Stuck in a bind what to do?
Jan 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
So I had the Shure 535 but had fitting issues with it so I returned it for the westone um3x which fits great but the sound isolation is not as good as the 535s. I mainly use them on my commute on the train and at work when there's a lot of chatter I want to drown out. With the um3x the rumble comes in whereas with the 535 it's almost in-audible. I'm wondering if it's the olives from the shure that gave me the better fit vs the olives that came from the um3x but I don't want to risk buying a pack and still not having a good isolation. I could get the custom um56 but from what I understand the customs extend pretty deep in the canal and is not that comfortable. I don't want to spend the money and then still have it isolate but be uncomfortable. What should I do?

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Customs are probably the most comfortable solution for in ear headphones in existence right now, if they're uncomfortable then they aren't molded right.
And I don't understand how you're using headphones that are $300+ but you don't want to buy some foam tips?  Yet you're considering custom tips that would be another $100+?
If you found olive tips to be comfortable and isolate well on your Shure's there's no reason why they won't be the same on the UM3x.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Customs are probably the most comfortable solution for in ear headphones in existence right now, if they're uncomfortable then they aren't molded right.
And I don't understand how you're using headphones that are $300+ but you don't want to buy some foam tips?  Yet you're considering custom tips that would be another $100+?
If you found olive tips to be comfortable and isolate well on your Shure's there's no reason why they won't be the same on the UM3x.

x2

this thread doesnt even need more replies
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 10

x2

this thread doesnt even need more replies
tongue_smile.gif

I've tried the foam tip and they irritate my ears. That's why I don't use them. Yes the olives from shure isolated well but I'm not entirely sure if it was the olives or maybe because the shure itself fitted a bit different which added to the isolation. If it's the latter than getting the shure olives for the um3x may not help as the um3x is a bit smaller. The reason why i asked about the custom is because a few posts in the forum have stated that the customs are hard and not soft (unless i misunderstood) and that after awhile it gets uncomfortable. I'm willing to spend the extra $$ If it means I can find the right fit with the least hassle.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Deep extension into the ear canal is highly desirable in attaining maximum isolation and a full seal. I would recommend a Sesnaphonics custom sleeve for the 535 as the perfect solution, but apparently that ship has sailed.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Both 535 and the um3x isolate fairly well. The difference cannot be much  because both of them have a similar design. Try the olives on the um3x, you will most likely get a seal closer to the 535. If you still are not able to get the seal then you should try getting a custom tip, which are more comfy and better isolating than any other universal tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back