Steely Dan
Apr 30, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #31 of 55
Wayne, they're all coming to DVD-Audio.
icon10.gif

Harvest, Stars 'n Bars, On the Beach, Hawks and Doves, Re-ac-tor are already out.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 55
Just saw this thread. I've been a fan since their first few albums and like everything from Can't Buy a Thrill up to Gaucho. I don't care for any of the newer albums/songs. Second Nightly by Donald Fagen though. The early albums really benefited from the various artists that sat in (re: Rick Derringer, Larry Carlton, Dean Parks, etc.). Especially RD.

May 1, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #33 of 55
Katy Lied is my favorite with Countdown to Ecstacy a close second. The lyrics are intriguing and I've never had to worry about interpreting them because the songs are so catchy. I love these guys!

May 1, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
I love Steely Dan too. Does it mean that I'm getting old?
biggrin.gif

Yes, but you never have to grow up.
biggrin.gif

I remember the week "Can't Buy a Thrill" was released and I was an undergraduate. The Dan of Steel provided important soundtrack for a good share of my salad days. The last two albums have demonstrated nicely that the Dan is still alive and kicking, although something still died when Skunk Baxter left for the Doobie Brothers. Since it has not been mentioned yet, Walter Becker's "Eleven Tracks of Whack" from several years ago is quite tasty.

May 2, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #35 of 55
I just got a copy of Goucho on Ebay. I hope this is all as good as you guys say it is. I messed up and didn't bid on a copy of Katy Lied, and that auction ended.
I might try Aja next. I love my Decade of CD and I like the new one Everything Must Go, although not as well as Decade.

Oh, and I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fractus2
The early albums really benefited from the various artists that sat in (re: Rick Derringer, Larry Carlton, Dean Parks, etc.). Especially RD.

While were at it, Steve Gadd on drums on some of Aja.

May 2, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
While were at it, Steve Gadd on drums on some of Aja.

In particular, on the title track, yes. Donald fagen said that he was in awe of gadd coming in and sight reading the whole piece, drum solo, everything. During one section of the solos, you can hear a click. Apparently, gadd clicked his sticks as a gesture to someone in the studio. Too cool.
Gadd - a real life hero and legend.

May 2, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #38 of 55
Same here,

I think there are many Dan fans out there because there
really aren't to many bands that sound like them.
Not to mention the quality they keep producing.

First time I heard them I hated them because to me they missed the qualities
that I like in jazz (and other music). The rawness. After repeated tries by my friends to pursuade me, finally the penny dropped. Never looked back.

What I can't really understand is that most people like the older stuff more.
Agreed artists have their peak, but I still find the new stuf very good.
Green room for instance is a classic in my opinion and wouldn't be misplaced
on any of their older albums.

The Royal Scam is my personal favorite, apart from maybe 'the fez' ,but to me
that's a fun track.
Kid Charlemange is indeed a piece of art.

Anyone know of a band that I should check out, that sounds like them?

Veto

May 2, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #39 of 55
Steely Dan has a special place in my heart. When I was a teenager, my best friend's dad owned a high-end audio shop. He sold the likes of McIntosh, Tandberg, Luxman, etc. My first introduction to good audio was sitting in the sound room, with 'Aja' playing on a Revox linear-tracking, direct-drive turntable, played thru McIntosh tubes. We did that on many a Saturday during high-school, and that has been my reference ever since (memory not withstanding
wink.gif
).

May 2, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #42 of 55
BTW Old Pa,

I thought you where holding a lam there (sort of a pet sounds flashback)
till I noticed it's a dog.

Gotta get me some new glasses instead of a headphone.
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 55
You can pick up 5.1 surround mixes of The Nightfly(dvd-a), Gaucho(dts & sacd), Kamakiriad(dvd-a), Two Against Nature(dvd-a) and Everything Must Go(dvd-a) at Amazon. All the dvd-a discs have a 5.1 dolby and 5.1 dts mix also, so they'll play on any dvd player. There is also a 5.1 dvd of a live performance at Sony Studios in New York where they were preparing to go out on the road for Two Against Nature. That live dvd is called Steely Dans Two Against Nature Plush TV Jazz Party. It has alot of 2.A.N. songs mixed in with classic SD Stuff plus interviews.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
Anyone know of a band that I should check out, that sounds like them?

I think that no other bands come close to that elusive Steely Dan sound, however...
a few years after their break-up after releasing Gaucho, Walter Becker produced albums for two somewhat obscure and now defunct 80's new wave bands that showcased the talents of a few musicians who played on previous SD albums. This included Walter's own guitar, bass and synth contributions along with long-time SD engineer, Roger Nichols. As a result, these bands ended up with that SD sound. Perhaps you can check them out and hear and judge for yourself (if you can find them):

Fra Lippo Lippi - Light and Shade (1987, Virgin Records)
China Crisis - Flaunt the Imperfection (1985, Virgin Records)
China Crisis - Diary of a Hollow Horse (1989, Virgin Records)

Becker also produced three songs from Michael Franks's "Blue Pacific" (1990, Reprise) that I recommend as well, since it is entirely an excellent album.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #45 of 55
I love Steely Dan. I have:

'Can't Buy A Thrill' CD
'Countdown to Ecstacy' CD
'Katy Lied' CD
'Pretzel Logic' CD
'The Royal Scam' LP & CD
'Aja' LP & CD
'Goucho' LP & CD
'Gold' Compilation LP (features the excellent track 'FM'. Really good quality recording too...)
'Reelin' in the Years' Best of, Double LP
'The Nightfly' Donald Fagen LP & CD
'Kamakiriad' Donald Fagen CD
'Two Against Nature' CD

They are one of the very best bands ever! When it comes to song writing and production quality,they're faultless! I love Steve Gadd's drum solo at the end of 'Aja'...

Over the years my favourite Dan albums have shifted. My favourite used to be 'Goucho' (the title track is hilarious), then I loved 'Aja'... It's hard to pick a favourite track from that album, perhaps 'Black Cow'... My current favourite is 'The Royal Scam'... 'Haitian Divorce'.... What a song!

Can't say that their new stuff is anything near is good as their old stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back