strange phenom it seems with 990 600 ohm headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BlueSundays

100+ Head-Fier
 Once upon a time when I had a "job" (deployed to Baghdad) and I had money, I had a beyer 990 600ohm set of cans with black dragon rewire. Now I had a good ole sony x7esd for a source and a woo audio 2 AND a cary 300 F1. Now listening to these cans, they had an awful muffled sound. Now I tried both amps and I think I tried the headphone out on the x7esd. All of em sounded like this. And dont think that the cary 300 f1 had the typical 300 sound. It did not. It was liquid but accurate. Probably not really what I wanted to be honest. Any how, I had also 650s, and the gs1000s which did not sound like this. I was just wondering if maybe I received a faulty pair, or is this how the 600ohm beyers sound. If so I despise it. Its like a senn veil on speedball and pcp. If not I may try again in the future. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
 Once upon a time when I had a "job" (deployed to Baghdad) and I had money, I had a beyer 990 600ohm set of cans with black dragon rewire. Now I had a good ole sony x7esd for a source and a woo audio 2 AND a cary 300 F1. Now listening to these cans, they had an awful muffled sound. Now I tried both amps and I think I tried the headphone out on the x7esd. All of em sounded like this. And dont think that the cary 300 f1 had the typical 300 sound. It did not. It was liquid but accurate. Probably not really what I wanted to be honest. Any how, I had also 650s, and the gs1000s which did not sound like this. I was just wondering if maybe I received a faulty pair, or is this how the 600ohm beyers sound. If so I despise it. Its like a senn veil on speedball and pcp. If not I may try again in the future. 

I was looking for an open back dynamic can with sub-bass (<40Hz) and bought a pair of 990 600 ohm.  It did have sub-bass but the mid-bass hump interfered with it and it became too much bass.  Sent 'em back.  Got the 880 600, lost most of the sub-bass but things are clearer now.  I don't know if that's your problem but it was mine.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 3
it had a very bloated sound. Rediculously so. This was before the influx of the new flagships. Had they been out I would have bought one of those instead. I liked the hd650 more than the GS1000(was new at this time). So I figure Id try the 600ohm 990 that people raved about. If thats the norm, Im horribly unimpressed and need to look elsewhere.  I wanted a refined, fuller midrange 990. Really though a good tube amp will do that, like the Wheatfield HA-2 I used to own (once I got a good rectifier for it, but by then I had put it on sale and got quite a few offers so I just sold it. Stupid... not as stupid as selling the MDR-R10 made for me by request when they still made em.). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back