Step-up from ATH-M50
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phallan

New Head-Fier
Hey! I've had my M50's for a while now - I use them to listen to music as I go to and from places by bus and train, plugging them into my iPhone 5 or my iPod Classic 120Gb. - and I was wondering what would be a step-up from these amazing cans in as many aspects as possible. Obviously it would be dumb to think there's a pair of cans better in every single way.

So, what would be a step-up from the Audio Technica M50 in audio quality, build quality, portability, sound isolation, noise cancelling etc.

Sincerely
Sebastian

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hey! I've had my M50's for a while now - I use them to listen to music as I go to and from places by bus and train, plugging them into my iPhone 5 or my iPod Classic 120Gb. - and I was wondering what would be a step-up from these amazing cans in as many aspects as possible. Obviously it would be dumb to think there's a pair of cans better in every single way.

So, what would be a step-up from the Audio Technica M50 in audio quality, build quality, portability, sound isolation, noise cancelling etc.

Sincerely
Sebastian

Heya,

Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads.

Very best,

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 10
I thought the akg k167 were a huge step up to the ath m50 especially in terms of bass (much more depth, and I was using the akg k167 through my laptop soundcard vs my athm50s  connected to the pa2v2-l9 (line out)- to my iphone 4s.

Only "negative" in comparison was that the akg k167's didn't feel as strong and it was entirely plastic (high end though). I preferred the sound quality alot of the akg k167s.

of course, the akg drivers needed to be burned in a bit IMO. the 2nd day using them was so much better than the first (2nd day i had burned them in overnight to a playlist)

I think they're better for portable use compared to the straight cable (which is really long) of the ath m50s. (it's coiled for the k167s).

It's $50 more, but the improvement was really noticable.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 10
I had the K167's before the M50s and I didn't like them at all. 

I bought the m50 to compare them and I ended up sending the k167's back even though they were both burned in properly to make the sound better.

To me, it seems they're too heavy to drive with phone/ipod alone. As they didn't put out anywhere near the volume I'd prefer. Where toe M50's did.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I had the K167's before the M50s and I didn't like them at all. 

I bought the m50 to compare them and I ended up sending the k167's back even though they were both burned in properly to make the sound better.

To me, it seems they're too heavy to drive with phone/ipod alone. As they didn't put out anywhere near the volume I'd prefer. Where toe M50's did.

I actually noticed that too, I had hard time using them with my pa2v2 (just came out really distorted couldn't tell if it was an impedance issue or the akg just bringing out the ****ty qualities of may laptop soundcard, but it sounded better without the mixamp so i was confused), that's when i ended up investing in an E17.

but when they were driven correctly, I did think they were noticably better. for portable use, I guess a portable amp might be necessary.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 10
a small amp like an E11 is not going to make any significant difference with an Ipod classic from a portablity standpoint.  It will however improve the sound by a great amount if you use a line out.  I would take this step to get the most out of the M50 before buying another headphone.   

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I agree with Hoagie. I use the M50 with an iPod Classic and the Fiio 11. It's a cheap and very good upgrade.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 10
The Fiio is very portable, good build quality with a nice volume knob. I always use it with the M50. 

Still, like you, I wonder what the upgrade from the M50 would be when they are worn down. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Buy a JDS labs cmoy

It pairs VERY well with the M50. I live in downtown Chicago and have no problem carrying my classic and the cmoy banded together in a jacket pocket.

I would recommend a line out as well. Not worth it in my opinion without one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back