Stuck on upgrade path. Need air!
Dec 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so, I recently sold my ATH-AD900s after seeking an upgrade. I really did love these headphones, though I wanted to find a headphone similar, but with more, punchy bass. I purchased the Ultrasone Pro 900, which I think are not a bad headphones, but I find them sibilant with some female vocals (such as Taylor Swift), and the overall sound signature I'm just not digging compared to my old ATH-AD900s. I also don't really want to perform the Kees mod on these as I doubt it will give me what I am after, and I'd rather not hurt the resale value.

I miss the airiness, energy and liveliness I felt I had with the AD900. I need something like them, but with a little more, and punchy bass and something that has a great soundstage that I can use for gaming. The AD900 would be perfect if only it had some more, punchy bass. Any suggestions? Is the AD2000 a possible option that will fit my requirement? What other options do I have?

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 19
The DT990/600 is exactly what you want, but it does require a fairly serous amp to sound right.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 19
Perhaps the 880 then.

Seriously, though, it seems like most open mid-centric headphones that also have punchy bass need a lot of power.  I think when you're working with really efficient headphones, something's got to give in the sound.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Perhaps the 880 then.

Seriously, though, it seems like most open mid-centric headphones that also have punchy bass need a lot of power.  I think when you're working with really efficient headphones, something's got to give in the sound.

I was actually thinking the DT880s. I know their bass MAY not have enough kick as I'm looking for, but has anyone heard both the DT880 AND the AD900? Any other suggestions?

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 19
I've heard the 250-Ohm DT880s and the AD700s.  I own the DT990s.  They are very warm and punchy, but I don't know if I'd characterize them as airy.  I don't think the mids are recessed.  I liked the HD650s for that reason:  excellent detail, soundstage and instrument separation.  But I wanted more bass, so I'm continuing my search (up next:  D5000).  From what I remember, though, the HD650s had more bass than the AD700s.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I've heard the 250-Ohm DT880s and the AD700s.  I own the DT990s.  They are very warm and punchy, but I don't know if I'd characterize them as airy.  I don't think the mids are recessed.  I liked the HD650s for that reason:  excellent detail, soundstage and instrument separation.  But I wanted more bass, so I'm continuing my search (up next:  D5000).  From what I remember, though, the HD650s had more bass than the AD700s.

The problem with the HD650s I feel is there just isn't that energy and liveliness that the AD900s have, I've never heard the HD600. Maybe that might be worth a shot? Anyone also have a bit of experience with a lot of AT headphones? Anything else from them that may tickle my fancy?

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Ok, so, I recently sold my ATH-AD900s after seeking an upgrade. I really did love these headphones, though I wanted to find a headphone similar, but with more, punchy bass. I purchased the Ultrasone Pro 900, which I think are not a bad headphones, but I find them sibilant with some female vocals (such as Taylor Swift), and the overall sound signature I'm just not digging compared to my old ATH-AD900s. I also don't really want to perform the Kees mod on these as I doubt it will give me what I am after, and I'd rather not hurt the resale value.

I miss the airiness, energy and liveliness I felt I had with the AD900. I need something like them, but with a little more, and punchy bass and something that has a great soundstage that I can use for gaming. The AD900 would be perfect if only it had some more, punchy bass. Any suggestions? Is the AD2000 a possible option that will fit my requirement? What other options do I have?

Stax Lambda. Seriously (it even has a similarish midrange coloration). Don't think it's expensive either - a vintage normal bias lambda was sold on head-fi recently for $175. IMO you could probably pick up an SRM1 mk2 (make sure it has a normal bias slot if you want to use the cheaper, vintage lambda) and a vintage lambda for less than the gear you are selling

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 19
How about one of the closed Audio Technicas then? A900 (I think there's a Ti special edition on the sale forums), W1000, W5000, etc.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 19
Airy to me screams DT880, but I'm not sure the bass weight is what you're looking for. I've had to face the sad reality that airy and bass just don't go together very often (if at all). The DT880 responds decently well to EQ, if that's an option.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Airy to me screams DT880, but I'm not sure the bass weight is what you're looking for. I've had to face the sad reality that airy and bass just don't go together very often (if at all). The DT880 responds decently well to EQ, if that's an option.

Yeah I understand. DT880 seems like one option, though I'm worried the bass will pretty much be the same as the AD900. It was just that the AD900 sounded great for my post-rock kind of stuff. So much clarity, air and sparkly highs. Just missed that extra kick for rock music which is what I am trying to find without compromising the other aspects of the sound I like.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 19
I have only tried the 80is, but Grado bass to me is awesome. My metal albums (most of my music library) totally come to life when being pumped through them. Idk if you have tried any Grados but you might wanna give 'em a shot. 

Also, have you listened to a pair of ATH-A700s? I am thinking of picking up a pair. I loves me some Grados, but my EDM just doesn't sound that great through them. I was hoping the A700s would be a bit more "all around" then the 80is.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I have only tried the 80is, but Grado bass to me is awesome. My metal albums (most of my music library) totally come to life when being pumped through them. Idk if you have tried any Grados but you might wanna give 'em a shot. 

Also, have you listened to a pair of ATH-A700s? I am thinking of picking up a pair. I loves me some Grados, but my EDM just doesn't sound that great through them. I was hoping the A700s would be a bit more "all around" then the 80is.

I'm thinking I may just end up buying the AD900 or DT880 again for my post-rock type stuff and something like the SR225 or 325 for my rock/metal as it seems getting a headphone to do exactly what I am after is near impossible. The problem the Grado's have for my post-rock is the size of the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back