Strange Problem with Etymotic Hf2
Jan 3, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask them for a Hf3 as replacement!

Maybe you meant Hf5?? If only I could get them to replace it with the ER4. Amazon currently has them for $167 which is LESS than I paid for the Hf2's!!! Of course they probably won't do that since they're selling at retail ($299) from Etymotic's online store. If I called them to complain and ask them to exchange for ER4 (citing the current Amazon price), what are the chances they will accept?? Not very promising I think.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hf3 is the Hf2 but with playback controls. It's being released at CES.

I see. So it will the Hf2 with similar functionality to the iPod shuffle headphones?

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 27
So Etymotic basically told me that after testing the headphones on all versions of the iPhone after I sent my Hf2s back that there was no problem with them and that they would be sending them back to me.

Clearly I was frustrated. I did a little searching online and found this guide to cleaning the headphone jack: YouTube - Clean the iPhone earphone jack

I followed the directions (make sure to have your phone off first), and it worked like a charm. Also, make sure to give it 5 or 10 minutes to dry out afterwords. And I used Rubbing Alcohol instead of Windex.

A little more searching confirms that the iPhone has common problems with the headphone jack getting dirty. The new version of the HF2 that I was given must be more sensative then the old version, but everything is working now!

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a little searching online and found this guide to cleaning the headphone jack: YouTube - Clean the iPhone earphone jack

Ok, I tried this with my iPhone. A lot of dirt did come out with the Qtip but after letting it dry for a while, no luck. My Hf2's still don't work. I officially give up.
frown.gif
Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #22 of 27
That stinks Spikey. Maybe there is officially something wrong with your headphones.

You might also want to try another round with the qtip. After I posted my last message my mic button stopped working again (actually, it only worked when the headphone plug was turned in one particular direction.

I followed the above cleaning regiment 2 more times, letting it dry in between each time, and it is now working pretty perfect and has been so for almost 2 days. The only problem I have is that when the headphone plug is turned to one particular location, very rarely the volume will kick up on the phones (almost like the iPhone thinks the HF2s got unplugged. But this is pretty rare.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 27
I've been having a problem with my HF2s that's somewhat different than those in here, but still related to the connector.

When I'm listening to my iPhone 3GS with the HF2s the volume changes like CRAZY when there's contact with the jack. If I set the phone on the table and listen there are no issues, but if it's in my pocket it's really unpredictable. I can recreated it by playing with the jack while holding it in my hand. The volume slider in the iPod app actually goes up and down with the volume changes, so it's not like something isn't making contact. I can most readily make it happen by rotating the jack in either direction. Interestingly, there is no correlation between the direction of rotation and whether the volume increases or decreases. In fact, I can make a quarter turn CCW and see the volume drop by maybe 20%. Then I can make another quarter turn CCW and the volume will go back to the original level. It happens not just with rotation but also just contact with the jack. The upshot is that it's almost impossible to use the HF2s when the iPhone is in my pants pocket or a lose coat pocket -any contact whatsoever to the jack can make the volume change.

I've been unable to find any other reports of this precise problem with the HF2 or any other headphones with an iPhone. I emailed Etymotic last week and the finally got back to me today telling me to send them in, but they claim that "this is one I haven't heard yet" so I'm a little worried that I'm going to get the run-around.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by prozach1576 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having a problem with my HF2s that's somewhat different than those in here, but still related to the connector.

When I'm listening to my iPhone 3GS with the HF2s the volume changes like CRAZY when there's contact with the jack. If I set the phone on the table and listen there are no issues, but if it's in my pocket it's really unpredictable. I can recreated it by playing with the jack while holding it in my hand. The volume slider in the iPod app actually goes up and down with the volume changes, so it's not like something isn't making contact. I can most readily make it happen by rotating the jack in either direction. Interestingly, there is no correlation between the direction of rotation and whether the volume increases or decreases. In fact, I can make a quarter turn CCW and see the volume drop by maybe 20%. Then I can make another quarter turn CCW and the volume will go back to the original level. It happens not just with rotation but also just contact with the jack. The upshot is that it's almost impossible to use the HF2s when the iPhone is in my pants pocket or a lose coat pocket -any contact whatsoever to the jack can make the volume change.

I've been unable to find any other reports of this precise problem with the HF2 or any other headphones with an iPhone. I emailed Etymotic last week and the finally got back to me today telling me to send them in, but they claim that "this is one I haven't heard yet" so I'm a little worried that I'm going to get the run-around.

Now that I have cleaned out the jack and the button and mic now work, I am having the problem that you are describing, but it is quite rare. I can recreate the problem by pulling the plug out very gently and spinning the plug. It sometimes happens on its own, but it is rare. I am just glad the mic and button are working, as that is the only reason I paid so much for these headphones. I am not happy with the overall quality of the phones, but what can you do?

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 27
Here's a note I just sent Etymotic on related problems:

Hi there,

I purchased a pair of HF2 headphones in May 2009 from swiftgamers.com. I now use them with an iPhone 3GS and in the last week I have been experiencing the following problems:

1) the sound will occasionally drop to below the original value.
2) the microphone does not work
3) the microphone play/pause button does not work

Further fiddling revealed that if I push against the jack in a direction perpendicular to the direction of plug-in, I can often achieve a temporary fix of the above problems, but they soon return if the jack is later bumped at all.

I have tested the phone with both the default Apple headset and a pair of Sure SE310's, both of which work fine. I have also tested the headphones on multiple iphones (two 3G iphones and two 3GS iphones) and the HF2s experience the above problems on all the phones I've tried.

So I'm pretty confident that something is awry with the headphones themselves. Please let me know how I might proceed from here to get a replacement set. Also, is this something that has been reported very frequently?

Cheers,

Mike

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 27
I had the problem with my HF2 that at first it started changing the cvolume for me when I had my iphone in my pocket and later the mic died for me. The solution for me was a simple needle, and get all the dust etc out of the headphone jack on the iphone. I needed a needle, since blowing into the jack wouldn't get all the stuff out. The iPhone headphone jack, when in your pocket, becomes just like your belly button...

Every once in a while I use a needle and clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back