Strange ATH-M50s Comfort Problem
Jul 27, 2011 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Player1josh46

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so when i first got the m50s i felt that they felt pretty comfortable except for the fact that my right ear felt a little fatigued after a little while. I heard about the foam removal mod and tried it out and liked that the sound was more clear and detailed. Unfortunately, I could feel my right ear touching the driver which became very annoying. Oddly enough my left ear never felt any discomfort and I felt that it fit the earpad perfectly. I stretched out the headband which reduced the clamping force and made it more comfy but i could still feel my right ear touching the driver. Again, my left ear has never had this problem and i did the mod on both. Here's to note though: one of my earpads is slightly more oval shaped(left ear) than the other(right ear) for some reason which i think might be due to sweat and cracking but regardless that doesn't matter b/c even when i switched the pads to each driver i could still feel my right ear touching the driver. Now i heard about jerg's electrical tape mod and tried it. My right ear no longer touched the driver but it made the pads themselves discomforting. So after all of this what should I do? The problem isn't massive but think about it like this: When I tilt my head to the left i can feel the driver weighing in on my right ear but when I tilt my head to the right i cant even sense the left driver touching my left ear. I don't think the drivers are the problem either b/c they are both exactly the same proportions. Any ideas what to do?

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
OK, so when i first got the m50s i felt that they felt pretty comfortable except for the fact that my right ear felt a little fatigued after a little while. I heard about the foam removal mod and tried it out and liked that the sound was more clear and detailed. Unfortunately, I could feel my right ear touching the driver which became very annoying. Oddly enough my left ear never felt any discomfort and I felt that it fit the earpad perfectly. I stretched out the headband which reduced the clamping force and made it more comfy but i could still feel my right ear touching the driver. Again, my left ear has never had this problem and i did the mod on both. Here's to note though: one of my earpads is slightly more oval shaped(left ear) than the other(right ear) for some reason which i think might be due to sweat and cracking but regardless that doesn't matter b/c even when i switched the pads to each driver i could still feel my right ear touching the driver. Now i heard about jerg's electrical tape mod and tried it. My right ear no longer touched the driver but it made the pads themselves discomforting. So after all of this what should I do? The problem isn't massive but think about it like this: When I tilt my head to the left i can feel the driver weighing in on my right ear but when I tilt my head to the right i cant even sense the left driver touching my left ear. I don't think the drivers are the problem either b/c they are both exactly the same proportions. Any ideas what to do?

Here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562891/request-custom-earpad-tutorial-for-fullsized-cans

Your right ear, like mine, has probably been damaged. I took a bad swing to mine

Best possible solution it to make your own pads. You can space them as much as you need and make them as soft as possible.

Other case is to get different cans.

HD598, HD558 have pads that are spaced far enough away so that if your ears down shoot out of you head, they won't touch the headphone.

I get the feeling with my MDR-V6.
I can be taking samples and sliding them off and on. Then is I take a bit of time to wear them after that, I get pain

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562891/request-custom-earpad-tutorial-for-fullsized-cans

Your right ear, like mine, has probably been damaged. I took a bad swing to mine

Best possible solution it to make your own pads. You can space them as much as you need and make them as soft as possible.

Other case is to get different cans.

HD598, HD558 have pads that are spaced far enough away so that if your ears down shoot out of you head, they won't touch the headphone.

I get the feeling with my MDR-V6.
I can be taking samples and sliding them off and on. Then is I take a bit of time to wear them after that, I get pain

Thanks for the suggestion, but frankly I have no skills in sewing and doing something that complex. My right ear has never had any problems and when i had the foam pad on i couldnt feel the driver only after the mod did i feel it. I tried my friend's beats studios and both my ears didn't have any issues.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but frankly I have no skills in sewing and doing something that complex. My right ear has never had any problems and when i had the foam pad on i couldnt feel the driver only after the mod did i feel it. I tried my friend's beats studios and both my ears didn't have any issues.

Then add more foam where your ear contacts

other then that you can't do anything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back