Steely Dan
Apr 28, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I think Aja and The Royal Scam are on my To Buy Next list. Aja first, of course.

Good choices, Larry Carlton does some excellent guitar work on both of those albums. Get Katy Lied too. Heck, get them all!

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
I love Steely Dan too. Does it mean that I'm getting old?
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

It means that your heart is staying young
tongue.gif

W

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #18 of 55
Just received my copy of Hifi-Chouice magazine (June issue) and in the "This month's classic Hi-Fi test disc" section there's Steely Dan's Katy Lied
cool.gif
They rate it as "arguably the best Dan album ever".
Damn - it's one of the few SD albums I still have to get. Hope it has been remastered yet.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #20 of 55
My older brother was a big SD fan in the 70s. I grew up listening to Pretzel Logic, Aja, and Gaucho. For some reason, I hated SD until a few years ago. I started getting into the group about the time I got into headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thankfully, my brother took good care of his SD LPs (most on the ABC label) and now I have them. I also bought an original MCA pressing of Gaucho (has Bob Ludwig's initials right next to the 'masterdisk' stamp) at my local record shop.

Pretzel Logic is the best SD album, IMO, followed closely by Aja. Gaucho sounds really great but isn't quite as good as the earlier stuff. I’m listening to my Gaucho LP right now.

blinkJF.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 55
Yes Black Cow is root beer with ice cream scoops......Red Cow (or Pink Cow) is creme soda with ice cream scoops.

Dam it...........why no comments here about sound quality???? I can't think of any other early 1970's rock CDs that sound as good as remasters.
cool.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Dam it...........why no comments here about sound quality???? I can't think of any other early 1970's rock CDs that sound as good as remasters.

I did I did!!!
orphsmile.gif
As I said, I like the fairly recent HDCD remasters but after hearing the SACD remaster of Gaucho, that puts the rest to shame. I CAN'T WAIT until the remaining albums are released in SACD in a couple months! THOSE will be the versions to have!

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #23 of 55
I really didn't care for the Gaucho SACD. I also have a Mofi gold disc (redbook) version of Gaucho and thought it sounded much better. Well, I should say that the Mofi CD sounded less compressed. The SACD was in fact warmer -- but it was almost twice the volume of the Mofi CD! Gaucho is kind of a grainy recording and the SACD almost seemed to emphasize the grain. The Gaucho LP is sooo much smoother.

I also have a 1999 CD remaster or Pretzel Logic and, again, it sounds too compressed to my ears. And the Aja LP is heaven (I’m listening to it right now
biggrin.gif
). Trust me, the LPs sound better.

blinkJF.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 55
Doh!! Well for those without a vinyl LP system. the SACDs will just have to do.
orphsmile.gif
Anyway, I like them!!

Apr 29, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by roll-man
...and of course we all know what a "steely dan" is, right?

STeam driven device I won't mention from The Naked Lunch. If I know that, everyone should.
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I CAN'T WAIT until the remaining albums are released in SACD in a couple months! THOSE will be the versions to have!

Did you have to tell me that right after I ordered 7 discs! Oh well maybe I'll look for vinyl of my favorites.
CPW
Anybody else think Kid Charlemagne is a masterpiece?
I also think Alive in America is one of the best recorded live albums ever. Those guys just have some of the most incredible chops.
One of the few bands who late stuff impresses me as nuch as the stuff from 25 yrs ago.

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I agree Fagen's solo, "The Nightfly" is fantastic. Probably the last great SD album (come on, Fagan is Steely Dan!)

The Nightfly was available from Mobile Fidelity on a OMC vinyl, which is how I was personally introduced to it. A fantastic album, and on the OMC fantastic audio quality to boot. What an album!

But, not his (Fagen's) only solo.

From the sounds of it not many people know about Kamakiriad, his second solo album. Not as good a Nightfly, but Nightfly is a hell of a hard act to follow.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #29 of 55
I just got Everything Must Go.
I'm not a big fan of Steely Dan, I only have A Decade album and now this one.
I was disappointed that it is not HDCD or anything like that. Still the quality recording that I heard on Decade. The pace is a bit slower than I had hoped, but I do like the album.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #30 of 55
Markl, it's nice to hear that all that Dan is coming out on SACD. Another collection to pick up!

Please, please, nobody tell me that Neil Young's solo albulms are coming out on SACD. I've just back filled most of my Neil gaps (and there were a lot of them because I had to replace old vinyl that is long gone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back