Stinky Grado 325is !
Sep 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BIG Dave

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of used Grado 325is phones (paid about half off retail!). The downside is they were owned by someone that used a lot of cheap cologne, or perhaps real strong smelling shampoo! The smell seems to be coming from the foam ear pads and the tranducers. I removed the pads, soaked them in warm soapy water, dried them out and they still smell. I know I could just buy new pads and call it a day. My real concern is how to get the smell out of the tranducers? Any ideas? Thank you.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 20
After washing the pads with liquid soap in lukewarm water, rinse them well and allow to air dry. Then place the entire unit in a plastic box with a box of baking soda, close the plastic box and allow to sit unmoved (to prevent the soda powder from getting into the drivers) for a couple of days.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Please include this fact in the seller's feedback thread.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please include this fact in the seller's feedback thread.

No, this was a local Craigslist deal. I checked them out before paying, I just didn't notice it as we were outside at the time. Nothing against the seller, he is probably immune to the smell...
icon10.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 20
I'd also recommend washing the pads several more times with soap and hot water. Wipe down everything else with a damp cloth. Eventually, the smell will dissapate.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After washing the pads with liquid soap in lukewarm water, rinse them well and allow to air dry. Then place the entire unit in a plastic box with a box of baking soda, close the plastic box and allow to sit unmoved (to prevent the soda powder from getting into the drivers) for a couple of days.

This sounds like great advice. I would try this.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 20
You have to know what and where the scent is. If you know that it's cologne, then there are several things you can do.

For the pads, you can hand wash it several times, or you can throw them in the laundry. If the scent is also on the headphones themselves, then it's a bit tricky. Oils in cologne dissolve readily in alcohol, so you can try a q-tip with rubbing alcohol. Just make sure the tip isn't drenched with solution when you rub it against the casing or you'll get alcohol on the drivers.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Sounds like the best advice. Backing Soda will definitely remove the odour. Or you can use charcoal. The stores sell charcoal odour removers in a little plastic container about the same size as a small tub of margarine. Just pop the lid off, put in in a sealed container with the cans and leave it as long as necessary replacing either the baking soda or charcoal as required until the odour is gone. Unfortunealtey it won't remove the 325s harsh treble!

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 20
Put it out in the sunshine to dry, that helps a lot. Drying it off indoors won't get rid of as much bateria/stink as compared to the sunny outdoors.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Get the refrigerator box of baking soda. So long as you don't play football with it, it won't leak out. Then you can use it in the Refrigerator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back