STEPS 1.2 ?
Mar 24, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

I mean it's still full functional for 240V countries right?

Yes, it works just fine on higher voltages. The thing is, I was just recently made aware of a European regulation that says that the primary side of the supply has to be at least 8mm away from anything on the secondary side. Near the filter choke in v1.0, this is not the case.

I seriously doubt that that ~4mm gap in v1.0 is a problem in actual practice. This regulation comes from the same people that outlawed banana jacks on power amps, just because someone could stick a fork into there and electrocute themselves. Me, I'm a believer in rapid-action Darwinism.
tongue.gif

But that's just my personal opinion. Fighting that fight is more than I'm willing to take on, so I won't sell v1.0 boards to Europeans any more. Any of you Europeans have a problem with this, take it up with your EU reps.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 75
Any concerns with installing two TEPS 1.2 power supplies in the same enclosure? Problems like interference, heat, clearances, sharing same AC line input, etc.

The enclosure will measure 6W x 8D x 2.5H and be made out of aluminum (Option A form Par-Metals M3 Enclosure Group Buy.)

One TEPS will be configured to run a M3 (24VDC +) and the other a DAC (12VDC). The DAC may be the Scott Nixon TubeDAC.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 75
Jaypetermen, two STEPS boards at 4" deep each might not actually fit into an 8" enclosure. Even if it fits there probably wouln't be enough clearance for IEC power entry module, DC power jacks, fuses, power switch, on the front and rear panels.

Other than that, electrically there should be no problem doing what you want. As for heat, as long as you select the proper power transformer, so that there isn't excessive voltage drop across the regulators, then the regulators won't run too hot.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 75
It'll be a ridiculously tight squeeze, and you'll have to leave room for power connectors..

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
This regulation comes from the same people that outlawed banana jacks on power amps, just because someone could stick a fork into there and electrocute themselves. Me, I'm a believer in rapid-action Darwinism.
tongue.gif

Tangent, it's actually because the 3/4" spacing of the terminals might tempt some idiot into using regular mains plugs for speaker connections (EU mains plugs fit right in). Imagine what would/could happen if you made speaker cables with male mains plugs in both ends
eek.gif
To me, feeding an amplifier 230VAC from the "wrong end" seems a pretty sure way of letting all the magic smoke out of the amp in a great big hurry
rolleyes.gif

And, while I generally agree on your views of "instant Darwinism", I normally prefer to see the consequences restricted to the idiot responsible - not children or random houseguests
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: While working in retail sales, I've actually seen at least on amp which had died of exactly the above reason (extreme stupidity on the part of the owner
wink.gif
). We told him not to bother sending it in for repair
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 75
Tis a shame the STEPS1.0 is only available over the pond, they are a bit cheaper
wink.gif
Though I guess you can't put a price on safety when it comes to mains.

Just a little offtopic: Will the cerafines be available again soon? Was very random to see a small dosage off them available from the site
600smile.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #23 of 75
STEPS 1.0 similarly configured will cost more the 1.2, look carefully at the release notes . The board is $4 cheaper for 1.0 but the cost of parts is $10 less for 1.1 and 1.2. At least that's the way I read it.

HTH,

Nate

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 75
A slightly smaller choke is certainly not $10 less.. maybe a few pence(/cents)

The ability to fit a larger range of mains caps also doesn't mean much cost saving. I mean it's not difficult finding caps that match the spacing for the same cost as larger sized caps.

Increased cap range may lead to a small saving, but this is just countered by the fact you have to buy a fuse and fuse clip (though you could jumper it if you want?).

I still can't see where $10 comes from..

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 75
I guess tangent is the one to ask about this. I trust that he's done his parts research and that the numbers posted are correct but I'm only relaying information. I've built a couple of steps V1.0's and his pricing estimate was right on which further influenced my backing of his statement.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 75
Quote:

Will the cerafines be available again soon?

Read the shop page a little more closely.

Quote:

The board is $4 cheaper for 1.0 but the cost of parts is $10 less for 1.1 and 1.2.

True, except that v1.2 can be even cheaper than v1.1, since it lets you use smaller transformers, if you don't need a 15VA unit. That's good for another $5 or so, if you can get down to a 5VA unit.

Quote:

I still can't see where $10 comes from..

There's about $7 savings just in the filter choke; a ~$2.50 16M choke is still helpful, whereas the ~$9.50 one you had to use in v1.0 was probably overkill. You can squeeze about $1 out by using a regular IEC socket and fuse clips instead of the Qualtek or Schurter ones with integrated fuse holders I recommend as the default choice. And finally, the newer boards are $2 cheaper than v1.0 was before I dropped the price. That's for v1.1. There's also the transformer advantage I mentioned above for v1.2.

Oh, bugger, there goes v1.0 demand.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Read the shop page a little more closely.

I mean the 220uF/35V
wink.gif
.. Don't worry, I still have eyes - just not much clarity
600smile.gif

Quote:

There's about $7 savings just in the filter choke; a ~$2.50 16M choke is still helpful, whereas the ~$9.50 one you had to use in v1.0 was probably overkill.

Ok maybe it's just a europe thing then.. The difference between the v1.0 and v1.2 choke really is just a few pence. They are made by Schaffner EH/EV Series, "Common mode suppression chokes".

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

I mean the 220uF/35V

In that case, no, they won't be coming back soon. I have to order 2000 at a time, and they were going way too slowly for me to hold that many. I just had a hundred or so left over from a group buy a few years ago. No wonder they went slowly: they cost more than the 470s and have lower capacity! And, few really need more than 25V tolerance.

Quote:

The difference between the v1.0 and v1.2 choke really is just a few pence.

Damn, those are cheap! The only Schaffner chokes I can find from the majors here in the US are the RN series.

Thanks for letting me know about these. I'll mention them in the STEPS docs.

Mar 26, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

the RN series

Hm, looks like the RN214 may fit in the new boards. Newark carries a few of these. They're cheaper than the Panasonics, but unfortunately there's not much other incentive to shop at Newark for STEPS parts. Now if they carried the Amveco transformers....

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Damn, those are cheap! The only Schaffner chokes I can find from the majors here in the US are the RN series.

Thanks for letting me know about these. I'll mention them in the STEPS docs.

I spent ages searching for the panasonics in europe.. and then these popped up one day at our local distributor. Rapid are probably the cheapest distributors in the uk, much less than RS but with a smaller range of parts, still though they can supply about 90% of the parts Euro's need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back