STEPS 1.2 ?
May 2, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
It's the consequence of these two issues acting together that I'm talking about.

When you replace the regulation section of a STEPS with a Jung regulator, two things happen. First, you add some more parts. These truly aren't all that much more expensive; $10 at most. But second, you have to make the board bigger, which is more expensive by itself, and it also requires a bigger, more expensive case.

There's a third cost inflator, as well. I wasn't kidding when I said "five people" above. That's honestly how many people (plus or minus) have told me they were interested since I began soliciting comment in my PSU tests article. As a result, if I did make these boards, it would have to be a short run, which would probably drive up the cost to $25 per board.

The size of a Jung regulator doesn't have to be too big, my JSR03 board is 57 x 37 mm and it can be made slightly more compact. So take this measures and take it times two. Heatsinks are not included but the case can be used for that.
Picture of the JSR03 regulator here.

May 2, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #62 of 75
Quote:

How much can you read on your DVM?

Coupled with an LNMP, I can easily read down into the single-digit microvolts. That's my main point: measuring with an unsupplemented DMM doesn't prove much, when you're expecting signals down in the microvolts.

Quote:

When it is only to get some better thechnical messurements than I am not sure it is worth it for me.

I'm sure a lot of people feel like you do: in favor of the Jung regulator in theory, but when it comes down to counting the cost, there has to be a benefit. And I can't help you there: I don't give subjective reviews my own equipment. That's necessarily someone else's job.

Quote:

Why don't make a Jung regulator and test the interest afterwords?

Because it's expensive to fail.

Quote:

my JSR03 board is 57 x 37 mm

The regulation section of my YJPS is probably on that same order of size as well. But individual6891 is right: the market for regulator-only boards is saturated already.

May 2, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #63 of 75
The picture of your STEPS noise is not complete (I can see only half of it). Some trouble on my side or yours? EDIT: Problem is on my side...

Just curoius, what bandwidth did you use for the ocsilloscope pictures? Sometimes it can be an idea to limit the bandwidth if you have a 100 MHz oscilloscope or more.

May 2, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
The regulation section of my YJPS is probably on that same order of size as well. But individual6891 is right: the market for regulator-only boards is saturated already.

True, but how many are providing the details building instruction, FAQ, part selection list/link, supply hard to get parts.....

May 3, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #65 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders
what bandwidth did you use for the ocsilloscope pictures?

The LNMP's bandwidth is limited by a 1-pole low-pass filter, with an fc somewhere around 100 kHz.

May 3, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #66 of 75
OK, but I'll recommend you to push 20 MHz BW button if you have got a such on your oscillocope. It's very possible that you will pick up HF noise. My 100 MHz oscillsocope can pick up FM radio at 100 MHz.

One way to determine the fact is just to push and push again and see the difference in fatness of the curve.

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #67 of 75
I am planning on mounting a STEPS and TREADS in one case, configure the STEPs to 27VDC and configure the TREADs to share the secondary of the STEPS' onboard transformer to product 12VDC.

First of all, is this possible and if so, how would this be wired?

Would I connect at the STEPS transformer’s pin 12 and to STEPS board’s ground?

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #68 of 75
why not just configure the steps so that the LED position gives 12v with the appropriate resistor?

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #69 of 75
Because to work out Voltage, you need the V-drop and Current and you hit a hard wall when Current varies

Jaypetermen - best approach in configuring yours is to run the TREAD off the STEPS, you will be dropping 15V here and it will get mighty hot and you don’t want to make it anymore than needed

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #70 of 75
It is indeed better to make the TREAD a secondary regulator, if you can get away with it. You simply leave out the diode bridge, and optionally also C5. But, this will not work in all circumstances. What is it you are trying to power with this dual-voltage scheme?

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #71 of 75
A T-amp, if I opt not to use a battery. I would also be powering a Millit-Hybrid at 27VDC with the STEPS also.

Can the STEPS/THREADS combo power both with the stock transformer?

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #72 of 75
If you're trying to power two audio circuits from one supply, and those circuits will be connected together (i.e. with audio cables) you almost certainly need two separate power supplies. Otherwise, there will be problems when the grounds meet.

As to your question about the transformer, I have no idea. But the rule of thumb is pretty simple: the transformer shouldn't be more than about 80% loaded. You'll have to find out how much current those circuits draw, and then pick a transformer that is rated for 120% output current or more.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #73 of 75
Would it be fine if I use C2 0.0027uF (digikey P10993) instead of 0.0022uF?

Thanks for help!

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by qkizz
Would it be fine if I use C2 0.0027uF (digikey P10993) instead of 0.0022uF?

Thanks for help!

Yes, I use it on mine because 0.0022 is out of stock.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #75 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Yes, I use it on mine because 0.0022 is out of stock.

Thanks JahJahBinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back