Stealth Sonics IEM impressions thread
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #91 of 96
Stealthsonics has updated their FB page, so they are definitely not closed down. Hoping there will be a new universal iem from them.

"
Something new is brewing.
A new offering is coming.
A new age is dawning.
-
We have been quiet lately, busy working away on our new project. Nerding out. Now we are so close to announcing it. Stay tuned and watch this space....."

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #92 of 96
I heard back from the Stealth Sonics boss man that they've been busy focusing on the new release that's been hinted about on their Facebook page.
But it's very much business as usual, phew :sweat_smile:

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #93 of 96
Yeah I noticed my pictures were on the last two facebook post for the C9 Pro :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #94 of 96
And here is my C9 Pro review now up on headfi : Silky Dream!

iem.reviews – In ear monitor reviews by davidmolliere 2020-09-25 11-14-29.png

Due to character limitations here for reviews on HF the select comparisons are missing there contrary to my blog but here they are :

StealhSonics U9
I don’t own the C9 but the U9 should be close enough especially with custom tips. This is an interesting comparison as it’s a coflagship in the StealthSonics lineup. Note that the U9 (and C9) are hybrids with a dynamic driver and 8 balanced armature drivers contrary to the all 9 BA setup for the C9 Pro.

img_2145.jpg

Starting with the bass, U9 is significantly leaner in terms of bass presence compared to the C9 Pro but the two have a very different tuning. The U9 is a reference tuning with reference bass, the mid bass is tight and controlled and very detailed and quite fast for a dynamic. Worth noting, there is more power and rumble in the sub than the C9 Pro, the dynamic driver is definitely helping. The C9 Pro has more slam with a much more prominent bass line and overall much more bass presence.

The U9 mids clearly follow a very different tuning goal than the C9 Pro, with a clear focus on transparency and clarity and the U9 mids are very accurate with spot on timbre. The U9 lower mids are much leaner than the C9 Pro but there is good body nonetheless and similarly to the C9 Pro the upper mids region is safe. There is a bit more bite in the upper mids though and I love the U9 on Jazz. Compared to it’s older brother the C9 Pro is warmer with a pleasing tone that is north of accurate, and features a much fuller bodied and organic presentation that is not at the expanse of articulation which is impressive.

Treble might be where the U9 and C9 Pro are the most similar, with good lower treble sparkle and superb upper treble extension. The difference lies in tone, the U9 again is spot on reference with great accuracy while the C9 Pro has a warm hue that makes its treble sound natural and smooth. Another difference is the faster decay of the U9, with a longer note decay on the C9 Pro. Both the U9 and C9 Pro feature great air and resolution, with the U9 having a slight edge on imaging precision and soundstage by way of its more reference tuning.

Custom Art FIBAE7
The FIBAE7 has long been my favorite IEM, featuring another masterful organic tuning. It is, to me, the benchmark for organic tunings. How does it compare to the C9 Pro? Let’s check out.

img_6319.jpg

The FIBAE7 and C9 Pro have a similar soundstage although the C9 Pro is a bit taller and deeper. The FIBAE7 does feature a snappier presentation with more bite on the attack and a bit quicker note decay. The C9 Pro on the other hand is smoother with a smoother attack making for a more romantic presentation.

The FIBAE7 has significantly more sub bass presence than the C9 Pro. This is very apparent both in Sohn’s “Falling” and Aphex Twin “Ageispolis” where the FIBAE7 provide a more visceral presentation that few balanced armature IEMs are able to convey. The FIBAE7 also feature a snappier attack in the mid bass section, making for more slam factor. On the flipside the C9 Pro has more mid bass emphasis making for a stronger bass line presence. The bass line has quite a bit more power on the C9 Pro with a more textured delivery where the FIBAE7 is tighter and snappier.

The FIBAE7 mids are a bit different from the C9 Pro : while both have an organic tuning the FIBAE7 has more bite in the upper mids there is more crispness in hi hats, toms have much more snap and brass instruments have significantly more bite making the FIBAE7 clearer and snappier than the C9 Pro. On the flipside the C9 Pro features more lower mids presence with a fuller bodied presentation and where the FIBAE7 is overall more neutral natural the C9 Pro is warmer.

Last but not least, the FIBAE7 treble lower treble is a bit more energetic than the C9 Pro with more sparkle, not that the C9 Pro lacks sparkle but it’s a bit less energetic. Both feature nice weight in the lower treble with good note impact, but the C9 Pro delivery is a bit smoother with longer decay. Now upper treble, I hear the C9 Pro having more upper treble presence and while it’s less energetic than the FIBAE7 it has a bit more air and shimmer.

