Strange DT880 conundrum
Jan 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

russraff

New Head-Fier
A while back, a year maybe, I bought a set of second hand DT880's (250 ohm) and have been using them happily with a modest rig comprising: PC spdif out to Musical Fidelity V-Dac and out to a Firestone Cute Beyond amp. The 'phones recently developed a rattle and, upon taking them apart, I was a bit shocked at the build quality. Turns out the previous owner had done a "mod" to make the DT880's more like the 990's, so no mesh and the felt bit has been removed (badly). 
So, given that I can't fix the rattle (sounds like the driver is knackered) I want to know what to replace the DT880's with. Thing is, I haven't really been listening to the 880's, so I don't know if simply replacing them will actually cut the mustard, or even if the 250 ohm ones are the right ones to start with or ought I get the 990's or something different?

I need help!! 

I am willing to spend £250 and I admit that I am not a headphone expert but I do know what kind of sound I like, at least in hi-fi terms. Fast pacey detailed and rhythmic, so I'd buy Cyrus and Naim over Arcam or NAD any day of the week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Russell

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the modded DT880.  It sounds as if the mod history on those cans wasn't disclosed prior to sale.

DIY repairing is always an option, as the drivers, felt, & mesh can be purchased directly from Beyer.  If DIY isn't your cup of tea, I would probably put those DT880 up for sale, with full disclosure of the previous crap mod discovery, of course.  I'm sure there's a head fi-er out there who would want these for the parts.

Then, the first question I would ask myself is whether or not I need open or closed cans.

Next, I would determine if I liked the Beyer sound signature.  You seem to have been happy with the DT880 and your modest rig prior to discovering the rattle.  So, purchasing the DT880 again is an option - go with what you know!  The new DT880 will sound different, as they'll be stock w/o the hack job mod you discovered.  The sound of the stock DT880 may be more to your liking.

I've been doing some research on the DT 880 myself, and plan to purchase the 600 ohm version at the end of this month.  From the research I've done, I find that the general consensus amongst the head-fi threads I've read is that the 600 ohm version of the DT 880 sounds the best.  I'm not sure if the Firestone Cute is capable of driving the Beyer 600 ohm cans, though, even with it's high/low gain switch.  I've read that, comparatively, the DT880 sounds better than the DT990. 

I currently own the DT150 250 ohm, and a re-cabled DT770 600 ohm.  The DT150 250 ohm is my favorite "all-rounder".  I love the sound signature & the build quality.  I don't like the pleather pads for listening sessions lasting longer than a couple of hours, though.  The DT770 600 ohm are my favorite closed cans for rock and electronica. 

I've also previously owned the DT770 250ohm.  While the 600 ohm version is better with my amp (I have a Woo 6), the 250 ohm DT770 was no slouch.  I would recommend upgrading to the leather earpads, on the DT770 as they really help with bass and isolation.  (If you're sticking with the semi open DT880, then I would not recommend the leather earpads.)

You may find this information useful:

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/information-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990

The 250 ohm versions of the DT150, DT770, and DT880 are all within your budget.  The 250 ohm versions might be the better choice if you plan on changing amps in the future, as not all amps are capable of driving 600 ohm cans.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Yes, most people here seem to prefer the 600 ohm DT880's to any other.  I like the 250 ohm model the best though.

I found the 600 ohm DT880's a hair brighter, which I didn't like, but they did have tighter, more impactful bass.  But in the end, I preferred the warmer treble of the 250 ohm model.

Everyone's ears and likes and dislikes are different though too !!

smile_phones.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the replies. I don't need to have closed back cans so I would guess that remaining with open would be for the best?

I have been toying with the idea of the 600 ohm DT880's, but don't want to leave things at one make at this stage. I have only ever had two full size can's: the ones I have and some Senn 595's. Therefore, am curious to see if there is any mileage in other other marques. After all, I only got the DT880's as the price was attractive rather than the result of any meaningful research. Folk often mention the AKG 702 and Senn HD600 as an alternatives and Audio Technica AD900 is priced similarly so I am assuming it is a contender, too. But what are the comparative pros and cons? After some reading, I have dug up some facts, bur whether they are right or not I don't know:

The Senn HD600 has more sparkle than the HD650 and lacks the latter's "Sennheiser veil" as well as being easier to properly drive.
The AKG has a very wide soundstage and is mid range biased in its delivery. Some folk think this makes them sound boring others that the 702 is as exciting as the music that you play. Very long burn in. Oh, and they look great.
Audio-Technica AD900's seem to be less popular and I don't know why. It seems they also have a spacious soundstage and are detailed, but lack bass weight and can sound too bright. I don't crave bass, necessarily, but it does seem that this issue crops up quite often and is kinda putting me off.  
The Beyer DT880 does seem to get a lot of good press. The 600's brighter presentation would work for me, but some folk are saying that the midrange is recessed and some of the other options are more musical and less of a studio monitor.

Whether this quick bit of review searching, that led me to the points above, are correct or not I am hoping someone will advise. I guess that at this price point there will always be a compromise. I just need to figure out, with a bit of help, what cans have which compromises and take it from there. 

Russell

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 13
What kind of music do you listen to? 

