Strange Problem with Etymotic Hf2
Dec 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Spikey115

New Head-Fier
I have a very strange problem using my Etymotic Research Hf2's and iPhone. I recently returned my original pair to Etymotic for repair (no sound on left side) and got back a replacement. This replacement produces sound from both earbuds but the microphone and the button on the microphone do not work with my iPhone. What's strange about that? Well, the mic and button DO work on two iPods i've tested them on and I even went to the apple store to test them on iPhones, the Ety Hf2 mic and button work flawlessly with all iPhones/iPods i've tried except mine. Conclusion, my iPhone jack is the problem right? Well, the strange thing is that if I use the included iPhone earbuds, the microphone and button on those earbuds DO work with my iPhone. Huh?? I am very confused as to where the problem lies. Are the Hf2's defective or is my iPhone jack defective? Any ideas as to where the problem might be? At this point, I am thinking it is my iPhone but then why would it work with the apple earbuds and not with the Hf2's?

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 27
Are you using it through a case perhaps?

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 27
I have the exact same problem. Got a replacement set of hf2s and the button no longer works with my iPhone 3gs. They sent me a new design and the button simply doesn't work. The button does work on my iPhone 2g and several iPods. My old hf2 set also still works on my 3gs. So it seems to be a combination of the new hf2s and the 3gs.

I have not had a chance to test them on another 3gs, so I cannot pinpoint the problem. Also, I am not using a case.

Please let me know of you figure anything out.

Jake

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 27
I have tested them now on a 3g and the button does not work. It seems as if the button on the new version of the hf2s does nit work on the 3g or 3gs. I will be calling them on Monday to complain.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tested them now on a 3g and the button does not work. It seems as if the button on the new version of the hf2s does nit work on the 3g or 3gs. I will be calling them on Monday to complain.

I would be very interested to know what they say. I tested both the 3g and 3gs at an Apple Store, along with iPod nano's and classics and the mic/button on the Hf2's works on all of them. I was not aware of a design change in the Hf2's and I don't know what "model" my replacements are, but it is extremely frustrating because I specifically chose the Hf2's over the Hf5's for this functionality. I contacted etymotic and they replied with the following:

"Let's be sure this is not a connection problem due to the jack. Mic issues are rare and of those customers who have had a mic problem, it was determined that there was lint or dirt inside the iPhone-jack. I suggest "blowing out" the jack using compressed air. (do not put the 'straw' directly into the iPhone jack though) If this does not correct the problem, I have included RMA information for you below.

Etymotic Research, Inc. automatically warrants all products against defects in material or workmanship. The hf2 has a 2-year warranty period from the date of original purchase from an authorized Etymotic distributor or reseller. "

This did not work for me, but I knew that because like I said on my original post, the iPhone (3g) that I have responds to the Apple iPhone headphones, just not the Hf2's. There is definitely a problem with compatibility between the headphones and the iPhone models. At first I thought it was the upgrade to OS 3.1 or firmwere, but the iPhones i've tested had this upgrade and they fine worked with the Hf2's. I will follow up with etymotic and post here any prudent info. If anyone has any other info, it would be very beneficial to know.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 27
That is strange. I also tried using compressed air in the headphone Jack and I still have the same problem.

My original hf2s had a straight plug that lead to excessive wear and one of the earbuds to stop working. The "new" design they sent me has an angled plug. That is the only difference I can see. Like I said, the mic and button on my old set continues to work on my iPhone 3gs. I will report back here after I talk to them on Monday. I encourage you to call as well. It is a very small company (I get the same woman in the warranty department every time I call). So, if we both call with the same complaint they will hopefully get the idea that it is not an isolated problem to the two of us.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 27
Talked to Etymotic today. They claim they have had no other reported issues like the one I described. She asked if I cleaned out the headphone jack and I told her that I had. She gave me an RMA and had me send them back.

I would not be surprised if they claim there is nothing wrong with them and if I end up getting the short end of this. It really pisses me off because my original set of HF2s continue to work (despite sound only coming out of one of the earbuds). But I am confident they will end up claiming something is wrong with my phone (even though I told them that I have tested them on several devices with the button working on only about half of them).

I will let you know if I hear anything else. I encourage anybody else having this issue to call Etymotic at 1-888-389-6684. Ask for the Warranty department. The more people we have complain the better chance they will get it fixed.

Thanks.
Jake

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 27
could be I guess. I have done all I can to spin and lightly jiggle the headhphone end while in the jack to see if I could get the button to work 1 time. But I have had no luck. Seems like if it were a spotty connection that you could get it to work once in a while with enough adjusting.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 27
I have. I think I know what you mean. Some devices have trouble with the "4 contact" plugs (I think that is what you call them). I have tried pulling it out slowly and have had no luck. The actual plug looks exactly the same as the original HF2s that I have. That is what is strange and makes me think it is not a connection problem.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 27
this is weird. it shouldn't be happening
confused01
. get back to iphones for a check.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 27
I've been in contact with Etymotic, trying to figure out what to do. They have replied: "I can't guarantee this will never happen again but it is not a known issue. We now have a new design. The change in design is that the plug is now angled." They offered me to return them for an exchange. I may do so, not because I am confident this will fix my problem, but because I think an angled plug is better for preventing loss of sound in one/both earbuds (which was my first malfunction with these earbuds). I can live without the mic/button until April when I'm due for an iPhone upgrade, which i'm willing to bet will work with the Hf2's, if not, then I will surrender and use them as earbuds without the mic/button functionality...A minor inconvenience, but not the end of the world.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by noisecancelationheadphone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is weird. it shouldn't be happening
confused01
. get back to iphones for a check.

Every single iPhone and iPod was worked flawlessly with my current pair, except my iPhone 3G. Extremely frustrating especially knowing that the iPhone is not the issue. I'm about to give up
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back