Overall if I had to sump it up, the FIBAE7 is more physical, with overall more energy thanks to the punchier bass, upper mids with more bite and a tad more sparkle in the lower treble. The C9 Pro on the other hand has a stronger rhythmic bass line with richer textures, fuller mids with an overall warmer tone and more delicate lower treble with more air and refinement up top.

Earsonics EM10
The EM10 is the long standing Earsonics 10 BA flagship and for good reason. How does it compare to the C9 Pro?

img_1391.jpg

The EM10 is another organic IEM in my collection and therefore a very interesting comparison to the C9 Pro.

The C9 Pro and EM10 share similarities in terms of bass. Like the C9 Pro, the EM10 feature a clear mid bass emphasis with a prominent bass line and a very satisfying slam. The EM10 is to this day my benchmark on mid bass, as I consider it the best mid bass a BA IEM can provide. Both the EM10 and C9 pro feature a longer than average decay in the mid bass with superb texture but I find the EM10 to be snappier than the C9 Pro with a snappier attack and better control. The EM10 also has significantly more sub bass presence with much better rumble providing additional physicality.

Like the C9 Pro, the EM10 lower mids have significant presence making for a fuller bodied presentation and both have exquisite seamless transition from the bass to the lower mids. I’d say the C9 Pro has a touch more body and is overall warmer than the EM10. Both feature slightly forward vocal placement but the C9 Pro is again sweeter. The upper mids are the clear differentiator : the EM10 has significantly more bite than the C9 Pro there, with more crispness and snap also making for a clearer and more energetic mid presentation where the C9 Pro is ever the refined romantic.

Now on to treble, the EM10 and the C9 Pro both offer a very natural and refined presentation, both offer good treble note weight with the C9 Pro having a bit more there. But again, the EM10 is more energetic with a tad more sparkle as well as a more accurate tone where the C9 Pro has a similarly engaging but more nuanced presentation with a warmer hue. Extension is superb on both and the upper treble is more similar than not, both provide excellent resolution and air.

Overall the EM10 and C9 Pro are two different takes on organic signature : the EM10 is the more energetic with snappier bass with more rumble, full but clearer mids with more bite and a tad more sparkle in the lower treble. The C9 Pro has a more nuanced and smoother delivery with an overall warmer tone and even fuller bodied presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #95 of 96
And here is my C9 Pro review now up on headfi : Silky Dream!

iem.reviews – In ear monitor reviews by davidmolliere 2020-09-25 11-14-29.png

Due to character limitations here for reviews on HF the select comparisons are missing there contrary to my blog but here they are :

StealhSonics U9
I don’t own the C9 but the U9 should be close enough especially with custom tips. This is an interesting comparison as it’s a coflagship in the StealthSonics lineup. Note that the U9 (and C9) are hybrids with a dynamic driver and 8 balanced armature drivers contrary to the all 9 BA setup for the C9 Pro.

img_2145.jpg

Starting with the bass, U9 is significantly leaner in terms of bass presence compared to the C9 Pro but the two have a very different tuning. The U9 is a reference tuning with reference bass, the mid bass is tight and controlled and very detailed and quite fast for a dynamic. Worth noting, there is more power and rumble in the sub than the C9 Pro, the dynamic driver is definitely helping. The C9 Pro has more slam with a much more prominent bass line and overall much more bass presence.

The U9 mids clearly follow a very different tuning goal than the C9 Pro, with a clear focus on transparency and clarity and the U9 mids are very accurate with spot on timbre. The U9 lower mids are much leaner than the C9 Pro but there is good body nonetheless and similarly to the C9 Pro the upper mids region is safe. There is a bit more bite in the upper mids though and I love the U9 on Jazz. Compared to it’s older brother the C9 Pro is warmer with a pleasing tone that is north of accurate, and features a much fuller bodied and organic presentation that is not at the expanse of articulation which is impressive.

Treble might be where the U9 and C9 Pro are the most similar, with good lower treble sparkle and superb upper treble extension. The difference lies in tone, the U9 again is spot on reference with great accuracy while the C9 Pro has a warm hue that makes its treble sound natural and smooth. Another difference is the faster decay of the U9, with a longer note decay on the C9 Pro. Both the U9 and C9 Pro feature great air and resolution, with the U9 having a slight edge on imaging precision and soundstage by way of its more reference tuning.