Some of us have different cans for different musical genres.  If you don't need closed cans, I'd stick with the open design.  I prefer closed for its sound isolating qualities in my noisy household.  I like to get lost in the music.

I have owned the HD650, and found them to be very warm with lots of bass.  The "veil" wasn't that noticeable with my equipment.  They did seem to be brighter with a re-cable.  I used both the Cardas and the Blue Dragon Cables on the HD650.  I've only recently sold them in favor of a completely Beyer lineup (except for my Etymotic HF-5); so, I guess I'm a bit Beyer biased. 

Still, I would highly recommend the HD650 to anyone who was looking for an "all-rounder" & didn't need a closed design.

I can't comment on any AKG as I've not listened to any.  I have considered them; but, after reading reviews about the bass quality, I decided I probably wouldn't like them.  The only Audio-Technica I've tried are the ATH M-50s; they sounded good, but I wasn't blown away.

I recommend buying from a retailer that has a liberal return policy.  This way, you can audition a few different brands on your own equipment without being "stuck" with headphones you don't like.

The 600 ohm DT880 gets my vote.  This is, of course, coming from someone who doesn't yet own the DT880.  I will post my findings at the end of this month when they arrive, though!

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 13
My musical tastes are kind of varied, but I do like full sounding tracks. I am not too keen on simple acoustics or a traditional "two guitars and a drum kit" type band. I like things big, so Rammstein, Pendulum and Korn are all faves. I also like some older prog rock stuff like Yes' magnification album and War of the Worlds needs a mention, too.

Russell 

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 13
A lot of people like the Grado SR60 for rock.  They're worth a try for the price.

If you find you like the Grado sound, then perhaps try the SR325i.  They're stylishly retro, good build quality, & regarded by some as good rock cans.  I don't own either, but I have tried them.  They're not full size, rather, an earpad design; this could be a comfort issue for some.

Grados are open cans.  In general, it is easier to get great sound quality for less money out of an open design in your price range.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 13
 The SR325i's are a little bright IMO, whereas the 225's are a nicer balance between cost and performance I think.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Kevin,

Looking at your sig, it looks like you have the DT880's, AD900's and Grado 225's - what can you tell me on their respective abilities? I assume that you use different cans for different types of listening?? 

I must say that I have not considered the 225's on the grounds that when I have seen them in the flesh they feel more than a little rickety. The 325's are £310 so out of my budget.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Ah - sorry about that, Russel. 

The 325 is only around $295 here in the states, hence the recommendation.  (I was just converting dollars to pounds.)  When I do a google search for the 325 on some UK sites, however, I see that they're in the $480 range!

Yes, the 225 is within your budget.  Happy hunting!

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
A while back, a year maybe, I bought a set of second hand DT880's (250 ohm) and have been using them happily with a modest rig comprising: PC spdif out to Musical Fidelity V-Dac and out to a Firestone Cute Beyond amp. The 'phones recently developed a rattle and, upon taking them apart, I was a bit shocked at the build quality. Turns out the previous owner had done a "mod" to make the DT880's more like the 990's, so no mesh and the felt bit has been removed (badly). 
So, given that I can't fix the rattle (sounds like the driver is knackered) I want to know what to replace the DT880's with. Thing is, I haven't really been listening to the 880's, so I don't know if simply replacing them will actually cut the mustard, or even if the 250 ohm ones are the right ones to start with or ought I get the 990's or something different?

I need help!! 

I am willing to spend £250 and I admit that I am not a headphone expert but I do know what kind of sound I like, at least in hi-fi terms. Fast pacey detailed and rhythmic, so I'd buy Cyrus and Naim over Arcam or NAD any day of the week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Russell

DT880 is still my favourite headphone by far.  Just get another DT880 250ohm and be happy about it.  If you like a bit more (exaggerated) bass, go with the DT990.  Both are great headphones. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Kevin,

Looking at your sig, it looks like you have the DT880's, AD900's and Grado 225's - what can you tell me on their respective abilities? I assume that you use different cans for different types of listening?? 

I must say that I have not considered the 225's on the grounds that when I have seen them in the flesh they feel more than a little rickety. The 325's are £310 so out of my budget.

OK.  :)  The SR225i's are the most fun.  I truly love their bass, and while they're a bit bright stock, I use mine with comfies that mellows out the treble somewhat, but still retains their "Grado-ness".

DT880's: I really like these too.  Quite comfortable.  The bass is a little bloomy vs the Grados, I think but it balances nicely with the warm, extended treble.  If Grado is the "rock" headphone, then the DT880's are its more serious and sophisticated bigger brother.

AD900's: These could use a hair more bass, but they have a really nice midrange and treble.  IMO, the AD900 "fixes" the recessed mids that the AD700's have.

I use Grado HF2's almost exclusively at work, so the SR225i's get the bulk of the listening at home too, but the others are nice alternatives.  I'll also give a nod to the AKG K240S (Mk II) and the Sextett.  Love the Sextetts I have, but for someone that doesn't want to by used with the dice roll that that can be, I feel the K240S (Mk II) comes darn close, and IMO clearly outshine the likes of the K501/601/701.  Very underrated here I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back