Stello U3: async USB to coax & AES/EBU transport <Impressions updated>
Oct 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #166 of 279
Quote:

Yeah, well even with that schematic, I wouldn't know exactly how to go about converting my Lacie cable (not a diyer at all).  The only other option would be to spend big bucks on a ready-made one, but that's outta the question.

Thanks anyway..
normal_smile .gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #167 of 279
The Lacie can't be pimped IME(and I tried a few things), its shielding scheme is cigarette paper-thin(it costs $4) and it's a miracle it even sounds so good stock.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #169 of 279
Quote:
I might eventually have to get one to try with the V-Link 192 I have on order (uses the XMOS chip, too). It looks incredibly cheap, but its ripple spec beats what Kingwa claims his PSU will do and that's really what matters.

Any impressions on AQVOX USB POWER Suppy? just condsidering should i buy this for stello u3 once i get one :p , my usb cable from pc to u3 will be also 5m, plus computers 5v from usb is not very stable and clean i guess, thus AQVOX power supply should improve something... ?!

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #170 of 279
Quote:
I recently received STELLO U3 connected with Wireworld Ultraviolet USB and MIT RCA Digital Reference to the Bryston DAC BDA1
trasfer data: Netbook i3 380M Win 7 64bit Fidelizer WASAPI Sox 4x, Sonnox VST for "micro" audio balance to my room (-3dB max adjustment).

Increeedible sound, very very realistic !

Step II
I'm waiting for USB 2.0 adaptor A male, B male and Apogee Wide Eye AES/EBU for setup comparison.

Step III
I want to try O.S. Voyager MPD.
but... I do not know how to get started without problems...

Advice, are welcome !

Joy!

Very easy

Here is my Stello U3 mpd.conf alsa section on a dedicated GoFlex Net running Archlinux ARM.

audio_output {
    type                "alsa"
    name                "April Music Stello U3"
    auto_resample       "no"
    device              "cards.pcm.iec958"              #device         "hw:0,0"

mixer_type          "hardware"
    mixer_device        "hw:0"
    mixer_control       "XMOS Clock Selector"
    mixer_index         "1"
}

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #171 of 279
Quote:
Hmm, so what cable did you end up pimping? 
tongue_smile.gif

Oops, sorry for the late reply as I've got two main hobbies and was too busy messing with videoprojectors and colorimetry to find the time to post more details about USB PSU's.

I'll be writing a review in the next coming days that you'll find to your taste
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #172 of 279
Quote:
BTW, all those XMOS units share the same windows driver and some companies release fresher releases than others...I'm currently running the DacMagic+ 1.43.3 drivers: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/support_products.php?PID=872&Title=Support

You can get vanilla 1.43 drivers here: http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/service/downloads/usb-drivers/

All you need to do is adding the U3 ID's to the "Models sections" of both .inf files, et voilà! I can provide instructions if anyone needs.

There's also another maker providing a XMOS firmware, but it doesn't have the same binary size as the U3, so I'd rather not link to it. PM me if you feel adventurous ^^

Hi, could  you post link to corrected 1.43 drivers here? Thanks

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #174 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mock-up /img/forum/go_quote.gif

could you post link to corrected 1.43 drivers

I do not wish to distribute modified binaries, but you can find all the instructions required to do it yourself in a matter of seconds here.

You can read about the improvements from 1.22 to 1.43 there. Sadly we can't use any driver revision newer than 1.44 because this would require a new updated firmware that April Music doesn't provide, so we're stuck to 1.43....which at least support 32bit transparent ASIO(since 1.33), which the 1.22 do not. 1.43 sounds wunderbar in foobar IME 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #175 of 279
I once again e-mailed to Stello asking if they're going to release driver update any time soon. Their last answer is from September 2012 and then they said 

"We will release the latest version soon.
We are now still test and check with U3 the updated driver from Thesycon in UK.
Please standby."

I'll report here when they reply.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #176 of 279
Well, their website says that they are currently at the CES and the DacMagic+ is also stuck to 1.43 so no big deal. Many other XMOS interfaces are also stuck to 1.22(such as Anedio's) but it would indeed be great if they could release an updated firmware at some point.

The icing on the cake would be a DP1 firmware that wouldn't reenable upsampling whenever you turn the unit back on, but I'm afraid that only the U3 firmware can be updated.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #177 of 279
Quote:
Well, their website says that they are currently at the CES and the DacMagic+ is also stuck to 1.43 so no big deal. Many other XMOS interfaces are also stuck to 1.22(such as Anedio's) but it would indeed be great if they could release an updated firmware at some point.

The icing on the cake would be a DP1 firmware that wouldn't reenable upsampling whenever you turn the unit back on, but I'm afraid that only the U3 firmware can be updated.

Always the same answer but nothing happens:

"[size=small]Thank you for this information.[/size]
[size=x-small]OK, well noted.[/size]
[size=x-small]We will release asap the new driver once we finish compatibility test with current U3 hardware.[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks,[/size]
[size=x-small]Thomas"[/size]

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #178 of 279
OK, well, I guess it will happen someday in the future and the 1.43 drivers hit the spot anyway.

Time is on my side, as +1 year later I'm still utterly fond of my DP1 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #180 of 279
Quote:

Oops, sorry for the late reply as I've got two main hobbies and was too busy messing with videoprojectors and colorimetry to find the time to post more details about USB PSU's.

I'll be writing a review in the next coming days that you'll find to your taste
wink_face.gif

No probs.  That said, would be GREAT to do that usb cable-> psu upgrade.  My technical abilities aren't good enough to cobble anything up using that schematic posted on 6 moons many, er, moons ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ages ago, Simon Lee (of April Music) said that a firmware update in Q3 of 2012 would sort that out, but it never happened.  It no longer bothers me though because I keep the unit powered on 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back