Still not satisfied at all
Jun 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
How many caps have u tried with your LOD yet? What brands basically? Please do tell.
The main problem with me is that, my experience with this amp, the Mini^3 is minimal. I don't know the amp's signature very well. Its like, changing caps in the LODs makes a day and night difference, and i can't make out what my amp really sounds like.that is making the situation all very difficult. Mouser ships to india at 40USD, more than evn the caps would cost.lets see if Parts Conextion fits it right.

And hey, without starting a new thread, whats the lowest cost for a brand new pair of CK10s? I was thinking of getting the Sennheise HD25 1 ii, but if i can get the CK10s for 200-250 USD, then i am going to go for the CK10s.

Can't remember the total number, but I must have tried close to ten different caps, including some Panasonic (which are all bad), different Nichicon (VS isn't too bad, but not as good as ES), the infamous BlackGate NX Hi-Q (too dark for me), and the OxiCap+Wima combo (brightest of them all). Yes, Mouser shipping is that expensive. Part Connextion is much more reasonable but you need to order to the minimum.

Have no idea about the CK10.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 39
Why don't you have the RE0's recabled instead? Try to find someone in your area who does recables.

We have two guys who recable here so we're lucky but if you can, that would probably solve your problems. The recable may change the sound too, though.

Recabled UE MF200:

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #18 of 39
@ClieOS What was exactly bad with the Panasonics? i've ordered the Panasonic FC series caps.
also, as u said the Blackgates are dark, would they be any good to me because i've got a bright setup? if yes, i hope they are not very expensive. also, do u think i should be reading the apple diymod threads/ they also happen to incorporate the caps with basically the same concept.
@Mochan, i sent my broken ones to hear direct already. this time they break, am just going to go for a cable change myself. Ur cable looks nice BTW.
@il1us10n, tried that, i dont feel its my cup of tea.
Regards

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
@ClieOS What was exactly bad with the Panasonics? i've ordered the Panasonic FC series caps.
also, as u said the Blackgates are dark, would they be any good to me because i've got a bright setup? if yes, i hope they are not very expensive. also, do u think i should be reading the apple diymod threads/ they also happen to incorporate the caps with basically the same concept.

Panasonic caps that I have tried are mostly veil, slow and lifeless, even the FC series sounds that way. They are great power caps, but not particularly good for coupling. BlackGate are extremely expensive right now (the NX Hi-Q I used now cost $5 each, probably), I won't recommend them at all. You can get just as good, if not better result from Nichicon or Elna even with expensive shipping.. Do read the diyMod stuff and also the caps orgy thread. Those will help.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:
Hey Guys

I started with Head Fi this year only, with my first purchase being the Head Direct RE0s.
Before that, being a fan of the Apple iPods, but not having a lot of funds, i started looking for other players, and the Sansa Fuze V2 came to my rescue. Having owned the iPod Nano and a Classic 160 gig before, i knew of Rockbox, and sound quality. being a fan of Rockbox too, it came in gluing well together.
The Sansa Fuze V2, rockboxed, and the RE0s sounded great. the pair literally put a smile on my face basically after 200 hours burnin. everything was sounding smooth, and the bass had as much punch as i wanted to.Best 100 bucks i ever spent. Ever. then comes in the tragedy. The Happily ever after feeling died when the cable of the RE0s broke, and i had to return the pair to get a new one. The Dealer says he doesnt have a pair of the 0s, i can get the ZEROs in place. for two days, i read and read and read, and listened to the reviews saying the differences between the 0s and the ZEROs are minute. i never knew that i'd hate how the Vocals on the ZEROs were forward, ahead of the 0s. and that made me hate the ZEROs, literally hate them. till today, i have a problem with this fact that the ZEROs live with. the Vocals being forward, everything else is pushed behind the vocals, and separation suffers. the Vocals don't get much smooth, as on the 0s either.
So i looked for another pair of the 0s, and happily found a pair.
within 2 weeks, as my first pair, the RE0s died again.
the First pair i owned was the v1 and the 2nd one i got was v3, sonically very different
At the moment, i have
Sansa Fuze V2>LOD>Mini^3> RE0s/RE-ZEROs.
and the RE0s broke again. all i am lest with is the RE-ZEROs. listening to them, but i am so frustrated with the SQ. i mean, somethings always wrong, its like the ZEROs get on my nevers, amke me feel bad in my stomach, and this hasn't happened just once, it happens everytime i listen to them, and alas, its all i have.
So what exactly can make me hate the ZEROs so much? does it have something to do with how my ears are? i dont feel like being satisfied AT ALL. i try changing the Capacitor values, but to no avail. Honestly am going frustrated over my setup now.
What do i resort too?

