Stello U3: async USB to coax & AES/EBU transport <Impressions updated>
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #256 of 279
Hello everyone! I am a new member of this wonderful community of which I have been a long time lurker. 

I want to know how I can update the version 1.22 driver that came with my U3 which is fed by my windows 7 64bit laptop and out to my JH3a/16. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #257 of 279
Quote:
any options for HP compaq?

if that's a laptop, find a linear PSU with the right specs? Otherwise there are many linear ATX PSU's but they're pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethelberht /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how I can update the version 1.22 driver that came with my U3

U3 / DP1 PC USB port Firmware Upgrade
happy_face1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are also people advocating the use of SSD for computer playback. However, software like Audirvana+ boasts of memory playback and all the benefits that could be brought about by the use of SSD are made redundant.

I think it's got more to do with noise pollution of the common computer ground as HDD's are very noisy due to their high speed motor and all.

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #258 of 279
Thank you, leeperry. I was expecting the update to solve my skipping and hiccuping issues. It happens every so often. Is that normal? Can it be completely removed? I am using JRiver 17, output ASIO mode. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #262 of 279
Well, something's hijacking the DPC latency of your system for some reason....is it a laptop? Did you try killing all residents apps such as antivirus and so?

Troubleshooting can be tricky but there's another app that could help: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #263 of 279
Quote:
Well, something's hijacking the DPC latency of your system for some reason....is it a laptop? Did you try killing all residents apps such as antivirus and so?

Troubleshooting can be tricky but there's another app that could help: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Yes, my system is a laptop: Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz, Mobility Radeon HD 4670.

Running LatencyMon, it reported that the highest ISR exe time was ataport.sys -ATAPI Driver extension while the highest DPC routine time was USBPORT.SYS.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #264 of 279
There are so many things to try:
-enable HPET
-update the mobo BIOS and try messing around with power management settings(S3 can be a problem IIRC)
-if you disable all USB hubs in the Windows device manager, no more red bars? If so, troubleshoot until you find the culprit.

Let us know
happy_face1.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #265 of 279
Quote:
There are so many things to try:
-enable HPET
-update the mobo BIOS and try messing around with power management settings(S3 can be a problem IIRC)
-if you disable all USB hubs in the Windows device manager, no more red bars? If so, troubleshoot until you find the culprit.

Let us know
happy_face1.gif

I discovered the culprit: AMD Catalyst Controller. I uninstalled it and voila...audio can be enjoyed again. 
size]

May 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #267 of 279
Quote:
On a side note, I am very very satisfied and happy with the improvement brought about by the iFi iUSB. It really brings the Stello U3 to another league altogether. They will release a dual headed USB cable very soon that the iUSB is designed to work with at much more 'reasonable' price than other such cables, the most famous being the Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SPS.

Hi uelover, what are you using to power this cable? The iFi unit? Were you using a AQVOX before that?

May 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #268 of 279
Quote:

Hi uelover, what are you using to power this cable? The iFi unit? Were you using a AQVOX before that?

That cable has yet to be released in my country. I am using the stock USB cable that came with the iFi iUSB. Wasn't using the AQVOX previously. Is that compatible with USB 2.0 full speed, supporting all the different sampling rates?

May 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #269 of 279
So you  are using the Stello U3 as the usb/spdif converter with the iFi as the dac? Sounds like the the new Gemini y cable and USB power unit would be your best bet.

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

May 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #270 of 279
Quote:
So you  are using the Stello U3 as the usb/spdif converter with the iFi as the dac? Sounds like the the new Gemini y cable and USB power unit would be your best bet.

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

iFi iUSB is NOT a DAC. It is a power regulator that stands between your computer and the Stello U3 (an USB to SPDIF converter) to clean up the power line. The Stello U3 is passively powered by the USB line power so it will benefit from a cleaner power source.

The DAC I use is Benchmark DAC1.

This is the diagram of the iFi iUSB that I posed just a few posts earlier. The I/O ports will tell you how it is supposed to work:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back