Steely Dan
Oct 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
CPW
Anybody else think Kid Charlemagne is a masterpiece?

I just listened to this track, was going to post a similar thread but found this.

I think the guitar solo is Larry Carlton. One of the greatest "constructed" solos ever. It's so good. Then there are are the tasty little fill licks in between verse lines that might even be better than the solo itself. Just one of those things that are so good, it makes you wish you had played it.
CPW

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #48 of 55
Just to let folks know, who are inclined to try recent acolytes emulating the SD sound: - try the later High Llamas albums (last three years).

I'm not as fond of the High Llamas' lyrics as I am of Fagan's but their sound has become remarkably similar. Apparently, the High Llamas started as a Beach Boys emulating band but had a falling out with Mike Love and then moved on to another big aesthetic influence - Steely Dan. Certainly worth a try.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #50 of 55
Great to hear someone advocating The High Llamas, a band that puts out sublime, original pop.

albums to try:  Hawaii  (early, retro but great!)

Can Cladders

Talahomi Way  (their most nuanced, mature, accomplished)

all the above albums are great. Sean O'Hagan is a pop master, I'd put him up there, close to Fagan, McCartney,
Ian Anderson, Yes, and many others

....any other High Llamas fans out there??

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #51 of 55
Green Earing.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #52 of 55

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #53 of 55
I heard Deacon Blues on the radio about a year ago, listened to it a few times on my computer, showed it to a couple family members, and they thought it was terrible.

I forgot about them for about a year until a couple weeks ago when I thought I would give Deacon Blues another listen to see if I still liked it. This time, I didn't hear the happy, jazzy, layered pop that I did before, I heard depth and darkness and pathos. I've been listening to Gaucho and Aja and I'm totally blown away. I haven't fallen for a band this hard for years.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #54 of 55
It's so interesting that you mention "Deacon Blues." It is definitely my favorite cut on Aja and I totally relate to the pathos thing. There's an underlying melancholy to the tune that has always just hit me in my core. Thanks for reminding me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back