Edit: Bitrate of the library i have, varies from 192kbps to 320kbps, with several albums in FLAC as well. i feel that the 192-320kbps irritate me as well, but to when does it stop? is my setup more resolving, and thats the problem? its fairly more resolving than the Fuze>RE ZEROs or the Sony AWZ E443>RE-ZEROs.

Regards

Well, it sounds to me that you were happy with the RE0 sound, so just sell your RE-ZERO and get another RE0. Problem solved. Now, if you are looking for an alternative with better build quality, that's a different issue. I heard good things about CK10 build quality and that it sounds similar to RE0, so it may be a good IEM for you if you can afford it. But do remember that for the price of CK10, you can buy 3 RE0s. Also, the newest version of RE0 feels more solid to me than the older ones, so Hifiman is definitely working on addressing the build quality issues with these IEMs.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 39
@Pianist, i was thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser HD25 headphones, but am confused now about the CK10s too. do the CK10s cost around 200 USD?
actually, i also see that there are drastic changes in the signatures when the capacitors change on the LOD. so i think i'd be going the Nichicon or Elna way. i hope i get my RE0s back again.
@ClieOS, would the Silmic IIs be fine? plus how much approx are Parts Connextion going to ask for shipping? the option i saw was "Under 100 USD" thats too much. how much did u pay for shipping if u remember?

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:
@Pianist, i was thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser HD25 headphones, but am confused now about the CK10s too. do the CK10s cost around 200 USD?
actually, i also see that there are drastic changes in the signatures when the capacitors change on the LOD. so i think i'd be going the Nichicon or Elna way. i hope i get my RE0s back again.
@ClieOS, would the Silmic IIs be fine? plus how much approx are Parts Connextion going to ask for shipping? the option i saw was "Under 100 USD" thats too much. how much did u pay for shipping if u remember?

I haven't heard CK10, so can't help you with those, but I did hear the HD25-1 and in my opinion RE0 sounds quite a bit superior to HD25-1. RE0 is smoother, more even and extended in the highs and lows, is more resolving, has a more airy, open sound and is of course much more portable, not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper. HD25-1 is built like tank though, so if build quality is your primary concern, then HD25-1 may be worth it over RE0. But if you care about sound quality a lot too, I would rather buy 2 RE0s.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 39
Are the RE0s better then the HD25s when the HD25s are not amped/amped? or does amping change anything about them?

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:
Are the RE0s better then the HD25s when the HD25s are not amped/amped? or does amping change anything about them?

From my experience, RE0 scales better with amping than HD25 and when both are amped, I think RE0 is much better sounding than HD25 - in another league really. HD25 is very good, but it's not hi-fi like RE0. Unamped - well it depends on your source. Out of something very weak like the Clip, I don't think either sounds particularly awesome, but I still prefer RE0. I think RE0 is just a higher fidelity headphone. It resolves more detail than HD25, is better extended and more transparent. Amping only magnifies these differences, but unamped it's still very apparent.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #25 of 39

Quote:

I haven't tried Elna. I don't remember how much shipping I paid last time, but it is definitely cheaper than the shipping I paid for Mouser.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 39
@ClieOS, do u think the Panasonic FC Would be any good bypassed with the Wimas? its going to take me some time to get the Nichicons, till that time, i would have to do with Panasonics or Vishays bypassed only.

I am waiting for my RE0s to be replaced, next time the cable breaks, i'd go for a recable.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #28 of 39
I have no confidence for Panasonic caps on coupling, so I won't personally want to try it since I can get better caps. It is all up to you.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
@ClieOS, do u think the Panasonic FC Would be any good bypassed with the Wimas? its going to take me some time to get the Nichicons, till that time, i would have to do with Panasonics or Vishays bypassed only.

I am waiting for my RE0s to be replaced, next time the cable breaks, i'd go for a recable.

Careful with the bypassing. Higher value isn't better. I've generally found 200-1 is good starting point but prefer a good cap without a bypass. Sometimes space or availability requires otherwise. BiPolars may not be necessary here. You can try a polar with + at the DAP (source) end and see. Can't hurt anything. While it's worth finding a complimentary combo, if you're using values that allow low frequency extension, I suspect that you may just never like the ZEROs as much as the REOs but it's certainly worth some experiments. There certainly can be complimentary sigs both good and bad with coupling caps. I'd also try one of the Fuzes stock softwares that ends with .28. A bit on the smooth side but I think it's pretty natural and unhashy. Unfortunately, it may not be one with a Rockbox compatible build but you can always revert.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 39
@ClieOS, but what do u so dislike about the panasonics?
@goodvibes, what does it mean by .28.? so basically what u r saying if, if i am trying capacitor values that extend the highs, its not going to sound too good with the RE-ZEROs, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back