Custom Art FIBAE7
The FIBAE7 has long been my favorite IEM, featuring another masterful organic tuning. It is, to me, the benchmark for organic tunings. How does it compare to the C9 Pro? Let’s check out.

img_6319.jpg

The FIBAE7 and C9 Pro have a similar soundstage although the C9 Pro is a bit taller and deeper. The FIBAE7 does feature a snappier presentation with more bite on the attack and a bit quicker note decay. The C9 Pro on the other hand is smoother with a smoother attack making for a more romantic presentation.

The FIBAE7 has significantly more sub bass presence than the C9 Pro. This is very apparent both in Sohn’s “Falling” and Aphex Twin “Ageispolis” where the FIBAE7 provide a more visceral presentation that few balanced armature IEMs are able to convey. The FIBAE7 also feature a snappier attack in the mid bass section, making for more slam factor. On the flipside the C9 Pro has more mid bass emphasis making for a stronger bass line presence. The bass line has quite a bit more power on the C9 Pro with a more textured delivery where the FIBAE7 is tighter and snappier.

The FIBAE7 mids are a bit different from the C9 Pro : while both have an organic tuning the FIBAE7 has more bite in the upper mids there is more crispness in hi hats, toms have much more snap and brass instruments have significantly more bite making the FIBAE7 clearer and snappier than the C9 Pro. On the flipside the C9 Pro features more lower mids presence with a fuller bodied presentation and where the FIBAE7 is overall more neutral natural the C9 Pro is warmer.

Last but not least, the FIBAE7 treble lower treble is a bit more energetic than the C9 Pro with more sparkle, not that the C9 Pro lacks sparkle but it’s a bit less energetic. Both feature nice weight in the lower treble with good note impact, but the C9 Pro delivery is a bit smoother with longer decay. Now upper treble, I hear the C9 Pro having more upper treble presence and while it’s less energetic than the FIBAE7 it has a bit more air and shimmer.

Overall if I had to sump it up, the FIBAE7 is more physical, with overall more energy thanks to the punchier bass, upper mids with more bite and a tad more sparkle in the lower treble. The C9 Pro on the other hand has a stronger rhythmic bass line with richer textures, fuller mids with an overall warmer tone and more delicate lower treble with more air and refinement up top.

Earsonics EM10
The EM10 is the long standing Earsonics 10 BA flagship and for good reason. How does it compare to the C9 Pro?

img_1391.jpg

The EM10 is another organic IEM in my collection and therefore a very interesting comparison to the C9 Pro.

The C9 Pro and EM10 share similarities in terms of bass. Like the C9 Pro, the EM10 feature a clear mid bass emphasis with a prominent bass line and a very satisfying slam. The EM10 is to this day my benchmark on mid bass, as I consider it the best mid bass a BA IEM can provide. Both the EM10 and C9 pro feature a longer than average decay in the mid bass with superb texture but I find the EM10 to be snappier than the C9 Pro with a snappier attack and better control. The EM10 also has significantly more sub bass presence with much better rumble providing additional physicality.

Like the C9 Pro, the EM10 lower mids have significant presence making for a fuller bodied presentation and both have exquisite seamless transition from the bass to the lower mids. I’d say the C9 Pro has a touch more body and is overall warmer than the EM10. Both feature slightly forward vocal placement but the C9 Pro is again sweeter. The upper mids are the clear differentiator : the EM10 has significantly more bite than the C9 Pro there, with more crispness and snap also making for a clearer and more energetic mid presentation where the C9 Pro is ever the refined romantic.

Now on to treble, the EM10 and the C9 Pro both offer a very natural and refined presentation, both offer good treble note weight with the C9 Pro having a bit more there. But again, the EM10 is more energetic with a tad more sparkle as well as a more accurate tone where the C9 Pro has a similarly engaging but more nuanced presentation with a warmer hue. Extension is superb on both and the upper treble is more similar than not, both provide excellent resolution and air.

Overall the EM10 and C9 Pro are two different takes on organic signature : the EM10 is the more energetic with snappier bass with more rumble, full but clearer mids with more bite and a tad more sparkle in the lower treble. The C9 Pro has a more nuanced and smoother delivery with an overall warmer tone and even fuller bodied presentation.

The more I read your impressions of the C9 Pro, the more I think they're going to be a great match for my tastes!
Well, except I'd whack a dynamic driver in there and jack up the sub-bass a bit, but that's just my bas(s)er instincts talking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But seriously, everything I was reading in the comparisons versus U9 and FIBAE7 were making me nod my head and think 'tick, tick, yep, yep' :D

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #96 of 96
C9 Pro are beauties, aren't they?
I never get tired of looking at them :)

IMG_1144.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back