Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #151 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I'm bumping this thread to inform few members. There has been lots of this going on lately.

Thanks to the OP and the bump, as a new Head-Fi'er I came here seeking guidance when I wanted to upgrade some of my gear and found myself a little overwhelmed and eventually confused by the sheer number of conflicting views and recommendations but such is the subjective nature of this hobby.

Eventually I started culling,

The pushers recommending the same product at every chance possible.

The serial bashers.

The parrots that appeared to merely mimic the sentiment of others.

The one liners that offered no reason for their opinions.

The social members with huge numbers of posts in relatively short periods of time.

The glutens appearing to own and have an opinions on everything.

Eventually I was able to make my decisions based the shared knowledge of passionate and experienced audiophiles who were able to reinforce their comments with facts and hands on comparisons. Thanks to their guidance my three modest purchases in the last few months have not disappointed.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #153 of 316
I think this thread deserves another bump, as there are a couple of members going around doing just this: recommending gear they've never heard.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #154 of 316
HD800 is the worst headphone I've ever owned.
ph34r.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #155 of 316
Even first hand recommendations and opinions shoud be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps especially so. It's all subjective at the end of the day...

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #156 of 316
At least you can get something out of a subjective assessment. If the person has no first-hand experience, then their comments are worse than just a waste of time.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #157 of 316
How about those commenting negatively on stuff they haven't heard (base on spec. or whatever)? Should they refrain?
I still think speculation is healthy, and false pretense just isn't cool.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #159 of 316
Recommending him/her to look into product X is fine I guess?
Cause in the end its all down to your preferences, matching gear, and set of ears...

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #160 of 316
Being new to HF it becomes very apparent there are some members with very strong opinions on certain things. Also after reading numerous threads it seems that not everyone with an opinion has basis for these opinions.

When i research gear on head-fi i try to look for those who seem to have ownership experience, cos often times impressions are misleading.

But i think it is illogical to post about anything you have never heard especially with something as subjective as sound.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #161 of 316
Skullcandy GI sux.
Ive never heard them, but they do!

biggrin.gif
yuk yuk yuk!

popcorn.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #162 of 316
Don't recommend gear that you haven't heard, read the OP's posts and use common sense. I find it amazing when someone sets a budget, it's usually only a handful of posts before people are urging them to spend more.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #163 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about those commenting negatively on stuff they haven't heard (base on spec. or whatever)?

Should they refrain?

i think they should.

it is one thing to look at specs of a piece of gear, form a preliminary opinion about how it will sound, and then to actually listen to the gear to either reinforce or change this opinion before posting authoritatively about it (this not the norm though); but it is quite another to glance at some specs and summarily conclude, without ever having listened to it, that the gear in question will sound awful (or good). the latter to me is unacceptable, happens as a matter of course, and is just plain not helpful to the community.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #164 of 316
I agree. People should not recommend OR recommend against gear they haven't heard.

"If you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion"!

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #165 of 316
Thanks for the bump; lately I've been seeing more and more members, esp. those who joined within the last three months, who recommend 'phones or equipment and say stuff like:
  1. I've read/heard that...
  2. I don't have them/these/those, but...
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back