canamp?

Thanks

Heya,

You're talking about a probably +10db of bass on the Ultrasone PRO 900 compared to the K701. That's why I'm asking. That's a massive, massive difference. The K701 sounds anemic and thin. The PRO900 sounds like mid-bass cannons with shards of glass trinkling around it.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Neutral anemic? Neutral warm? Bassy? Bassy Bright? Do you want an open or closed headphone? What are you going to be listening to? Home use only?

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

You're talking about a probably +10db of bass on the Ultrasone PRO 900 compared to the K701. That's why I'm asking. That's a massive, massive difference. The K701 sounds anemic and thin. The PRO900 sounds like mid-bass cannons with shards of glass trinkling around it.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Neutral anemic? Neutral warm? Bassy? Bassy Bright? Do you want an open or closed headphone? What are you going to be listening to? Home use only?

Very best,

Bassy I guess with a nice lower end too, fast and clear. Home use only so open back would probably suit me better? I listen to black metal and classical music. The type of black metal with a quite dense mix with a wall of sound distorted guitars, strings, pads and pianos too and with very fast drumming. Did you have a chance to hear pro 2900? Maybe they are less bassy than pro 900 with bigger soundstage? The thing is that Canamp is said to be more on the bassy side and warm by itself (can't confirm as I only have MDR-F1's to test) so it balances well with K701's they say.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Bassy I guess with a nice lower end too, fast and clear. Home use only so open back would probably suit me better? I listen to black metal and classical music. The type of black metal with a quite dense mix with a wall of sound distorted guitars, strings, pads and pianos too and with very fast drumming. Did you have a chance to hear pro 2900? Maybe they are less bassy than pro 900 with bigger soundstage? The thing is that Canamp is said to be more on the bassy side and warm by itself (can't confirm as I only have MDR-F1's to test) so it balances well with K701's they say.

Thanks

Heya,

The PRO2900 is a little less bassy than the PRO900 (expected; it's open air, versus closed). But the PRO2900 sounds way more balanced, easier treble, much better sound stage, and the mids are less distant so it's a nice listen.

But since you listen to metal, I'm going to go ahead and say the Hifiman HE-400 is probably a good direction for you. Warm, super fast, a little sparkle, great for metal. Great for everything. And it would love that Canamp.

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

The PRO2900 is a little less bassy than the PRO900 (expected; it's open air, versus closed). But the PRO2900 sounds way more balanced, easier treble, much better sound stage, and the mids are less distant so it's a nice listen.

But since you listen to metal, I'm going to go ahead and say the Hifiman HE-400 is probably a good direction for you. Warm, super fast, a little sparkle, great for metal. Great for everything. And it would love that Canamp.

Very best,

Thanks for a suggestion man! What about other more costly Hifiman models? Are any of them good for metal too?

Thanks

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for a suggestion man! What about other more costly Hifiman models? Are any of them good for metal too?

Thanks

Heya,

Yes, they are. But they also start requiring beastly amounts of power (well, not *require* but they scale better with loads of current). I use a speaker amp on my Hifimans.

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

Yes, they are. But they also start requiring beastly amounts of power (well, not *require* but they scale better with loads of current). I use a speaker amp on my Hifimans.

Very best,

How would you describe differences between HE-400 and HE-500. Is it a worthy upgrade? Also, on their site they say that HE-500 are easy to drive. You think they are too much for Canamp?

Thanks

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
How would you describe differences between HE-400 and HE-500. Is it a worthy upgrade? Also, on their site they say that HE-500 are easy to drive. You think they are too much for Canamp?

Thanks

Heya,

They are similar. The HE-400 has little more bass presentation and punch. The HE-500 has better overall refinement, resolution, and soupy mids and better treble (not dark, not overly bright, just enough sparkle). The HE-400 is a great headphone. The HE-500 is the direction you go if you want something that focuses really on being a relaxed, flat treat. The HE-400 might be considered a little more "fun" and less refined. I don't really call it an upgrade, I call it more of a flavor thing. And yes, they are relatively easy to drive, the Canamp will drive them. Per Dr Fang, they need about 1 watt to be fully dynamic at 38ohms. I am putting about 7 watts into mine at that ohm rating. I like it better with more current. And my amp was cheaper than my headphone amps by half. Oddly enough. A lot more information here. I would start with the HE-400. It's excellent. And it's a lot easier to sell later if you find you don't like it. Selling a flagship is much more difficult and you lose more in the process. Don't buy a flagship headphone unless you've listened to it or have a good return policy from where you buy it.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

They are similar. The HE-400 has little more bass presentation and punch. The HE-500 has better overall refinement, resolution, and soupy mids and better treble (not dark, not overly bright, just enough sparkle). The HE-400 is a great headphone. The HE-500 is the direction you go if you want something that focuses really on being a relaxed, flat treat. The HE-400 might be considered a little more "fun" and less refined. I don't really call it an upgrade, I call it more of a flavor thing. And yes, they are relatively easy to drive, the Canamp will drive them. Per Dr Fang, they need about 1 watt to be fully dynamic at 38ohms. I am putting about 7 watts into mine at that ohm rating. I like it better with more current. And my amp was cheaper than my headphone amps by half. Oddly enough. A lot more information here. I would start with the HE-400. It's excellent. And it's a lot easier to sell later if you find you don't like it. Selling a flagship is much more difficult and you lose more in the process. Don't buy a flagship headphone unless you've listened to it or have a good return policy from where you buy it.

Very best,

Ok, thanks again for all the info and for the link to your review. Will check it up.

Regards

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

Hey, MalVeauX. Just to be sure we've been talking about rev2 or rev3 HE-400s?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back